Corsair Dead Battery Syndrome

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

ThisIsLincolnWay

Your Key FOB unlocks you car 3 feet away and 8-10 feet for Lincoln Embrace to function. This is noted in your owners manual from your app or physical owners book.

Cekkk

Hi Peedue and welcome to the Lincoln Forums.. My opinion: It would not be unusual for the battery to die in a vehicle that has been sitting for ~5 months, and which has most likely been driven very little, if at all. Especially with the pandemic going on. And even if the battery had not been completely killed by the ~5 months lack of use, a 20 mile drive may not be enough to sufficiently recharge it.

Ideally, should a Dealer try to mitigate these situations from happening? Ideally, yes. But it is not an ideal world. Especially nowadays. And the Service Department is not going to go out every day to check all the batteries in all the cars in the lot, charge weak ones, replace dead ones etc, until it is necessary. It is a lot of work for a lot full of cars. And they would not be reimbursed by Lincoln/Ford for warranty costs until the vehicle is purchased.

A better idea, would be to do what most Dealers in my area seem to do. They would send out an employee to bring the car to the door of the showroom for you. If it does not start, they immediately jump it in the lot, out of sight of the customer (in most cases anyway). In this way, the customer is not awkwardly trying to start a dead car.

I am not minimizing your concerns, and I realize it will put a bad taste in the mouth of some buyers. But Lincoln is not the only manufacturer having these issues nowadays. So I am simply pointing out a different perspective.

Good luck with your shopping.
I have seen new cars being charged as I drove past dealership lots virtually all of my life.

bbf2530

I have seen new cars being charged as I drove past dealership lots virtually all of my life.

Hi Cekkk. Of course they charge vehicles in the lot when they need to start one...LOL. And I have also seen Dealers charge vehicles. But I did not say Dealers do not charge batteries in the lot.

The obvious point was: They do not "go out every day to check all the batteries in all the cars in the lot. Then charge weak ones, replace dead ones etc, until it is necessary."

So it is entirely possible a customer will come in, ask to test drive a particular vehicle, and the battery may be dead if it has not been driven lately/checked lately/charged lately. Then they will charge it.

Or they may be moving stock around and find a vehicle (or several) with a dead battery. So they will charge it. However, it is not usually a daily ritual at most Dealerships to lift all the hoods of a hundred or more cars, checking the batteries, charging the weak/dead ones etc. Just so the battery can go dead again (and possibly again), before the vehicle is test driven and/or purchased.

Hope that clears up the confusion.

Good luck.

G-65073

I'm calling the dealer today. Went to the supermarket last night and when I came out of market car struggled to start. When it started many messages showed up saying many what systems were disabled. Following the messages the power steering returned but the computer was dark, the radio didn't work and the mirrors didn't open automatically. Bought this car aug 2020 and the dealer replaced the battery in dec of 2020. After reading all these messages I am more than mad that this car has an ongoing problem. I spent alot of money for this car and expected it to be a great car. Beside this problem there have been many others.

Cekkk

I have about 13,000 miles on my 2020 corsair. I have experienced none difficulties discussed above. But I don’t know why I haven’t. If I get near the car with my key fob, just puttering around the garage, lights go on, squeaks like metal parts rubbing together without lubrication, and just a bunch of noises that I’ve never experienced since I had that fender bender as a 17 year old back in the late 50s.

About half the time when I enter the car a message pops up to start the ignition before I run down my battery. What the hell is that all about? Maybe I’m just reaching in the Center consul for a Kleenex so I can blow my nose. Is there no way to shut this car off?

heywardjr

SUPPORTING MEMBER
I found with my 2016 Ford Fusion that the keys inside the house were a draw as well as all the other electronics that stay on all the time. I ended up buying off Amazon lead lined bags that you put key fobs in so that your car is not constantly connecting to those keys and unlocking the car. I read where thieves will look for cars parked close to the house or for open garage doors and because the keys are so close by, they can take off with the car. Not sure what happens once they drive off and are away from the house but have no key with them but these bags keep the keys from being a risk and also affecting battery drain. That and a good battery charger and I stopped having battery issues since the cars sit for weeks at a time.

mfjj

... Not sure what happens once they drive off and are away from the house but have no key with them

The Fusion will continue to operate until it's turned off. A key is needed to turn it back on. The Corsair is the same, but will actually pop up a message on the screen when it's turned off with no key detected, and give you a few seconds to turn it back on without a key.

heywardjr

SUPPORTING MEMBER
ForgedCrank is spot on. I am just retired but I have worked out of my home for 20+ years and have a Fusion and a Sport Trac. Both sit for weeks at a time and I have had to put battery chargers on both. I also upgraded the OEM batteries with AGM type which are more robust. I can tell you that if I did not have those chargers on, then the batteries would be drained in a few weeks. It's all the electronics these beasts have and even though the car is off, it is still broadcasting to listen for key fobs and waiting for people to walk up to the door, etc. It's really not a big deal to hook up a charger and have the cord come out a port in the front of the car so all you do is hook up the cord. That's it. It's like insurance so that I always have 100% charge. I have buddy's that have done the same as me for the same reason. We all work at home and out spouses tend to do the gorocery shopping and trips so our vehicles sit an awful lot without being driven. I just sold my Fusion and am am about to sell my Sport Trac tomorrow as I am getting the 22 Corsair GT this next week or so. I will immediately put the charger on that Corsair.

bbf2530

Hi gang. Just to avoid confusion: A keyfob in the the house will not allow someone to access your vehicle, start and steal it. The keyfob needs to be within approximately 4 feet of the ignition switch for the vehicle to start. Just try it sometime.
And it needs to be within the same approximate distance of a door for the touch/keyless entry feature to unlock the door.
And within approximately 10 feet of the vehicle for the Lincoln Embrace" feature to light up the car when approaching.

Now, that being said: If a keyfob is hung up in the house too close to a door/outside wall etc, there are scanner/code readers that some sophisticated thieves use, which can clone the keyfob transmittal code. Then the scanner can be used as a transmitter to mimic the keyfob in order to unlock/start/steal the vehicle.

However, this scanner is needed. The vehicle can not be started without the key in the vehicle otherwise. Remote starting excluded, of course.

Hope this information helps and good luck.