Considering purchase - need advice.

drbrh

Considering a 2017 Continental Reserve 3.0. 28k miles. Beautiful car. Recently completed a pre-purchase inspection. Picture includes report findings. Only other thing is roaring sound between 55 and 65. Tech thought was tires. Also seems to be a drag in rear end when driving from parked postion - almost like brakes are not released or something. Does fine after driving.

Should these things scare me off or should I dig in and see about fixing this stuff while still under warranty?

Attachments

drbrh

Considering a 2017 Continental Reserve 3.0. 28k miles. Beautiful car. Recently completed a pre-purchase inspection. Picture includes report findings. Only other thing is roaring sound between 55 and 65. Tech thought was tires. Also seems to be a drag in rear end when driving from parked postion - almost like brakes are not released or something. Does fine after driving.

Should these things scare me off or should I dig in and see about fixing this stuff while still under warranty?
Additional report detail on work done in past.

Attachments

henrycjohnston

I DROVE AND TRIED THE FULL SIZE LINCOLN AND I NOT LIKE THE WAY THEY DROVE OR THE ROAD NOISE >> JUST NOT CARE FOR A FRONT WHEEL DRIVE MYSELF >

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada

Welcome to the forum.
Not sure if items 1 and 5 are related and if so sounds like a 6 speed trans pan problem that is re-occurring.

Your car is probably an AWD since it has the 3.0 liter twin turbo. If that is correct then you have 1 transmission pan for the 6 speed trans. The pan is located on left front of vehicle in a vertical position under the engine air filter box and holds the trans dipstick. The procedure to access the pan and replace the gasket should be easy (i have it). The second part of the trans that takes the torque from the 6 speed unit to the rear axle is the PTU (Power Transfer Unit) and is filled with differential oil, but there is no pan, just drain and refill plugs. It is located in front of the driveshaft for rear axle and the half shafts for the front wheel drive come out of the PTU. Serviceable components for the PTU are:

"Serviceable components of the power transfer unit are limited to the output shaft seal and output flange deflector, intermediate shaft seal, input shaft seal, cover seal and the power transfer unit-transmission compression seal. The internal components are not serviced. If any of the geared components, bearings, case cover or internal shafts are worn or damaged, a new power transfer unit must be installed."

So I think the first item on your list needs clarification on the colour of the oil leak, red for 6 speed trans oil or clear for differential fluid (could be black if internal seals leaking trans fluid with differential fluid).

Wheel and tire size and tire make/model and tire pressure should be noted since they must be new or almost new with full tread depth of 10/32. Tires play a big role in noise and vibration, especially if wheel weights do not appear perfectly fitted.

Brake pads should be changed at about 3 mm and it is typical for the rears to be replaced first. No mention of the rotors (discs) since the rears get grooves from the dirty air swirling in that area.

The wheel/tire slight vibration could be the wheel weights balancing issue but could also be a drivetrain vibration since the driveshaft from front to rear is always turning when car is moving and the RDU (Rear Drive Unit) clutch packs deliver torque to rear wheels when starting off. My dealer has a Hunter Road Force balancer where the wheel balancing machine applies a load to the tire as part of balancing procedure which makes it more accurate, especially for tire issues. If such a balance works to eliminate the vibration as tire and wheel related then all is good. If you still have the the vibration then finding it in the trans may be a challenge.

Having the strut bolts replaced (on the front McPherson struts) is a factory requirement for replacement of the strut. That would be strange for a 28,000 mile car.

All things considered I would be looking for another Continental. Too many items suggesting a hard life with repeatable problems.

drbrh

Welcome to the forum.
Not sure if items 1 and 5 are related and if so sounds like a 6 speed trans pan problem that is re-occurring.

Your car is probably an AWD since it has the 3.0 liter twin turbo. If that is correct then you have 1 transmission pan for the 6 speed trans. The pan is located on left front of vehicle in a vertical position under the engine air filter box and holds the trans dipstick. The procedure to access the pan and replace the gasket should be easy (i have it). The second part of the trans that takes the torque from the 6 speed unit to the rear axle is the PTU (Power Transfer Unit) and is filled with differential oil, but there is no pan, just drain and refill plugs. It is located in front of the driveshaft for rear axle and the half shafts for the front wheel drive come out of the PTU. Serviceable components for the PTU are:

"Serviceable components of the power transfer unit are limited to the output shaft seal and output flange deflector, intermediate shaft seal, input shaft seal, cover seal and the power transfer unit-transmission compression seal. The internal components are not serviced. If any of the geared components, bearings, case cover or internal shafts are worn or damaged, a new power transfer unit must be installed."

So I think the first item on your list needs clarification on the colour of the oil leak, red for 6 speed trans oil or clear for differential fluid (could be black if internal seals leaking trans fluid with differential fluid).

Wheel and tire size and tire make/model and tire pressure should be noted since they must be new or almost new with full tread depth of 10/32. Tires play a big role in noise and vibration, especially if wheel weights do not appear perfectly fitted.

Brake pads should be changed at about 3 mm and it is typical for the rears to be replaced first. No mention of the rotors (discs) since the rears get grooves from the dirty air swirling in that area.

The wheel/tire slight vibration could be the wheel weights balancing issue but could also be a drivetrain vibration since the driveshaft from front to rear is always turning when car is moving and the RDU (Rear Drive Unit) clutch packs deliver torque to rear wheels when starting off. My dealer has a Hunter Road Force balancer where the wheel balancing machine applies a load to the tire as part of balancing procedure which makes it more accurate, especially for tire issues. If such a balance works to eliminate the vibration as tire and wheel related then all is good. If you still have the the vibration then finding it in the trans may be a challenge.

Having the strut bolts replaced (on the front McPherson struts) is a factory requirement for replacement of the strut. That would be strange for a 28,000 mile car.

All things considered I would be looking for another Continental. Too many items suggesting a hard life with repeatable problems.
Thanks so much for your detailed response.

The oil pan was replaced as part of the head replacement that occurred. This apparently was an issue with some of these cars early on as Ford put out a TSB concerning this.

It is AWD. The tech did not mention color of any fluid - only noted the "seep." They did say that warranty would not consider a transmission "seep" but would cover a "leak." At this point, they didn't seem to be that concerned. I am concerned though - wondering if a second opinion is warranted from a dedicated Lincoln dealer instead of a Ford/Lincoln dealer?

Wheels are 20 inch. Tire brand is iMove and are brand new. Size is 245/40R20 99 XL. I will state that the tire pressures were all over the place when I received it. I reduced them to 39 psi cold as called for on the label and the 'roar' seemed to improve - may have been in my mind though...but was still there. It occurs regardless of road type and does not change with load steering to one side or the other which would be expected with a bearing issue. Tech did inspect for bearing issue and stated he did not think such.

I thought strut replacement odd as well.

So I'm purchasing this vehicle from Carvana and have two days left in the grace period. I've got to decide whether to get it and get the work done under warranty or move on...

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Thanks so much for your detailed response.

The oil pan was replaced as part of the head replacement that occurred. This apparently was an issue with some of these cars early on as Ford put out a TSB concerning this.

It is AWD. The tech did not mention color of any fluid - only noted the "seep." They did say that warranty would not consider a transmission "seep" but would cover a "leak." At this point, they didn't seem to be that concerned. I am concerned though - wondering if a second opinion is warranted from a dedicated Lincoln dealer instead of a Ford/Lincoln dealer?

Wheels are 20 inch. Tire brand is iMove and are brand new. Size is 245/40R20 99 XL. I will state that the tire pressures were all over the place when I received it. I reduced them to 39 psi cold as called for on the label and the 'roar' seemed to improve - may have been in my mind though...but was still there. It occurs regardless of road type and does not change with load steering to one side or the other which would be expected with a bearing issue. Tech did inspect for bearing issue and stated he did not think such.

I thought strut replacement odd as well.

So I'm purchasing this vehicle from Carvana and have two days left in the grace period. I've got to decide whether to get it and get the work done under warranty or move on...
There is a replaceable seal for the trans cover plate and 14 bolts of various lengths to retain the cover. Seems unlikely that there would be any kind of weep, seep or leak from that setup if the seal was in good condition when re-installed after the head replacement. It is not a huge job to replace the seal. Remove the air cleaner box, drain plug for trans oil drain, remove strap and short oil cooler line in front of cover, remove 14 bolts from cover, inspect cover seal for damage and replace cover and bolts in a specific sequence up to 106 lbs in of torque. My 2007 Town Car had a discolouration on rear differential below the cover plate. It was not covered by warranty so I removed the cover and the old sealant and replaced the cover with RTV and no more weep or whatever. In my opinion if there is evidence of fluid coming from a gasket then it is going to fail sooner or later.

I don't think there is a difference between Ford/Lincoln mechanics and Lincoln mechanics. A lincoln only dealership must have a vast Lincoln sales volume, which is unusual.

Never heard of iMove tires so I would think they are the cheapest tires available in the stock size to replace the worn out original tires. There is no speed range listed, usually a V or higher. The 99 is the load range (my 255/45R19 are 100V) and the XL is for the Extra Load which usually brings the 99 load range for standard cords up quite a lot. Probability is that the tires are not consistent quality so you need a road force balance to ensure the tires are good. A good quality tire for that car is very expensive.

Sounds like the car must be priced way below market value for you to still be considering it. Good luck with your decision.

Attachments

HTML