Considering buying a used one. Not sure where to post this

Chickensandwich

I'm heavily considering buying a used Continental. I've decided that I think I want the turbo and as many options as I can get. Is there anything to avoid or anything to look out for when buying one of these? I've had a Taurus 3.7l for two years now and have had zero issues with it. It makes me want to consider the 3.7l, but I think the turbo version would be more fun. My Taurus was the first Ford I ever owned and it has treated me great compared to my Chevys and Dodges of the past.

Any insight or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

pboehmer

I'm picking up my '17 3.7L w/16k ODO this weekend. My real only concern is the reported issues with internally mounted water pump. The design is not much different than my 06' 3.5L Chrysler 300, with the exception of a weep hole that is exposed to the crankcase. When the water pump seal leaks, it lets coolant into the crankcase and if not caught early, destroying the engine. There was a class action suit brought up, but it was dismissed.

That being said, it didn't stop me from buying the car. I've done all my own car maintenance myself, so its just a matter of checking the oil more often.

Without hijacking the thread, I'd be curious to hear if anyone has experience the issue first hand.

jhartz

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Virginia Beach, VA
I have had both a 17 2.7L Signature twin turbo and a 2020 Reserve 3.0L, and have had the 3.7 non-turbos as service loaners. The 3.0L is much better. Reserve model better yet with some better bells and whistles. Neither have had any real problems needing warranty (17: door latches like everybody, and a rear hatch sensor, and an affinity for deer); the 2020, built at the end of September 20 and one of the very last built for the US market, is perfect (knocking on wooden head). Great road cars with the luxury of not having to ask the rear passengers, "Want me to move my seat up?"

Chickensandwich

Im looking at a twin turbo versions I think it’s a reserve. I know they don’t make them anymore, which is unfortunate. I usually don’t like to buy a car that was discontinued. I compared it to a Cadillac CT6 and it matches up almost equally. The only issue with the Cadillac, the interior is so...GM.

MarkX

I compared it to a Cadillac CT6 and it matches up almost equally.
Before I bought my Conti, I did longish-term tests on both the CT6 and the Continental as multi-week rentals. Both were minimal spec as one would expect in rentals. To be sure, the Caddie was not a bad car and handled spirited driving quite well. But there was something about the Conti that strongly tipped the balance in its favor. It could have been the exterior styling which was much more appealing to my wife and me. Of course, the Reserve model I bought with the 3L engine is much better than the rental so we have had no regrets.

But at the end of the day, it is a very personal choice.

OmegaLincoln

Im looking at a twin turbo versions I think it’s a reserve. I know they don’t make them anymore, which is unfortunate. I usually don’t like to buy a car that was discontinued. I compared it to a Cadillac CT6 and it matches up almost equally. The only issue with the Cadillac, the interior is so...GM.
You have to go with your heart. But I've had good luck buying last years models. The cars are discounted and I don't pay interest or put money down. It seems so long as I keep them 2 years, it becomes just another used car.

SilverFox

I have had both a 17 2.7L Signature twin turbo and a 2020 Reserve 3.0L, and have had the 3.7 non-turbos as service loaners. The 3.0L is much better. Reserve model better yet with some better bells and whistles. Neither have had any real problems needing warranty (17: door latches like everybody, and a rear hatch sensor, and an affinity for deer); the 2020, built at the end of September 20 and one of the very last built for the US market, is perfect (knocking on wooden head). Great road cars with the luxury of not having to ask the rear passengers, "Want me to move my seat up?"
Jhartz, you nailed it! I just purchased a 2020 Reserve and am very pleased with it. More bells and whistles than I will use. Regret that I did not select the 3.0 turbo, but, am okay with the 2.7 turbo. I don't intend to race her, unless some young-un challenges me. (LOL).
I am changing with rims for the 20" with tires Continental DWS 60.

gcalvas

Dearborn, MI
Bought a used 2018 2.7L with every option except the 3.0L Twin (14K miles). That vehicle is FAST and drives great at over 100MPH (had it up to 110!). It is sporty, yet comfortable and the interior is beautiful. The only complaint I have is that it has a low hum noise at speeds below 30 MPH. Trying to figure that one out.

Chickensandwich

Bought a used 2018 2.7L with every option except the 3.0L Twin (14K miles). That vehicle is FAST and drives great at over 100MPH (had it up to 110!). It is sporty, yet comfortable and the interior is beautiful. The only complaint I have is that it has a low hum noise at speeds below 30 MPH. Trying to figure that one out.
I’ve heard that it’s not real sporty and not super fast. I want something that’s a luxury sport sedan and can handle corners really well.

MarkX

it’s not real sporty and not super fast.
It’s hard to know what qualifies as “super” for you. It is a heavy car which may knock it out of the “sporty” category for you. And “fast”? I just drove my 3L Conti across the country with many miles over 100 every day which it handled quite well. 2900 RPM easily produces 100+MPH in comfort. I have no idea where it tops out but 150 would not surprise me. On the other hand, there are many imports that are probably faster if not cheaper.