Continental mk iv stalling problem

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

olived642

Hello! I have just purchased a 1975 Lincoln continental with the 460 motor. Me and my partner traveled a long way to get the car.

We was driving for roughly 7 hours when about 20 mins before home the car died, it stumbled for a second or two then the engine was dead. After managing to safely pull over I got the cae running again (took alot of cranking) idled fine, free revd fine. Started driving and it died again half a mile down the road. This happened several times over.

What could be the issue? Been stuck on the road for hours today, 20 mins from home.. It idles fine but of I try to drive it, it will just die again then take a while to gwt running.

Corsart

Internet dx is always unreliable. But this doesn't sound like a uniquely Lincoln problem as it is a general old car problem. So, I'd start by asking the previous owner if he had a similar symptom or isuse, and then ask him what work he might have done to the car. Which will help rule out the usual suspects.

I'd start with a complete tune up, filter changes, fluid changes. Water pump change. And, a new fuel pump, especially if one hasn't been done, or in a while. Your symptom alone sounds most like that, but this is probably indicative of other general work needed.

The Mark IV is a sharp car and reminds what was possible. Enjoy it.

olived642

Internet dx is always unreliable. But this doesn't sound like a uniquely Lincoln problem as it is a general old car problem. So, I'd start by asking the previous owner if he had a similar symptom or isuse, and then ask him what work he might have done to the car. Which will help rule out the usual suspects.

I'd start with a complete tune up, filter changes, fluid changes. Water pump change. And, a new fuel pump, especially if one hasn't been done, or in a while. Your symptom alone sounds most like that, but this is probably indicative of other general work needed.

The Mark IV is a sharp car and reminds what was possible. Enjoy it.
Do these cars have mechanical fuel pump or electric? I know next to nothing about this model of car but ive owned alot of older classic cars

Corsart

Do these cars have mechanical fuel pump or electric? I know next to nothing about this model of car but ive owned alot of older classic cars
It has a mechanical fuel pump (although that is relevant)....if you are unfamiliar with the car, finding a mechanic who is seems like a good idea. There are certain things which should be replaced on an old car, and a fuel pump is one of them.

Hitchwillow

My stall problems were simply cases of vapor lock from the ethanol in modern fuel. Seek out recreational fuel sold at certain filling stations in your area for boats etc. It has no ethanol. That solved all my problems with my 1976 Mark IV stalling.