CONSOLE SIDE TRIM PANELS--HOW TO REMOVE ???

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

Rongold

I am trying to get the FCIM out on my wife's 2014 MKS. One step of the procedures in the shop manual is to remove both the upper & lower console side panels. I can get the upper panel clips to disengage, but for the life of me, I cannot get any of the lower side panel clips to pop out. I have a bunch of trim tools, but none of them can do this. Has anyone here tried to do this, and did you insert the trim tool from between the upper & lower panels, or from between the carpet and lower panel ???

Thanks,

RON

Rongold

Well, a lot of lookers but nobody with any help. The FCIM is out and on its way to be repaired. I used my hand to pop the clips on the lower console side panel on both sides--I put my fingers facing up under the lower side panel and pulled--The clips all popped out. I guess I wasn't rough enough with any of the trim tools. The last clip at the forward end DOES NOT pull out as all the others---You have to push the panel forward to release it from that clip. I removed the lower side panel and pulled the top panel away from the console enough to clear the dash panels alongside the FCIM. One thing gave me a problem. The service manual says the first step is to remove the console compartment trim plate---I popped the clips free with a trim tool, but the panel wouldn't come up enough to remove it. It turns out that the console upper trim panel has to be pulled away from the console about 1/2" to be able to clear the clips on the compartment trim plate.

For those of you whose FCIM's need to be repaired, here's a link to the person on Ebay who fixes them. His feedback is good, and he repairs other automotive devices including radios, amplifiers, and instrument clusters.

RON

P.S. just for your info---Without the FCIM connected, the radio still works and is controllable from the touch screen, but the climate control defaults to defrost and 75 degrees, but is not controllable from the touch screen---The screen thinks it's off.