Corsair transmission problem , car bucking at low speeds

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

Corsart

My 2020 Corsair transmission , bucks , at low speeds . What is wrong . Dealer tells me that is normal
"Bucks"? We've gotten a couple the last few days. No, this is not Normal". Mine shifts smoothly from a stop.

When you say "The dealer" said it's normal, who was that exactly? Did a service tech drive the car and experience it and report that, or was it the service writer? They aren't techs, so unless an actual tech experienced your car after a detailed description by you, go back and do so now.

My bet is trans computer update is in order.

syl

Mine (2020 Standard, 2.0T) does nothing of the sort ... Very smooth at all speeds.

Corsart

The trans is actually one of the nicest aspects of the car and consistent with the "Sanctuary" experience they tried to create.

Schante78

I usually get a quick jolt if it is set on Excite drive mode. However, I do get a knock under the footboard when accelerating and they are still trying to diagnose my Cosair has been in the shop more than it has been driven

G-361010

2021, 2.0T, mine bucks and surges as well, Dealer says it’s my driving style. I guess I’m stuck with it now…something I never thought I’d say while owning a Lincoln.

Bg1

2020 2.3l and it certainly does this, the folks blaming it on driving style are just wrong, or have a different calibration

Mine does this in stop and go traffic with the smart cruise control on. Any driving mode. It does it a little when I control the pedal as well

negates some of the benefit of the traffic jam assist

syl

Mine does this in stop and go traffic with the smart cruise control on.
Hrmm... I tried that at one point and my girlfriend commented that it wasn't as smooth as I normally drive. It *was* accelerating and decelerating abruptly, but not specifically on the shifts. It was just the cruise control reacting abruptly as traffic ebbed and flowed. If you're feeling the jerkiness on transmission shifts, then clearly what I'm describing is different.
negates some of the benefit of the traffic jam assist
Yeah, I kind of felt the same way, but when I tried it again more recently it was much closer to how I normally drive. I suspect that's more a function of a different traffic flow than the cruise control behaving differently, though. I'm still learning how this car behaves, of course.

bigblue2007

Boston, MA
It seems many people complain about this. My 2020 does it too. I drove a loaner 2.0 and it does it and I also drove a 2.3 loaner and it did it but not a pronounced. Must be a quirk of the car.

JB IN AZ

Would someone please give me directions how to make my '21 Corsair 2.0T "buck"...so I can understand and feel what you all are mentioning... please? Is it just when the car is cold? At what speeds does it do it? For those who have driven a manual transmission extensively, is the feeling the same as when you are in first gear in a manual, you haven't shifted to 2nd yet, and are slightly increase and decrease the pressure on the accelerator pedal?

Thank you

Bg1

Would someone please give me directions how to make my '21 Corsair 2.0T "buck"...so I can understand and feel what you all are mentioning... please? Is it just when the car is cold? At what speeds does it do it? For those who have driven a manual transmission extensively, is the feeling the same as when you are in first gear in a manual, you haven't shifted to 2nd yet, and are slightly increase and decrease the pressure on the accelerator pedal?

Thank you
Yea, it does feel a bit like you are in first gear and decelerate

all I can say is between roughly 8 and 16 Mph, change speed around, especially deceleration, and it will do that. It is not terrible, it feels like a very bad shift though, or what you describe.

for me it does it when following in stop and go traffic with adaptive on

bigblue2007

Boston, MA
Yea, it does feel a bit like you are in first gear and decelerate

all I can say is between roughly 8 and 16 Mph, change speed around, especially deceleration, and it will do that. It is not terrible, it feels like a very bad shift though, or what you describe.

for me it does it when following in stop and go traffic with adaptive on
I mostly feel it in stop and go traffic. Like Bg1 states 8-16 mph.

easyrider1

Thank you
Yes, very much like that of a manual transmission, well maybe not as harsh as that of a manual transmission, specifically when the clutch hasn't been depressed before the engine (RPMs) get too low, and while shifting from one gear to the next.
IMO, an obvious hiccup in software programming associated with the transmission, or simply that of some very poor engineering of the newer (8) speed transmissions placed into the various Lincoln SUVs. eg. Corsair/Nautilus.
I haven't looked into whether this particular issue is present on the larger Lincoln Aviator/Navigator models as I believe those models are equipped with a (10) speed transmission which may be somewhat different.

While the issue may be more prominent when the vehicle has been first started and cold or when it's simply been sitting a while, it is still noticeable to those who are in tune with the different driving characteristics experienced between one vehicle and another and certainly appears to be more prevalent at lower speeds as previously mentioned while the gearing of trans. is shifting back and forth between one gear and another and there is no substantial pressure on the accelerator.

Note: While I'm afraid there will always be those who are indifferent to such issues for a variety of reasons. there are however sufficient owners and Lincoln service advisers & techs who have been asked to look into such concerns, and who have also verified the same but with no real fix on hand, so I expect the issue is nonetheless a true characteristic associated with these specific Luxury Automobiles offered by the Lincoln Motor Company of which should no doubt further address owners concerns and in turn provide some positive resolution of same, IMHO. : )

Last edited:

Misstee37

2021, 2.0T, mine bucks and surges as well, Dealer says it’s my driving style. I guess I’m stuck with it now…something I never thought I’d say while owning a Lincoln.
same here! I was just told I don't know how to drive a turbo charged car. They said it is normal..which is BS

Misstee37

Yes, very much like that of a manual transmission, well maybe not as harsh as that of a manual transmission, specifically when the clutch hasn't been depressed before the engine (RPMs) get too low, and while shifting from one gear to the next.
IMO, an obvious hiccup in software programming associated with the transmission, or simply that of some very poor engineering of the newer (8) speed transmissions placed into the various Lincoln SUVs. eg. Corsair/Nautilus.
I haven't looked into whether this particular issue is present on the larger Lincoln Aviator/Navigator models as I believe those models are equipped with a (10) speed transmission which may be somewhat different.

While the issue may be more prominent when the vehicle has been first started and cold or when it's simply been sitting a while, it is still noticeable to those who are in tune with the different driving characteristics experienced between one vehicle and another and certainly appears to be more prevalent at lower speeds as previously mentioned while the gearing of trans. is shifting back and forth between one gear and another and there is no substantial pressure on the accelerator.

Note: While I'm afraid there will always be those who are indifferent to such issues for a variety of reasons. there are however sufficient owners and Lincoln service advisers & techs who have been asked to look into such concerns, and who have also verified the same but with no real fix on hand, so I expect the issue is nonetheless a true characteristic associated with these specific Luxury Automobiles offered by the Lincoln Motor Company of which should no doubt further address owners concerns and in turn provide some positive resolution of same, IMHO. : )
I drove a Ford Escape before this and it drives much better than the Corsair...I don't think they really care. I was told this is normal and if it doesn't show up on the diagnostics, I guess it doesn't exist! 🤬

JB IN AZ

Someone upthread mentioned it was happening in stop and go traffic with the adaptive cruise control. I wonder if that poster has the distance set too close on the adaptive cruise control? I have mine set to two bars and I don't seem to have that issue. Just a thought.

bigblue2007

Boston, MA
Someone upthread mentioned it was happening in stop and go traffic with the adaptive cruise control. I wonder if that poster has the distance set too close on the adaptive cruise control? I have mine set to two bars and I don't seem to have that issue. Just a thought.
I don’t have adaptive cruise and it happens to me.

Macsterguy

Texas
They learned it from Steve Jobs: "Your holding the phone wrong"... Ans, he got away with it too :D

My wife now drives my Lincoln Corsair. She likes it but she has always been easy to please and that's one of the things I love about her.

The longer I own it the less I am impressed with the Corsair... I think there are far better choices in this price range.