Continuing Level 2 charging issues with 2021 Corsair GT

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

PaddyH01

Illinois
My five week old 2021 Corsair GT PHEV has less than 700 miles on it mostly from taking it to the dealer over and over. When we received the car it would charge to between 30 and 36 miles (100% charge) using the Lincoln 120 VAC Level 1 charger. The official Lincoln published number is 28 miles for a 100% charge. I could not try the Level 2 Lincoln charger because I has no 6-20R socket. I had a certified electrician put in a 14-50R socket and 240 VAC wiring for use with a 3rd party Level 2 charger. The Lincoln Level 1 charger suddenly began to pop the GCFI socket it was plugged in to and the charger stopped working. It has fried the 120 VAC socket. The dealer replaced the unit, I replaced the GCFI. I have had three 3rd party Level 2 chargers (two Grizzl-e and one emporia, all returned via RMA), none would charge the car. I had the same electrician check his wiring twice to find that 240 VAC is at the socket. I bought a 18" long 14-50P to 6-20R cable to try the Lincoln Level 2 charger without having to replace the 14-50R socket. The Lincoln Level 2 charger works off and on now and charged the car to 26 miles for two days but today it charged to 22 miles for 100% charge. The high-voltage battery and/or the high-voltage charger onboard the car seem to be slowly dying. The dealer insists it is my wiring (now checked three times), all three of the 3rd party charger(s) from two manufacturers, the 14-50P to 6-20R conversion cable their Service Dept recommended; you name it but not the car. They are now talking about sending over their electrician to be sure mine was not a simpleton (I may have to pay him) and/or another plug in Ford/Lincoln to try the charger. This is suppose to be a high quality, luxury, $65K Lincoln. I had never spent that kind of money on a car before but I am 76 and wanted to own a luxury car as one of my last cars. Instead I have received nothing but grief and aggravation from this car and my dealership. Is anyone on this blog having a similar issue? Does anyone have an idea of what could be wrong except the car? Thanks for any help!!!!

RedHoncho

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Marysville, Ohio
I have both a 120V 16A circuit and a 240V 20A circuit in my garage. I had my electrician install the 240V 20A dual pole circuit with a NEMA 6-20R outlet. I have had no issues charging with either circuit in charging my vehicle. I had the electrician install a new GFCI outlet for the 120V circuit as it was randomly tripping and was original to my house which was built in 1997. GFCI outlets do wear out over time and should be replaced.

The mileage the vehicle charges to will vary based upon the temperature. When it is cold outside, the mileage will be lower.

I never saw the need to have a third party charger as they do not speed up the charging time at all. When I use the 120V outlet, it is around 11 hours to fully charge when the battery is depleted. It takes around 3 hours with the 240V outlet. It also takes around 3 hours using a public Level 2 charger. I have used both Eaton and ChargePoint public chargers. Both took the same amount of time to charge.

The speed at which vehicles charge isn't just based upon the voltage or the source of the electricity (Level 2 vs. Lincoln supplied cord). It is also based upon the software and hardware within the vehicle. The Corsair GT fastest charging time is ~3 - 3.5 hours regardless of whether you are using the Lincoln supplied cord or a third party Level 2 charger at 240V. It draws a maximum 16A of electricity at 240V and 12A at 120V. The 240V circuit must be a dual pole circuit with at least 20A of service. The 120V would be a single pole circuit but must have 16A of service.

Last edited:

PaddyH01

Illinois
I have both a 120V 16A circuit and a 240V 20A circuit in my garage. I had my electrician install the 240V 20A dual pole circuit with a NEMA 6-20R outlet. I have had no issues charging with either circuit in charging my vehicle. I had the electrician install a new GFCI outlet for the 120V circuit as it was randomly tripping and was original to my house which was built in 1997. GFCI outlets do wear out over time and should be replaced.

The mileage the vehicle charges to will vary based upon the temperature. When it is cold outside, the mileage will be lower.

I never saw the need to have a third party charger as they do not speed up the charging time at all. When I use the 120V outlet, it is around 11 hours to fully charge when the battery is depleted. It takes around 3 hours with the 240V outlet. It also takes around 3 hours using a public Level 2 charger. I have used both Eaton and ChargePoint public chargers. Both took the same amount of time to charge.

The speed at which vehicles charge isn't just based upon the voltage or the source of the electricity (Level 2 vs. Lincoln supplied cord). It is also based upon the software and hardware within the vehicle. The Corsair GT fastest charging time is ~3 - 3.5 hours regardless of whether you are using the Lincoln supplied cord or a third party Level 2 charger at 240V. It draws a maximum 16A of electricity at 240V and 12A at 120V. The 240V circuit must be a dual pole circuit with at least 20A of service. The 120V would be a single pole circuit but must have 16A of service.
I had no 240 VAC circuit in my garage so the electrician ran a new line from my inside breaker box to a secondary breaker box he installed in the garage. The garage box contains a dual pole 30A breaker for the new 14-50R socket and a 20A single pole for the new 120 VAC GCFI socket. It also includes a 20A single pole breaker for my 120 VAC garage door opener. Just talked to my electrician this morning as the Lincoln 240 VAC Level 2 charger did finally "work" to charge the car to 22 mi but it took 19 HOURS! That 100% charge started from a 30% charge reported on the car's dash. The Lincoln Way app charge log reported the 19 hour charge stats as I have related with time and date. The car dash displayed the estimated time to 100% charge at Level 2 as one hour 15 min not the 19 hours it took. I had the electrician out a few days ago and he measured no issues with the stuff he installed. He also measured the voltage present at the J1772 plug connected to the Lincoln Level 2 charger, it was correct. Thus, it is the car's hi-voltage charger board and/or the hi-voltage battery. The dealer wants no part of replacing those and, in fact, he doesn't even have the test equipment to check if the Lincoln charger is OK, except to plug it into a socket. Oh, until my problem the dealer didn't even have a 6-20R socket to plug the Lincoln charger in to. I have no idea how dealerships like mine will survive in the world of fully electric cars.

On the angle of temperature, my car is in a insulated but not heated garage at night. The lowest temps here in Chicago have not been brutally cold yet, so I don't believe 50 degree temp inside my garage would have much effect on the charge mileage dropping from 28-30 mi down to 22-23 mi at 100% charger.

Last edited:

silverydragon72

San Jose, CA
I had no 240 VAC circuit in my garage so the electrician ran a new line from my inside breaker box to a secondary breaker box he installed in the garage. The garage box contains a dual pole 30A breaker for the new 14-50R socket and a 20A single pole for the new 120 VAC GCFI socket. It also includes a 20A single pole breaker for my 120 VAC garage door opener. Just talked to my electrician this morning as the Lincoln 240 VAC Level 2 charger did finally "work" to charge the car to 22 mi but it took 19 HOURS! That 100% charge started from a 30% charge reported on the car's dash. The Lincoln Way app charge log reported the 19 hour charge stats as I have related with time and date. The car dash displayed the estimated time to 100% charge at Level 2 as one hour 15 min not the 19 hours it took. I had the electrician out a few days ago and he measured no issues with the stuff he installed. He also measured the voltage present at the J1772 plug connected to the Lincoln Level 2 charger, it was correct. Thus, it is the car's hi-voltage charger board and/or the hi-voltage battery. The dealer wants no part of replacing those and, in fact, he doesn't even have the test equipment to check if the Lincoln charger is OK, except to plug it into a socket. Oh, until my problem the dealer didn't even have a 6-20R socket to plug the Lincoln charger in to. I have no idea how dealerships like mine will survive in the world of fully electric cars.

On the angle of temperature, my car is in a insulated but not heated garage at night. The lowest temps here in Chicago have not been brutally cold yet, so I don't believe 50 degree temp inside my garage would have much effect on the charge mileage dropping from 28-30 mi down to 22-23 mi at 100% charger.
If you have time I would recommend trying a public charger that is a level 2 somewhere in "good" weather conditions. In theory you should be able to charge it from 0 to full in about 3.5 - 4 hours. If it doesn't work correctly there as well then you at least have a case to talk to the dealership about it. Average charge times for me on my GT are around 12ish hours for the L1 and 3.5 l2. If you do find an issue id bring it to another dealership for testing and possibly open a case with Lincoln Concierge.

PaddyH01

Illinois
If you have time I would recommend trying a public charger that is a level 2 somewhere in "good" weather conditions. In theory you should be able to charge it from 0 to full in about 3.5 - 4 hours. If it doesn't work correctly there as well then you at least have a case to talk to the dealership about it. Average charge times for me on my GT are around 12ish hours for the L1 and 3.5 l2. If you do find an issue id bring it to another dealership for testing and possibly open a case with Lincoln Concierge.
Tried exactly that, thanks for the suggestion! It will not charge from the Level 2 charging station at my local Kohl's store. I have opened a case with Lincoln Concierge. Your suggestion was echo'd at the Ford/Lincoln Blue Oval forum. I also checked in with my State Attorney's Office to understand the Lemon Law. Best to you!

silverydragon72

San Jose, CA
Tried exactly that, thanks for the suggestion! It will not charge from the Level 2 charging station at my local Kohl's store. I have opened a case with Lincoln Concierge. Your suggestion was echo'd at the Ford/Lincoln Blue Oval forum. I also checked in with my State Attorney's Office to understand the Lemon Law. Best to you!
Lincoln is pretty nice in terms of keeping customers happy. Work with concierge and if this has been in the shop for the correct duration let them know you would like a buyback. It will then work through there approval process. To be honest it just sounds like your dealer isn't the best so I would recommend taking it to another. You will probably have to anyways if you do request a buyback. I have had to do one previously and it was one of the best buy back experiences I have heard of. My boss did one for a different brands luxury vehicle and his took years while I got mine approved and replaced prior to him even getting it returned and he started a year before me.

Last edited:

PaddyH01

Illinois
Lincoln is pretty nice in terms of keeping customers happy. Work with concierge and if this has been in the shop for the correct duration let them know you would like a buyback. It will then work through there approval process. To be honest it just sounds like your dealer isn't the best so I would recommend taking it to another. You will probably have to anyways if you do request a buyback.
I agree. Mel, my Concierge agent, is trying to be as helpful as possible. He called in another more senior person and they will contact me again on Friday with what should happen next. They have already suggested a buyback is most likely. We just got back from a little shopping and the car has started a new thing. The dash showed 10 miles of EV left but the car suddenly switched to gas operation and the available EV miles began to drop 2 miles a minute. By the time we returned to the car it displayed 2 EV miles left and started in EV mode. This car is a haunted entity!!

PaddyH01

Illinois
Good luck, if you have any questions about the buyback process let me know. Overall Lincoln has been fantastic in resolving issues at least for me.
Thanks!!! My questions are: How does it work?; What do I have to provide?; Can the dealer torpedo the process?;Is it tied to an individual state's Lemon Law? I have never been in a situation like this before. All I could think to do was contact Lincoln Concierge and my state's Attorney General Office. I have no doubt our sales manager will go ballistic over this. He went ballistic over having to repair the paint job on a few day old car because of scratches and gouges in the paint made by their guy putting on our license plate (the manager claimed it was our fault, we must have dropped our garage door on it). He believes this charging issue is ours too somehow so you know how this is going to go with him. Thanks for any information you can provide.

silverydragon72

San Jose, CA
So the lemon law is state by state but more than likely you won't have to use/worry about it. Lincoln tries to resolve issues before it gets that far unlike other manufactures I have seen. So basically what should happen is concierge will submit a request to Lincoln Rav and they will approve or deny it. More than likely they will approve yours. Takes a couple weeks depending. Once that is approved concierge will reach out to you to let you know and connect you up with Lincoln RAV. They will also send you something by mail confirming the buyback offer. From there you have a couple choices. For you the most likely choices you will go with is either a straight buyback or holding onto the vehicle until a new custom order is built which they prioritize then doing the buyback once it arrives. This is all between you and Lincoln corporate so the sales manager can't do anything about it however you still do need to work with a dealership for the drop off or if you decide to custom order a replacement. My advice is to choose a new dealership for that process as it seems like yours is one of the worst ones and if you go with a GT again get a dealership that actually services the new Lincoln/ford electric vehicles. Lastly in the buyback they typically offer you an incentive to purchase a new vehicle now saying that it typically can be used on any ford or Lincoln product so you don't need to get the same vehicle. Same with the priority build. If you have any additional questions let me know.

PaddyH01

Illinois
So the lemon law is state by state but more than likely you won't have to use/worry about it. Lincoln tries to resolve issues before it gets that far unlike other manufactures I have seen. So basically what should happen is concierge will submit a request to Lincoln Rav and they will approve or deny it. More than likely they will approve yours. Takes a couple weeks depending. Once that is approved concierge will reach out to you to let you know and connect you up with Lincoln RAV. They will also send you something by mail confirming the buyback offer. From there you have a couple choices. For you the most likely choices you will go with is either a straight buyback or holding onto the vehicle until a new custom order is built which they prioritize then doing the buyback once it arrives. This is all between you and Lincoln corporate so the sales manager can't do anything about it however you still do need to work with a dealership for the drop off or if you decide to custom order a replacement. My advice is to choose a new dealership for that process as it seems like yours is one of the worst ones and if you go with a GT again get a dealership that actually services the new Lincoln/ford electric vehicles. Lastly in the buyback they typically offer you an incentive to purchase a new vehicle now saying that it typically can be used on any ford or Lincoln product so you don't need to get the same vehicle. Same with the priority build. If you have any additional questions let me know.
My friend, you are a fountain of valuable information! I am very grateful for you taking the time to help me. Your help makes me very happy I joined this forum!! I am supposed to hear from Lincoln tomorrow. I will post the results. Have a great day and wonderful Thanksgiving!

RedHoncho

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Marysville, Ohio
My friend, you are a fountain of valuable information! I am very grateful for you taking the time to help me. Your help makes me very happy I joined this forum!! I am supposed to hear from Lincoln tomorrow. I will post the results. Have a great day and wonderful Thanksgiving!
If you look for a different dealership, look for one that is Black Label certified. You will typically get better service and treatment from a Black Label Dealer. If you look at a dealer website, it will show the Black Label insignia in the upper left corner.

This is my dealer's website showing he is a Black Label dealer.

silverydragon72

San Jose, CA
If you look for a different dealership, look for one that is Black Label certified. You will typically get better service and treatment from a Black Label Dealer. If you look at a dealer website, it will show the Black Label insignia in the upper left corner.

This is my dealer's website showing he is a Black Label dealer.

Only comment I will make on Black Label dealerships at least around me is they have been charging more than non black label ones even for non black label vehicles. Now saying that I am in Cali so your experience may vary as just about everyone here is trying to upcharge.

Last edited:

PaddyH01

Illinois
Our 2021 Corsair GT started with only a 17 mi electric range which took 17hours 17 minutes on the Lincoln Level 2 charger to charge from 56% to 100%. By the time I drove 1 mi the car switched to gas operation and displayed a menu I had never seen on the dash. It said to hold down the folders button to lock in EV only operation. The mode switch was set in normal mode! The other thing that was displayed on the dash was “Calm Mode” and all of the normal information like “electric operation” were not displayed. The car did go to electric operation for the last mile back from my medical appointment. On putting the car in the garage I plugged the Lincoln Level 2 charger station into the car and it refused to work. I plugged it in several times to no avail. I removed power from it and tried it again to no avail. I decided to try the Level 1 side of the Lincoln charger station and the car began to charge (blue moving lights). The car now has only 760 miles on it. I have come to hate this car with a passion. We should never, ever have purchased a first generation electric/hybrid from Ford/Lincoln. All I can see is continuing problems in the future and a basically unreliable car. We have requested a buyback from Lincoln but It is going in to the dealer this Friday for the 4th attempt to fix it. Fix whatever is wrong if they can but we will never trust this car.

By the way, the Concierge at Lincoln threatened to void the warranty because I had tried 3rd party charger stations. I informed him that unless Lincoln owns and operates every public charging station in the US, they better shut up before they ruin any ability to sell electric cars to the public.

Attachments

• 11222021 17hrs 17min at Level2 added 44% charge.jpg
    11222021 17hrs 17min at Level2 added 44% charge.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 11122021 20hrs40min at Level2 to add17%.jpg
    11122021 20hrs40min at Level2 to add17%.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 11182021 23hrs20min at Level2 to add84%..jpg
    11182021 23hrs20min at Level2 to add84%..jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

silverydragon72

San Jose, CA
Our 2021 Corsair GT started with only a 17 mi electric range which took 17hours 17 minutes on the Lincoln Level 2 charger to charge from 56% to 100%. By the time I drove 1 mi the car switched to gas operation and displayed a menu I had never seen on the dash. It said to hold down the folders button to lock in EV only operation. The mode switch was set in normal mode! The other thing that was displayed on the dash was “Calm Mode” and all of the normal information like “electric operation” were not displayed. The car did go to electric operation for the last mile back from my medical appointment. On putting the car in the garage I plugged the Lincoln Level 2 charger station into the car and it refused to work. I plugged it in several times to no avail. I removed power from it and tried it again to no avail. I decided to try the Level 1 side of the Lincoln charger station and the car began to charge (blue moving lights). The car now has only 760 miles on it. I have come to hate this car with a passion. We should never, ever have purchased a first generation electric/hybrid from Ford/Lincoln. All I can see is continuing problems in the future and a basically unreliable car. We have requested a buyback from Lincoln but It is going in to the dealer this Friday for the 4th attempt to fix it. Fix whatever is wrong if they can but we will never trust this car.
Hi Paddy,

While I am sorry to hear your issue I can say that its definitely not typical. I am fairly confident they will buy it back it just takes some time to process it on their end and you do have to typically take it in for them to verify things for the buyback process. Overall for a buyback it will probably be quick as I believe you already have lincoln concierge involved. My guess if you requested the buyback about a week or 2 ago you got about a month for approval then they will put together the buyback offer letter once they get you to RAV. To be honest the buyback process I went through was significantly shorter than other manufactures considering my boss was doing so around the same time as me with a different manufacturer and his took years. Also if they do fix it doesn't mean they wont buy it back still.

Last edited:

kingdre

Thanks!!! My questions are: How does it work?; What do I have to provide?; Can the dealer torpedo the process?;Is it tied to an individual state's Lemon Law? I have never been in a situation like this before. All I could think to do was contact Lincoln Concierge and my state's Attorney General Office. I have no doubt our sales manager will go ballistic over this. He went ballistic over having to repair the paint job on a few day old car because of scratches and gouges in the paint made by their guy putting on our license plate (the manager claimed it was our fault, we must have dropped our garage door on it). He believes this charging issue is ours too somehow so you know how this is going to go with him. Thanks for any information you can provide.
I started my lemon law case July 1.... I got approved for the drawn OUT BBB process on Oct 12. Production starts Dec 13. I have a SMALL chance of getting it before the year ends.

The process works. I live in GA, but bought my car in TN. Its been a long process, but as another posted pointed out, it COULD be far worse. Id also go to ANOTHER dealer. The thing is usually three repair attempts, with MAYBE a final repair. Ford tried to say I bought the car used.... but the paperwork all said NEW lol. Its worth finding a better dealer if possible in my humble opinion.

kingdre

By the way, the Concierge at Lincoln threatened to void the warranty because I had tried 3rd party charger stations. I informed him that unless Lincoln owns and operates every public charging station in the US, they better shut up before they ruin any ability to sell electric cars to the public.
DAMN! Im so sorry. I've not heard of the Fusion plug-in having issues like this, so I'll definitely look there.

silverydragon72

San Jose, CA
I started my lemon law case July 1.... I got approved for the drawn OUT BBB process on Oct 12. Production starts Dec 13. I have a SMALL chance of getting it before the year ends.

The process works. I live in GA, but bought my car in TN. Its been a long process, but as another posted pointed out, it COULD be far worse. Id also go to ANOTHER dealer. The thing is usually three repair attempts, with MAYBE a final repair. Ford tried to say I bought the car used.... but the paperwork all said NEW lol. Its worth finding a better dealer if possible in my humble opinion.
Sounds like something strange happened on yours if they thought it was used which is probably why it took a little bit to get approved however overall that's not too bad for a Buy back compared to a lot of other manufacture horror stories I have heard.

kingdre

Sounds like something strange happened on yours if they thought it was used which is probably why it took a little bit to get approved however overall that's not too bad for a Buy back compared to a lot of other manufacture horror stories I have heard.
Nah Ford was just trying to find a way to get out. Lol. Yes, I've heard some crazy ones too. I've had legal counsel all along the way.