• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Clunky front end

Arno

Have an 09 MKS and Father has another 09 with the same problem. Clunky sounding front end. Ford says all is tight and good, obviously not. Over small bumps at moderate or slow speeds, in parking lots, in and out of driveways, etc. can hear and feel it. Has always done it, thinking might be factory struts?

frankparisi

Hard to tell without hearing and feeling it, but from your description. It is Mounts and/or bushings. Could be some as simple as tie end, sway bar etc.

Simonsays

Mine was lower control arm bushings. Replacing after my parts arrive, but not stopping there. Doing sway bar links, inner and outer tie rods, and if i must, new strut assembly as well. Ill post up some pics when i can.

Joqular086

SUPPORTING MEMBER

DRII

Mine was lower control arm bushings. Replacing after my parts arrive, but not stopping there. Doing sway bar links, inner and outer tie rods, and if i must, new strut assembly as well. Ill post up some pics when i can.
Hi, I'm new to the forum.

My 2010 MKS-EB needs new struts (i think).

Do you know if the complete strut assembly sets that work for the same year Taurus (SHO in my case) will work for our Lincolns?

I would assume so, but for whatever reason the parts are not available for the MKS. you have to buy just the replacement shock and not the entire assembly, makes the installation far more complex and expensive.

thanks...

G-672843

Have an 09 MKS and Father has another 09 with the same problem. Clunky sounding front end. Ford says all is tight and good, obviously not. Over small bumps at moderate or slow speeds, in parking lots, in and out of driveways, etc. can hear and feel it. Has always done it, thinking might be factory struts?
Mine does that, but I have the 20" low profile tire option. Low profile tires do not improve ride quality.

Joqular086

SUPPORTING MEMBER

Joqular086

SUPPORTING MEMBER

kdschlosser

I had a single thunk in my 2010 it turned out to be the right front control arm bushing (rear to frame). It has 160K on it so the suspension is worn. I replace everything.. and I do mean everything.. front control arms, front control arm bushings, inner and outer rack ends, front ball joints, struts, spring seats, strut mounts, rear toe links, rear trailing arms, rear lower ontrol arms, rear upper control arms, all control arm bushings, all of the bushings in the rear knuckles and the ball joints as well, shocks, wheel bearings (all), front and rear sway bar end links, front and rear sway bar bushings, front and rear brake calipers, rotors, caliper hoses, front and rear axles and CV's. I also picked up a replacement bolt for the upper control arm to knuckle in the rear that corrects the negative camber issue caused by improperly designed rear springs (severe inside tire wear on the rear)

There are 3 things on a car that have to be done right and 100% brakes, steering and airbags. (suspension and steering hold hands) all of the rest of the things not so much.. these 3 are the 3 that can kill you if not done right.

Lincoln was kind enough to put the trailing arm to frame bolt in backwards. couldn't get the bolt out unless the whole rear subframe was dropped. fun fun cutting a metric grade 10.9 (close to a grade 8) in a really confined space..

kdschlosser

Hi, I'm new to the forum.

My 2010 MKS-EB needs new struts (i think).

Do you know if the complete strut assembly sets that work for the same year Taurus (SHO in my case) will work for our Lincolns?

I would assume so, but for whatever reason the parts are not available for the MKS. you have to buy just the replacement shock and not the entire assembly, makes the installation far more complex and expensive.

thanks...

No you cannot use the Taurus quick struts. There are also 2 different struts available for the 2010. You will have to use the manufacture date to know which ones to get. the struts are 2 different lengths. The Taurus springs have different compression rates and also load ratings and will screw up the handling of the MKS if you do not "convert" the rear suspension. I think you would need to change the front and rear sway bars and the rear springs in order to have the car handle properly if you want to use the Taurus quick struts. I do not know if the GVW is different between the Taurus and the MKS. I would be willing to bet it is. and changing the springs is going to change the GVW of the car. and possibly the ride height. I investigated the Taurus as well when I replaced the Suspension on my MKS. I called Monroe and asked why the taurus had a quick strut and the MKS did not and also asked if there were any differences between the 2. the short answer is.. get the correct suspension parts for your model.

if you do not know if you need new struts then you probably do not. if they are leaking then you need new ones.. if you have a vibration in the steering wheel and you can have someone drive next to you and they see your tire bouncing almost uncontrollably you need new struts. if you run your hand over the tread on your tire and you feel scalloped (wavy) tread then you need new struts. if you hit something and bent one of them..... guess what.. you need new struts and probably new control arms as well.

Last edited:

Joqular086

SUPPORTING MEMBER

rgralliart

Hello....I have a 2013 MKS with ecoboost with only 30,000 mi and I'm having a similar issue with my front suspension. Most of the time she drives like a dream but over certain road irregularities like pot holes, expansion strips etc, it is downright harsh. I live in the Northeast so the roads are horrendous.
I've had it to the dealer numerous times and they say everything is perfect. I bought new Continental tires (geared more for comfort than handling) and nothing has changed. I brought it to a local family service shop whom I trust and they spent a considerable time looking into all suspension components that could possibly be causing this, including upper and lower control arm bushings. Everything looked in perfect order. They disconnected the signal to the electronic struts which is supposed to constantly monitor the ride according to road conditions and driver input and they noticed absolutely no discernible difference in the ride. They concluded that it could be the electronic struts. I brought it back to the dealer and told them of the findings and after keeping the car for 8 hours they returned it exactly as I brought it saying that everything checks out physically and there are absolutely no error codes. Therefore, there is nothing for us to fix. Since I only bought this car 6 months ago I do not know how it rode new, but I can not believe that this nearly $60,000 car was designed to ride this rough over certain road conditions. I get it that this model has the sport suspension but even set on Comfort, the ride is like driving an 1980's Corvette. Please help or share your stories...thanks

DRII

No you cannot use the Taurus quick struts. There are also 2 different struts available for the 2010. You will have to use the manufacture date to know which ones to get. the struts are 2 different lengths. The Taurus springs have different compression rates and also load ratings and will screw up the handling of the MKS if you do not "convert" the rear suspension. I think you would need to change the front and rear sway bars and the rear springs in order to have the car handle properly if you want to use the Taurus quick struts. I do not know if the GVW is different between the Taurus and the MKS. I would be willing to bet it is. and changing the springs is going to change the GVW of the car. and possibly the ride height. I investigated the Taurus as well when I replaced the Suspension on my MKS. I called Monroe and asked why the taurus had a quick strut and the MKS did not and also asked if there were any differences between the 2. the short answer is.. get the correct suspension parts for your model.

if you do not know if you need new struts then you probably do not. if they are leaking then you need new ones.. if you have a vibration in the steering wheel and you can have someone drive next to you and they see your tire bouncing almost uncontrollably you need new struts. if you run your hand over the tread on your tire and you feel scalloped (wavy) tread then you need new struts. if you hit something and bent one of them..... guess what.. you need new struts and probably new control arms as well.
Yes, the struts are leaking, was just confirmed by the shop that did my inspection.

But, the thing is, I actually like how the car handles with the (what I assume) is reduced compression and/or travel from the leaking struts 90% of the time. the feel is firmer and sportier, and I like it, its just over some rougher pavement or expansion joints that the car feels bad. at one point it would make a weird 'bopping' noise over such pavement, but that has stopped.

So obviously i know the struts are going to have to be replaced, I'm sure the condition will eventually get worse (but again I actually like how it feels now most of the time). However, I think I would be interested in getting the SHO replacement shocks vs the MKS's, even if its not the 'quick strut' type. I want a firmer feel.

BTW, manufacturers will always tell you to get what I tell you to get and don't ask questions. doesn't make it necessarily anything more than arbitrary. the first gen MKS-EB and SHO are nearly identical besides spring rates and other such tinkering, plus the MKS has about 400 pounds worth of sound deadening material and various other isolation add ons along with a back seat that does not fold to add rigidity.

FYI, I was going to originally get the SHO, but the MKS with the same engine was over 5k cheaper (both used) so I opted for that, plus I really like the look of the 2010-12 MKS. I always wanted a sportier car. I almost immediately got new wheels to add some 'feel' to the ridiculously cloud like ride.

so i think I may be in a 'different boat' from others on this forum...

bbf2530

Hello....I have a 2013 MKS with ecoboost with only 30,000 mi and I'm having a similar issue with my front suspension. Most of the time she drives like a dream but over certain road irregularities like pot holes, expansion strips etc, it is downright harsh. I live in the Northeast so the roads are horrendous.
I've had it to the dealer numerous times and they say everything is perfect. I bought new Continental tires (geared more for comfort than handling) and nothing has changed. I brought it to a local family service shop whom I trust and they spent a considerable time looking into all suspension components that could possibly be causing this, including upper and lower control arm bushings. Everything looked in perfect order. They disconnected the signal to the electronic struts which is supposed to constantly monitor the ride according to road conditions and driver input and they noticed absolutely no discernible difference in the ride. They concluded that it could be the electronic struts. I brought it back to the dealer and told them of the findings and after keeping the car for 8 hours they returned it exactly as I brought it saying that everything checks out physically and there are absolutely no error codes. Therefore, there is nothing for us to fix. Since I only bought this car 6 months ago I do not know how it rode new, but I can not believe that this nearly $60,000 car was designed to ride this rough over certain road conditions. I get it that this model has the sport suspension but even set on Comfort, the ride is like driving an 1980's Corvette. Please help or share your stories...thanks
Hi rgralliart. These may seem like overly simple/silly questions/suggestions, but have you checked your tire pressures and what pressure/PSI are you running? You should be running the specified tire pressure on the manufacturers door placard, located on your drivers side door sill. Maybe go 2-3 pounds over, if you wish.

However, definitely do not follow fill your tires to the Max PSI tire pressure embossed on your tires. That is the Maximum tire pressure allowed, and should not be used under any normal circumstances. Overinflated tires may/will definitely give a quite noticeably harsher ride. Especially on rough roads (I also live in the Northeast).

Again, it may seem simple/silly, but you can not necessarily depend on the shops to have checked the pressures, or actually adjusted pressures to make sure they are properly inflated.

Hope you can find a solution to your problem. Keep us updated and good luck.

rgralliart

Hi again and much appreciate your suggestion. I have always been a bit anal when it comes to tire pressure and check it every few weeks even when I had cars without ride issues. Manufacturer says inflate them to 35 and that is exactly where I keep it. But thanks anyway. Any other ideas?

HTML