coolant leak

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

mark henicle

I had my 2013 MKS to a shop for the annual PA State inspection and the tech noticed a leak in the area of a weep hole for the water pump. He believes the cover needs to come off to change the pump and typically that calls for removal of the engine. Does that sound correct? Anyone had it done? Any idea the approximate cost?

mark henicle

Water pump is a known problem. Get it taken care of quickly. It's an internal water pump and will leak into the crankcase, causing catastrophic failure.
I moved it over my pit so i could take the cover off and see what i can see and the coolant is running off the oil pan and the ac compressor. About all i can tell. Is that a confirmation sign? lincoln  leak.JPG

jkeaton

Winston Salem, NC
3.7 water pump is internal. You don’t have to remove the engine to change it but you have to tear into the engine pretty good to get to it. It’s not going to be cheap if you are paying a shop to do it.

mark henicle

3.7 water pump is internal. You don’t have to remove the engine to change it but you have to tear into the engine pretty good to get to it. It’s not going to be cheap if you are paying a shop to do it.
I am a pretty good repairman on Triumphs, Saab's, Corvairs and Jaguar's, but i doubt i could even get the pulley off. Dealers around here have little stock for sale, so i guess i am at their mercy. Thanks for your help. I really hoped Lincoln was going to be my brand forever after 2 serious losses with Cadillac but i think a chain driven water pump is about as dumb as it gets.

C Krohn

Fort Worth, TX
I had one Cadillac. Never again. I currently own my second and third Lincolns. They have had few problems. My 2013 MKS 3.7 has 80k on the odometer, and hasn't had any of the problems most often mentioned on this forum.