Climate Control flaking out.

RedGeminiPA

Altoona, PA
Starting 3 days ago, when I got in and started it, the climate control started making tones, as if functions were being pressed. When I glanced over, I noticed the temp was climbing on its own. When trying to press the cool button or My Temp, it kept fighting my inputs. Trying to turn it off, it was fighting with me on that, too, and kept turning itself back on (all using the buttons on the console panel). Pressing My Temp on the touch screen climate menu eventually got it working correctly for a brief time, then it started doing it again. I was finally able to turn it off, and it was fine until I reached my destination about 3 miles away, then it stated beeping again and increasing the temp. The heated and cooled seats function normal, and the stereo seems to be unaffected.

Same thing happened yesterday when I picked up my mom to go for dinner. When we were about to leave the restaurant, I popped the negative battery terminal to see if it might reset something and start working properly. After about 5 minutes, I reconnected the battery, started the car, and it started doing it immediately upon startup again.

I noticed it stays stuck in auto mode when this happens, and I can't even control the fan speed, at least from the console panel. I haven't tested those using the touchscreen.

Has this happened to anyone? I'm leaning towards a malfunctioning console panel, but I can't seem to figure out the technical term for it to search for used ones online.

RedGeminiPA

Altoona, PA
I found a YouTube video of the same problem with an MKS. He said replacing the FCIM (Front Control Interface Module - touch panel on the console) fixed the problem.

RedGeminiPA

Altoona, PA
It's definitely the FCIM. If I give it a good smack, it'll usually start working normal for quite a while. Now to locate a good used one... I'm not finding any on Ebay. If there are any, I'm not sure how they're wording it.

RedGeminiPA

Altoona, PA
Update:

It appears to only effect the driver's side "+" temp, as only that side changes when in dual climate mode.

There seems to be a way to take the FCIM apart to clean dust out of it, which is supposed to fix the issue. I'm hoping to get to that in the next few days, and I'm planning to take pictures of the process for those of you who may end up having similar issues, as this is said to be a fairly common problem with Ford's FCIM panels.

RedGeminiPA

Altoona, PA
Update:

I took it apart, and sprayed compressed air on the touch circuitry. I didn't really find any dust in mine. It seems to be working so far, but haven't had much run time to really assess. I'll update this post with basic procedure pics if this proves to be a fix.

Sagar810

Boulder, COLORADO
Update:

It appears to only effect the driver's side "+" temp, as only that side changes when in dual climate mode.

There seems to be a way to take the FCIM apart to clean dust out of it, which is supposed to fix the issue. I'm hoping to get to that in the next few days, and I'm planning to take pictures of the process for those of you who may end up having similar issues, as this is said to be a fairly common problem with Ford's FCIM panels.
Is FCIM not covered by the warranty you have?

RedGeminiPA

Altoona, PA
Is FCIM not covered by the warranty you have?
Mine is a 2014 with 116k miles on it. The only warranty I have is 3rd party for drivetrain only.

Update on my "fix": It is starting to act up again, but not just temp change. Sometimes it goes to LO, and turns itself on by itself. I'll have to start checking local salvage yards for a replacement.

HTML