Coolant Bleeding

lincolnaviation

Originally the vehicle was not heating up properly, so I thought maybe it had one of those garbage fail safe thermostats that got stuck in the open position. So, I replaced the thermostat today, only to find out that the old one was functioning properly when tested. Which leads me to believe the person who had it did not bleed it properly when replacing the coolant. It was a real bear getting the T-stat housing off and what not, but now its done and I'm ready to add coolant. I can see what looks like a bleeder screw on the top metal cooling pipe. It looks like it can be removed with a small ratchet. The issue I am having... I've broken two ratchets trying to get the thing off! I don't understand why it would take so much force to remove it, its just a bleeder valve, most cars just require a screw driver for removal with minimal force needed on a little plastic fitting. Is it common for this to happen? Just looking for advice and appreciate any input. Thanks!

Vehicle is a 2004 Lincoln Aviator

driller

Morgantown, WV

lincolnaviation

I did get it off. Took a blow torch to it, came right off the 3rd try. Sorry for the confusion, its a bleed "cap" that sits on the top radiator hose. It seems to be getting to temp properly now, still a tad cool though...

Marcajirca

Hello
I have the same problem, I have a lincoln continental 98. I can not open the bleeding cap, I am attaching photos. I was thinking taking out with a torch but just in case and the end I will need to replace it. somebody know the exactly name of the "cap" and where can I buy it. so far I tried bleeding cap, bleding valve, threaded plug . And nothig but the pics show want I mean

driller

Morgantown, WV

Marcajirca

Hello Driller
Thanks for your answer,do you have the ling about the plug on ebay. I was trying to find it with different names but not lucky. Or what name do you use for searching on ebay?
BBL

Slick Fan

Utah

Marcajirca

wow thank a lot for the link. Do you know if Mark VIII and Continental have the same engine. I wonder if this cap will fit my lincoln continental 98

driller

Morgantown, WV

Slick Fan

Utah
I know this is an old post but wanted to add this eBay plug for the crossover tube. I had the standard 1/4" drive plug that stripped out on me so I bought this one (1998 Lincoln Mark VIII). I think it's a lot better design.
SWEET!! I just so happens that I have the sweet fortune (grumble-grumble) of opening up the cooling system on my Aviator this week. My old plug isn't stripped, but it does have plier teeth marks on it (I added a few more), and was going to get a new OEM one to replace it. This stainless one is obviously far superior to OE.
Thanks for this! :)

HTML