Changing Fluids

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

Hotrodlincoln62

Good morning all, I've recently purchased a 97 Lincoln Towncar with 96k miles and have been getting mixed opinions on what fluids to change.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I want to make sure the car is sound and it has everything it needs like if I wanted to drive across country.
Also on a side note, When I go to brake, should the brakes be sensitive or will it normally take half the pedal, I also notice a slight shutter in the pedal when braking, is this normal? The only thing I have to compare this with is my recently sold 1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille, you touch the brakes on that and you could stand the car on its nose. What do you guys think?
PJM

jkeaton

Winston Salem, NC
Does the vehicle have an owners manual? That will tell yhou the fluid change interval and what fluids to change. Pedal pulsations could be caused by warped rotors. Pedal effort is a bit more on my 04 TC compared to say, my truck. All vehicles have different feel when it comes to brakes. You will get used to it.

bbf2530

Good morning all, I've recently purchased a 97 Lincoln Towncar with 96k miles and have been getting mixed opinions on what fluids to change.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I want to make sure the car is sound and it has everything it needs like if I wanted to drive across country.
Also on a side note, When I go to brake, should the brakes be sensitive or will it normally take half the pedal, I also notice a slight shutter in the pedal when braking, is this normal? The only thing I have to compare this with is my recently sold 1970 Cadillac Sedan DeVille, you touch the brakes on that and you could stand the car on its nose. What do you guys think?
PJM

Hi Hrl. If you do not have the service records and proof of maintenance from the previous owner, I would advise changing all fluids (since some could be ~25 years old). Oil, transmission, coolant, brake, power steering...

Concerning the shudder in the brake pedal: No, it is not "normal" to feel a shudder in the brake pedal. It usually means you have a warped brake rotor/rotors. If you only feel it in the brake pedal/seat of your pants, it is likely/usually a rear rotor/rotors.
If you can feel/see it in the steering wheel, it is likely/usually a front rotor/rotors (but have the rears also checked).

Concerning how far the brake pedal should travel; That is s more difficult question to answer, since it depends on how fast you are going, how quickly you are trying to stop etc. Either way, it is a~25 year old car with a brake shudder/probable warped rotor or rotors and possible excessive pedal travel...so if you do not know the vehicle service history, you should have all the fluids changed and the brakes professionally checked.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Last edited:

Norms1stTC

I used all factory recommended fluid in mine when I got it minus the rear end which I used Amsoil gear lube because I happened to have the viscosity it called for . I did an oil change, differential change, coolant change and flushed and filled brake lines and power steering fluid .....Good luck.