Continental vs. BMW M550i

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

brucelinc

Minneapolis
I have been thinking seriously of replacing my Conti with a BMW M550i. The BMW has the same 117 inch wheelbase and is just a bit shorter overall. It also has a 523 HP twin turbo V8.

My dealer did not have one equipped as I would want but I did drive one. The ride comfort was surprisingly supple for such a performance oriented car....at least as good as the Conti and maybe a bit plusher. Likewise, it was notably quiet...a bit better than the Conti. I find the 30 way seats in the Conti to be more comfortable than the 20 way seats in the BMW, though. Rear seat room is vastly better in the Lincoln. Material quality would be similar with the BMW maybe a hair better in some areas.

The center screen in the BMW is much larger which was nice. The V8 in the BMW is very refined, quiet and powerful. The 8 speed transmission is equally impressive. Mechanically, the BMW is more impressive for sure than the 3.0/ 6 speed Lincoln.

The chip shortage does present a problem. The 360 degree camera and hands free trunk has been eliminated from the BMW. Those are 2 very nice features that the Lincoln has. I am hesitant to place an order until those items are again available.

Overall, for me, the M550i would make a decent replacement for my Conti. If the missing items are restored in the next few weeks, I would be tempted to make the trade.

brucelinc

Minneapolis
One other thing I noticed: The BMW did not have a rubber seal at the leading edge of the front doors or a seal between the front and rear doors. The Lincoln has seals in those areas. These seals help keep the door jams clean of rain or dust.

MarkX

I have the impression that you value performance in your ride; have you not considered the Tesla Plaid? Those big BMW engines are quite complex and you might want take on as much extra warranty coverage as you can get, if you go down that route.

brucelinc

Minneapolis
I have the impression that you value performance in your ride; have you not considered the Tesla Plaid? Those big BMW engines are quite complex and you might want take on as much extra warranty coverage as you can get, if you go down that route.

The Plaid is WAY WAY over my price range. Besides, I am not ready for an electric vehicle.

MarkX

The Plaid is WAY WAY over my price range. Besides, I am not ready for an electric vehicle.
Of course, the economics are not just a question of MSRP; one has to consider the costs of maintenance and operation. BMWs have a reputation for expensive service especially with the more complicated power units and gas consumption and costs are up there, too. The Tesla has two simple, but powerful motors and the batteries have pretty good warranty coverage, I believe. And now there are other attractive e-vehicles coming into the market complicating the consumer's choices. I have little doubt that my next car will be electric but that will be a long way off as I like my Conti so much.

Vegascruiser

I've found BMW maintenance cost to be very high, exceeded only by Porsche, and their service departments not customer friendly. Audi and MB maintenance is cheap compared to BMW. Getting a loaner is almost impossible. Compare the recommended maintenance schedule for the BMW against the Continental. You'll be amazed how much more frequently BMW maintenance is needed.

MarkX

...MB maintenance is cheap compared to BMW...
Gee, that's ugly. Although I have never owned a BMW, I have about 80 car-years of M-B ownership behind me and I have always found maintenance to be frequent and expensive.

brucelinc

Minneapolis
BMW maintenance is included for the first 3 years with the cost built into the price. Irrelevant for me. I do my own maintenance.

It is really moot at this point. With the chip shortage, key features are no longer available so I will not be ordering one unless things change.

Last edited:

Vegascruiser

Everyone has their own story and you can't always make a judgement based on 1 person's experience. I owned a 2012 MB E350 for 7 years before getting the Continental. I agree that MB was not cheap but I only had 1 service visit that was not for routine maintenance during that time for a cracked windshield washer fluid tank. MB seems to always have coupons available for $200 off of a $400+ service so that helps. They always offered me a loaner car. Meanwhile my son owned a 2011 BMW 128 convertible during that same period. Thank god we got the extended warranty because it paid for itself in 3 months. Neither dealer in Vegas will offer you a loaner. My son took his car to the dealer a month before the warranty was to expire. They four $5000 worth of work that took 2 weeks and would still not offer a loaner.

MarkX

I had to junk my M-B S500 because the cost of getting the mechanicals, not the body, up to snuff was more than the Blue Book value with less than 100K easy miles on it. A/C was a big part of that.

brucelinc

Minneapolis
Well, my BMW is supposed to be completed by October 22nd. It then goes to a port in Germany and sits about a week or so before loading on a ship for the good old USA. I hope to have it by Christmas. I was able to get the parking package which includes the 3D 360 camera among other things. It probably will not have the hands free trunk. I really like that feature but I guess I can do without it. I will also miss the soft-close doors of the Conti but the BMW has a few other goodies that will make up for it I hope.

As delivery time comes closer, I will try to sell my Conti. It is in brilliant condition with only 30,000 miles. Carvana offered $35,000 for it now but I will try to sell to an individual later on.

Screenshot_20210930-094604_Chrome.jpg

brucelinc

Minneapolis
My Continental goes to a new home this week...$37,000. I suppose that is a fair price. I would have preferred to trade and save some sales tax but the BMW dealers really low-balled me on the trade allowance. One offered $29,000 and another $32,500. My BMW is now on a ship to the good old USA.

MarkX

Good luck with your new BMW! The Forum will miss your constructive posts that you have shared with us over the past nearly-four years.

jhartz

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Virginia Beach, VA
Thank you. This will be the first vehicle I have ever owned that was not a Ford product. I still like their trucks but dropping their sedans forced me to go elsewhere.
After my brand new '66 Galaxy, I swore off FORD products for years -- until my 2000 Jaguar -- then through Jags and Land Rovers. Who would have thought Found On the Road Dead or Fix Or Repair Daily (my '66) could fix the reputation of these two iconic Brit brands. The two Continentals have been an equally good surprise.

Good luck with the BMW: owned 8 over the years (First a '69 1600, last an '04 Z4). Good brand. When the 20 Reserve comes off lease, I will need to look to a 550 -- dealer two blocks away vice ten miles to the Lincoln store.