Corsair Dead Battery Syndrome

afh3

Minnesota
While i'm sure there are myriad reasons for the problems described here, for me there was one solution.

To recap the issues I had:
  • Could drive the car 180 miles, and the next day the battery was so dead (~10..5V) that it would take an hour on a charger to get it restarted.
  • Had the battery replaced three if not four times - lost track - and that would fix the problem for a few days, and then it was back to no-start conditions within a day of being driven.
  • The dealership "diagnosed" the problem as a cell-phone charger that was left plugged into the 12v power-socket. I removed it and within two days the car would not start again.
  • Even after charging the battery (myself), the electronics were wonky. Radio station presets would reset, phone-as-a-key didn't work, auto-unlock on door handle touch would no longer restore the driver-profile
Took it back to the dealership (for like the 6th time) and while I was on the phone with them, and being told they could not reproduce the problem, the Lincoln Way app sent me a notification about the car being in deep-sleep mode (a precursor to the failure 100% of the time). When I suggested they check again, (on the same call) they could no longer access the vehicle remotely either - even though they had just test-driven it.

That is, apparently, what it took. They claim that they had to get Lincoln tech support involved in order to ultimately identify the problem as a failed body-control-module that was putting a drain on the system intermittently.

Once replaced (it took > 6 weeks to get the part) the problems are gone:
  • Phone-as-a-key: 100% (for the first time ever)
  • Can be parked for a week or more and starts immediately.
  • Auto-start/stop works exactly as described in the owner's manual (for the first time ever)
  • SYNC and the audio system now work, and do not reset themselves on a daily basis.
  • The auto-unlock now sets the correct driver-profile upon touching the door (for the first time ever)
The vehicle now has absolutely no electronic issues (that I am aware of) at this time, nor has it since the BCM was replaced.

Just sayin'

Peedue

Me. My Corsair, purchased in Nov. and made in Sept. has never had a dead battery. Me.

That's not the issue, though, it's why your Corsair has this condition. A dead battery..and multiple dead batteries.... in new car is not normal, even with all the electronics and even infrequently driven. Yours has a drain somewhere. There's an explanation for it. The dealer should be able to pin point it.
To clarify........I do not own a Corsair.........yet.
I want to get one but was worried. See my first thread on this topic page. Thanks for your input.

Peedue

While i'm sure there are myriad reasons for the problems described here, for me there was one solution.

To recap the issues I had:
  • Could drive the car 180 miles, and the next day the battery was so dead (~10..5V) that it would take an hour on a charger to get it restarted.
  • Had the battery replaced three if not four times - lost track - and that would fix the problem for a few days, and then it was back to no-start conditions within a day of being driven.
  • The dealership "diagnosed" the problem as a cell-phone charger that was left plugged into the 12v power-socket. I removed it and within two days the car would not start again.
  • Even after charging the battery (myself), the electronics were wonky. Radio station presets would reset, phone-as-a-key didn't work, auto-unlock on door handle touch would no longer restore the driver-profile
Took it back to the dealership (for like the 6th time) and while I was on the phone with them, and being told they could not reproduce the problem, the Lincoln Way app sent me a notification about the car being in deep-sleep mode (a precursor to the failure 100% of the time). When I suggested they check again, (on the same call) they could no longer access the vehicle remotely either - even though they had just test-driven it.

That is, apparently, what it took. They claim that they had to get Lincoln tech support involved in order to ultimately identify the problem as a failed body-control-module that was putting a drain on the system intermittently.

Once replaced (it took > 6 weeks to get the part) the problems are gone:
  • Phone-as-a-key: 100% (for the first time ever)
  • Can be parked for a week or more and starts immediately.
  • Auto-start/stop works exactly as described in the owner's manual (for the first time ever)
  • SYNC and the audio system now work, and do not reset themselves on a daily basis.
  • The auto-unlock now sets the correct driver-profile upon touching the door (for the first time ever)
The vehicle now has absolutely no electronic issues (that I am aware of) at this time, nor has it since the BCM was replaced.

Just sayin'
Man, quite a story. Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

Corsart

To clarify........I do not own a Corsair.........yet.
I want to get one but was worried. See my first thread on this topic page. Thanks for your input.
Right, but my Corsair still hasn't had a battery issue, and I still think those that do have some other fault which needs to be addressed.

The problem in hanging out in forums like these before purchase is that you get an unrepresentative sample of experiences...either by actual owners who are here to complain or try to resolve a problem... or the the know it all types who have never set foot in the car...both of which are totally unrepresentative of the vast majority of experiences from actual owners. I love my Corsair and have had no issues or problems with it, and aside from the reality that anything as complicated as a modern car is bound to have problems at some point, I have no regrets.

I'd encourage you to trust your own experience on an extended test drive rather than the anonymous bits and bytes of un contextualized information that are not necessarily representative of the vast experiences of Corsairship or your own.

Last edited:

Peedue

Right, but my Corsair still hasn't had a battery issue, and I still think those that do have some other fault which needs to be addressed.

The problem in hanging out in forums like these before purchase is that you get an unrepresentative sample of experiences...either by actual owners who are here to complain or try to resolve a problem... or the the know it all types who have never set foot in the car...both of which are totally unrepresentative of the vast majority of experiences from actual owners. I love my Corsair and have had no issues or problems with it, and aside from the reality that anything as complicated as a modern car is bound to have problems at some point, I have no regrets.

I'd encourage you to trust your own experience on an extended test drive rather than the anonymous bits and bytes of un contextualized information that are not necessarily representative of the vast experiences of Corsairship or your own.
Thanks. Your comments are appreciated and very helpful.
Thanks again.

chrisholland03

I agree wholeheartedly, but will also add that these conversations are helpful if/when you ever experience an issue. Hopefully they're never useful ;)

Corsart

I agree wholeheartedly, but will also add that these conversations are helpful if/when you ever experience an issue. Hopefully they're never useful ;)
It's not the conversation that is at issue, it's the tone..often of both OP and responders which is often unhelpful and unnecessary. The snark, the buffoonish ness, and the displays of self importance substituting for actual accuracy.

Sable95

We purchased our Corsair 2.3 Reserve in August. Unfortunately for us, it was built in September 2019. We barely drive it, especially since Xmas. For weeks, it has been in battery saver mode, but today it was just dead & I had to use the key to even enter the car. It looks like we have to buy a battery trickle / charger, & hopefully we won't have more problems. Any recommendations for which trickle / charger to buy. Thanks

Marc

I will install the No-Co direct mount and double outlet port for charger and block heater.

GENIUS2D_FRONT_RENDER@2x.jpg

with 1613943563801.png

ToeKnee46

For the past 15 months I've read where many Corsair owners were plagued with dead batteries, multiple situations. I felt this was strange, especially concerning something so basic, so fundamental. Today I visited a Lincoln dealer in metro Atlanta, Ga. to test drive a brand new 2020 Reserve model, 2.3 engine, a car made in August 2020.....not that old. It wouldn't turn over, battery completely dead. Wonderful way to start a test drive. They jump started it I test drove it approx. 20 miles, plenty to recharge the battery we thought. Got back to the dealership, turned off the ignition, tried to re-start..........battery completely dead.
Question : How does the Lincoln Div. allow this to continue ??? Lincoln, trying to re-establish itself as a SERIOUS brand. A division of Ford, who builds more cars and trucks than I could keep track of. Is this problem with the Corsair with EVERY Corsair built ?? How can they survive ?? Needless to say the car is terrific in all ways..........except when you go to start it up. What the heck is going on ???
My Corsair is one year old (February 10, 2020). I've already had the battery replaced. There's definitely a problem.