Compatible steel wheel rim size for a 2003 Town Car?

Townster2003

Hi, I have signed a purchase contract with a Lincoln dealer who has been fairly good to deal with. He offered 4 extra new steel winter rims, which I wanted. Because I assumed that the 2003 TC still had 16" rims I asked the salesman to order 16s, when the TC takes 17s. I may be stuck with 16" Lincoln steel rims. Can I make these work with 225/60-16 snow tires or am I headed down a rabbit hole with wheel spacers or worse? Any advice is welcomed.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Welcome to the Forum.

We have a forum specifically for the Town Car here: Lincoln Town Car Forum (1981-2011) you will get more knowledgeable eyes to help you in that forum. The Tech forum is more for posting solutions to issues that may help others.

I would try to change your order to 17 inch wheels. The 16 inch are generally for the models of 2002 and earlier. The offset on the 2003 and up is about 55 mm like a FWD vehicle while the 2002 and earlier with 16 inch wheels is about 8 mm. There may be a 16 inch wheel for the 2003 model since the brakes are not much larger but best not to go there. Change your order to the 17 inch wheels.

The 225/60R17 is larger in diameter than the 225/60R16 by 3.7% so when your speedometer reads 60 mph you will actually be doing 57.8 mph. Assuming the wheels have the same offset then they will fit. If the wheels are 2002 type 16 inchers then they will stick out from the fenders 1.9 inches which will look odd and splash your bodywork with road grime all the time. Just a bad look all around.

Townster2003

Thank you for the very specific reply. It is much appreciated. The dealer and his staff ran the VIN before ordering the rims and later told me that a 225/65R16 tire/rim combination will work. Do you think they are just covering a mistake and this will still add up to trouble as you assert?

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Thank you for the very specific reply. It is much appreciated. The dealer and his staff ran the VIN before ordering the rims and later told me that a 225/65R16 tire/rim combination will work. Do you think they are just covering a mistake and this will still add up to trouble as you assert?
You should be ok. The main problem is the wheel not being for a 2003 model. The higher profile 65 series tire will make up for the smaller 16 inch wheels, and provide more cushioning for potholes. So not likely trouble for you.

HTML