Corsair wind noise-rear

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

kmooresc

Noticed this on several occasions, a fairly loud "wind" noise that is constant, appears at about 50-60+ and maybe in certain cross wind conditions. Comes from the "rear" I have the full moon roof, but doesn't seem to come from this area but the tailgate. Sounds like if you run off the road on the warning "bumps" had continuously for 50 miles yesterday! anyone else? Mine is going in tomorrow for the "rattle" and will put this on my list too. Update to follow... I hope!

bbf2530

Noticed this on several occasions, a fairly loud "wind" noise that is constant, appears at about 50-60+ and maybe in certain cross wind conditions. Comes from the "rear" I have the full moon roof, but doesn't seem to come from this area but the tailgate. Sounds like if you run off the road on the warning "bumps" had continuously for 50 miles yesterday! anyone else? Mine is going in tomorrow for the "rattle" and will put this on my list too. Update to follow... I hope!

Hi kmoore. Front windows open or closed?

Although this is probably not your issue, always open a back window a few inches whenever you have a front window opened. Otherwise, you will get a "harmonic resonance" from the air pressure of the open front windows. It will begin around 40-50 mph and get worse with speed. Opening a rear window relieves this pressure. This is due to the highly refined aerodynamics of new cars.

If that is not the cause of your problem, then add it to the service list for your Corsair.

Keep us updated and good luck.

Last edited:

kmooresc

Thanks for the reply. Valid point on Windows in my case all were closed. Ill report back as they pick her up in the am

kmooresc

Inspecting the Corsair prior to p/u today I noticed, what I feel. is a fairly significant "gap" in the closing of the tail gate, min 1/2 in all around second picture is near the bottom and by design appears wider, I can insert a finger into this area. Makes me question "wind" getting in this area and thus causing the noise. Interested in other's have this wide a gap. Made note to dealer etc results later. On a side note: the p/u service left me a NICE loaded Aviator.. OMG nice!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20200129_083252.jpg
    IMG_20200129_083252.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_20200129_083314.jpg
    IMG_20200129_083314.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 18

kmooresc

well, Lincoln had no answer, getting ready for a 2k trip so will test it out. This time I'll record the noise!!!

kmooresc

Up-date on the "wind-noise" after trip. Well it was there again, not all the time but what is of interest is this seems to occur when there is a cross wind of about 15+mph. coming at, if we made the grill is North (not actual compass heading but for reference only) , the wind is coming in at either a NNE or NNW direction. Makes me wonder if the wind is hitting the grill grids etc and setting up a vibration of sorts. Maybe Lincoln needs to throw these back in the wind tunnel for more testing.

Steve5

Up-date on the "wind-noise" after trip. Well it was there again, not all the time but what is of interest is this seems to occur when there is a cross wind of about 15+mph. coming at, if we made the grill is North (not actual compass heading but for reference only) , the wind is coming in at either a NNE or NNW direction. Makes me wonder if the wind is hitting the grill grids etc and setting up a vibration of sorts. Maybe Lincoln needs to throw these back in the wind tunnel for more testing.
It took me awhile to realize that the wind noise in mine was the fan for the ventilated seats on high speed. Could that be what you're hearing?

kmooresc

Don't think so as I have not had that on when this happened. Yesterday had this happen again 70 mph crosswind of about 20 I may have isolated it to the sunroof slid the interior cover back and listened yep was there. I put my hand up and along this area forward and could feel vibrations. I opened the sunroof think went away.. closed came back. I believe I captured this on my phone and will relay to dealer. Just strange. I'll blast my seats and see what happens. Thanks for the update. Will keep all posted...

ForgedCrank

Just a wild guess on my part, but could just be the lift gate isn't adjusted properly. We've had ours in the shop for various reasons since new. Some of those things were poor assembly/workmanship. Among them were the hood and lift gate alignment. I'm wondering if either your gate latch isn't pulling the gate in far enough when it locks, or if the entire thing is just out of adjustment and cockeyed and not sealing well.

Divotdog

I have noticed a 'thump' noise seemingly under the back of the vehicle when a car in the opposite direction passes at 50 mph or more on a 2 lane road. Any thoughts?

G-296426

kmooresc please post what it is. I’m having the same issue. It is coming from the front of the panoramic sunroof in the middle. When I push on the glass it goes away. Took mine back to dealer twice and they keep telling me nothing is wrong

kmooresc

kmooresc please post what it is. I’m having the same issue. It is coming from the front of the panoramic sunroof in the middle. When I push on the glass it goes away. Took mine back to dealer twice and they keep telling me nothing is wrong
Hi, just saw the message. Mine was taken in numerous times for this "noise" and was coming from the front area around the sun roof. They ended up finally hearing this and if I recall they replaced the rubber trim? around it, I'll look for my paperwork on this and post so can see exactly. Good luck hope they find it, because when it makes the noise it makes the noise, conditions just had to be right!

kmooresc

Hi, just saw the message. Mine was taken in numerous times for this "noise" and was coming from the front area around the sun roof. They ended up finally hearing this and if I recall they replaced the rubber trim? around it, I'll look for my paperwork on this and post so can see exactly. Good luck hope they find it, because when it makes the noise it makes the noise, conditions just had to be right!
Found the report attached, pdf so far so good on this but with the limited driving haven't taken real long trips, just a few hundred mile one

Attachments

• Lincoln Wind.pdf
    567.2 KB · Views: 27

Srjrippey

I am beyond frustrated. I just bought a 2021 Corsair Reserve, I took it to the dearlership I bought it at and they could not hear the windnoise, I drove it out of state to my other home and took it the local dealership in Santa Rosa Ca and I was told they heard the noise, very loud and its NORMAL! HECK NO! I am not okay with this. I cannot even talk on the phone, people cannot hear me on the other line. They think I have the windows open! They said they are closing the ticket and saying its normal and there is nothing they can do, they drove another Corsair and said that one was even worse. I am not okay with this. This is supposed to be a luxury car. My first Lincoln, I usually drive Chryslers, they are solid vehicles, no noise at all. Can someone please guide me on what to do?

kmooresc

Hi- sorry to hear of your "wind" problem, Not sure if you saw the pdf file I attached on previous post concerning this. (I attached for convenience) During my several months of addressing this with my dealer and even "recording" the noise it finally happened to them.. yeah. They did change out some of the ?moulding and since then, knock on wood, no wind noise. yeah. My dealer in SC, maybe your dealer could call them and ask? what they had done. My dealer is O.C. Welch, Hardeeville SC New Lincoln Vehicles for Sale Hardeeville SC | OC Welch Lincoln | Near Savannah, GA
No, not normal stay with it and don't let them hoodwink you. I listened to this wind for 5 hrs onetime and 3 hrs on other trips. While I like my car (just turned 9000 miles after 1 1/2 years. I am overall disappointed in the Corsair in terms of quality. My most recent problem (sometimes it doesn't remember fob settings) but started the vehicle up, the seat kept moving forward to the point my chest was being pushed into the steering wheel, and I'm not a big guy.. I was being crushed, quickly shut the car off, seat went back as it should per my config. worked ok after that... but!!!!! poor QC on this. Have another "rattle" drives me crazy I didn't buy this car to be annoyed all the time. So, hope this helps.. thinking of trading already and I shouldn't have to feel this way. Keep us posted

Attachments

• Lincoln Wind.pdf
    567.2 KB · Views: 9

HotrodLinkin

Blast it with a power washer, look for leaks. Sounds like a weatherstrip issue. It is a sensitive human assembly task, no robots can do it.

syl

I feel for you on the wind noise and hope you stick with it to get it fixed. They can't possibly consider it "normal" when the car was marketed as being a "mobile sanctuary". Does this *sound* like a sanctuary to you??? One of the key selling features for me was how *quiet* the car is at highway speed. So, no, what you're dealing with is definitely not normal.
My first Lincoln, I usually drive Chryslers, they are solid vehicles, no noise at all. Can someone please guide me on what to do?
I felt compelled to comment on the bit I quoted above. You and I clearly have not driven the same Chryslers. I used to be quite loyal to them, and kept my last two for 13 years and 16 years, respectively. Arguably, the cars must have had some quality in them to last that long, but I do think that I deserve at least some of the credit. 2020, though, pre-lockdown, signaled it was time to look elsewhere. I ordered, then everything got locked down, so I waited. And waited. And finally was rewarded in August ... Will I still love it in 2035? Stay tuned ...

bob851985

I opened the attachment and reading the tech notes isolated noise to r/f door window run. are they talking about panoramic roof or one of the front car doors

bob851985

I looked up that part number and thats in the car door not panoramic vista roof. Was your noise from the roof or door. From reading I thought it was from roof area. I have the same thing at highway speed in cross wind .

bob851985

I searched and looked up at carcomplaints.com found TSB#SSM 49121 and TBS#SSM 49087. Will take to dealer hope they fix it and not just say can't replicate the noise.