Console lid gave up?

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

Andromeda441

Sep 30, 2020
Anybody ever dealt with this crap before? The entire lid on my center console came off. I didn't see any broken pieces...
(yeah, it's messy, please don't judge me! Lol)

Attachments

• 20221021_180154.jpg
    20221021_180154.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 20221021_180205.jpg
    20221021_180205.jpg
    402 KB · Views: 22

dave42

Jul 6, 2015
Leander, TX C.K.U.
Probably nothing is broken. Mine has done that before. One side was probably not latched when the other side was opened. It can be a little tricky but it can be put back on. I forget exactly how I did it, attaching just one side first or maybe holding in both latches at the same time while placing it back. Look at the inside of the lid while pushing in the latch to see what it does. You'll figure it out. Nice choice of music. :)

Andromeda441

Sep 30, 2020
Probably nothing is broken. Mine has done that before. One side was probably not latched when the other side was opened. It can be a little tricky but it can be put back on. I forget exactly how I did it, attaching just one side first or maybe holding in both latches at the same time while placing it back. Look at the inside of the lid while pushing in the latch to see what it does. You'll figure it out. Nice choice of music. :)
Oh lol thank you! One of my favorite albums of all time.

04TC

May 10, 2016
Tampa, FL
Mine did that once too. I think it came off because either I had it open on one side and pushed the opposite button, or I pushed both buttons at the same time. Not sure why. I just remember I was able to get it back on correctly after about 5-10 minutes of messing around

DadOf6

Jun 18, 2022
My Lincoln
2003 Town Car
A little explanation of how the console lid works will help you understand how to get it back in place. When you press the button on the side this pushes locking tabs out of the way to open that side and the matching tabs on the other side act as hinges. When you close the lid a tab on the lower portion pushes a button on the lid to re-engage the tabs and lock it in place.

If you push in the button to open it and accidentally hit the button that locks it in place, it won’t close properly. Then when you push the open button on the other side it can pop off entirely.

To fix it, push the open button on one side then seat the lid in place on that side. Find the button that locks the mechanism in place (bottom of the lid, near front and center) and push it in. That side should lock in place and the lid hinge on that side. To finish the job, push in the opening button on the far side and the lid should close and work normally from then on.

It is possible that the tabs on one side are broken. In that case figure out which side will work and seat the hinges on that side. After that you will have to be careful about always opening the one side and not unlocking the other or it may pop off again.