Convince me to get a Continental over the CT6...

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

Action

Aug 12, 2005
Phoenix, AZ 85008-1418
This thread is about a choice between a Lincoln or Cadillac. And Cadillac is the same as Lincoln regarding what kind of car to build. Cadillac has not made a full-sized car (CT6) in the US since model year 2020. Even then Cadillac sold under 8000 units in model year 2019.
(I never look at the last model year as everyone knows the model is getting terminated)
That is not enough units unless the price charged is in serious 6 figures.

Manufacturers in the full-sized US Lux car market are all foreign makers. Mostly European.
The ones with volume are BMW and Mercedes. Add Audi, Gensis & Volvo. Or Bentley and Rolls if you OK with $200+K price point. But the last two only sell 5 to 10 thousand units worldwide. Ford and GM are not that kind of company. Nor do either of the US companies have the reputation in dwindling full sized market to sustain sales over 20,000+ units.

In the world called perfect, I want a personal luxury car. AKA Mark Series.
I have a Diamond Anniversary Mark VIII that needs a lot of work. (Which may never happen)
But getting a new or newer one of those is not in the cards.
So, I drive a full-sized SUV. Not my first choice and Lincoln does not make my first choice. They do not make Town Car either for the same reason.

Action

Last edited:

MarkX

Aug 31, 2020

I guess if I want a large luxury sedan, I'll have to go back to either the 7 series, A8 or S-Class in the future. I'll try and grab a Conti while they are still relatively newish even though they are discontinued, maybe one day Americans will produce a large lux car again?
Good luck with finding the right car which is very important. I hope the one consolation on the “discontinued” issue is that both car models you were considering were in that category. I cannot believe the SUV/crossover infatuation will endure so perhaps there will come a time when this sector revives. It will probably be EV, though.

edgardop73

Sep 24, 2020
I own a 1990 Town Car and a 2017 Continental. I understand the nostalgia of the Town Car, It's really reliable, doesn't spend that much gas on long trips, its comfortable. But as everything in life for me it has become kind of obsolete. I have problems finding parts and mechanics willing to work on it. Something as a self dimming mirror, or AC controls are mostly non existent in the market or people want and arm and a leg for them. Don't get me wrong, Its a wonderful car. But my Continental is a different breed. Faster, with All wheel drive, A lot of features not available in my Town Car.
As of Cadillac. I looked at them when I was deciding. Liked the CT6 and the XTS, but as someone else said, the style of the Continental grabbed my attention. Is a car that says "look at me; I'm kind of a classic styled car but with a lot of goodies". The Continental makes you feel you're in a luxury car, the Cadillac makes you feel you're in a sport/ luxury.

Norms1stTC

Aug 12, 2020
I own a 1990 Town Car and a 2017 Continental. I understand the nostalgia of the Town Car, It's really reliable, doesn't spend that much gas on long trips, its comfortable. But as everything in life for me it has become kind of obsolete. I have problems finding parts and mechanics willing to work on it. Something as a self dimming mirror, or AC controls are mostly non existent in the market or people want and arm and a leg for them. Don't get me wrong, Its a wonderful car. But my Continental is a different breed. Faster, with All wheel drive, A lot of features not available in my Town Car.
As of Cadillac. I looked at them when I was deciding. Liked the CT6 and the XTS, but as someone else said, the style of the Continental grabbed my attention. Is a car that says "look at me; I'm kind of a classic styled car but with a lot of goodies". The Continental makes you feel you're in a luxury car, the Cadillac makes you feel you're in a sport/ luxury.
Let me know when you want to sell the Town Car

Jeyaar456

Aug 29, 2019
Was it not the case that big new USA safety regs, air bags, crumples zones, all that malarkey were mooted for every new car in the future and that Ford thought that it was not financially feasible to incorporate such technology into the dinosaur panther platform, it had to go. It's a wonder it lasted so long into the 2000s.

jhartz

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Jan 19, 2018
Virginia Beach, VA
Saw an LS500 in a parking lot yesterday: As much room as my Reserve

Action

Aug 12, 2005
Phoenix, AZ 85008-1418
Was it not the case that big new USA safety regs, air bags, crumples zones, all that malarkey were mooted for every new car in the future and that Ford thought that it was not financially feasible to incorporate such technology into the dinosaur panther platform, it had to go. It's a wonder it lasted so long into the 2000s.
No the demise of Panther was the buying public, stopped buying. It lastes as long as it did because buyers were buying. Until they did not.

Panther chassis had been revised in 2003 to account for a number of things. Later it was thought the Panther models would be merged with a smaller RWD platform later that decade.
In 2005 Ford made the D3 chassis (500 & Montego) A FWD platform that was selling rather well. And successor fleet sales (Police) were being shifted to this platform.
By 2007 the CV/GM was nearly fleet sales only
2008 the economic down turn was in full swing
In 2009 Ford pulled the pin on any RWD platform and announced the end of Panther for model year 2011. There just wasn't that many retail sales. Much of the sales of the platform in the last 3 to 5 years was fleet.

Action