Center high mount brake lamp

ltc4me

Just bought a 2010 town car last weekend and am pretty sure the high mount brake light in the rear window was working, and today I had a rear left brake light bulb go out and while a friend was behind the car I asked him if the high mount brake light was working, he said no. I know that it is led, my question is, is it very common for these to go out? I didn’t notice any mention of a fuse dedicated just to it, in the owners manual. Thanks.

Brian J. Patterson

Northern Illinois
Just bought a 2010 town car last weekend and am pretty sure the high mount brake light in the rear window was working, and today I had a rear left brake light bulb go out and while a friend was behind the car I asked him if the high mount brake light was working, he said no. I know that it is led, my question is, is it very common for these to go out? I didn’t notice any mention of a fuse dedicated just to it, in the owners manual. Thanks.
Hi, ltc4me.

Common? No. Un-heard of? Also no. Using a multi-meter and a friend, check the voltage to the connector with the brake pedal depressed. If voltage is found (very likely,) replace the (rather pricey) lamp assembly.

Good luck.

ltc4me

Hi, ltc4me.

Common? No. Un-heard of? Also no. Using a multi-meter and a friend, check the voltage to the connector with the brake pedal depressed. If voltage is found (very likely,) replace the (rather pricey) lamp assembly.

Good luck.
Oh ok, thanks so much. Originally I thought, man I don’t know if I want to go prying on that and possibly break some kind of clip and not get it back up there tight, or damage the headliner or something. But in the owners manual it talks like just pull it down, I was like hmmm okaaay. I would like to invest in a service manual for lots of reasons, and especially if they go into detail about the procedures for repairs, disassembly, etc etc. Also, you said that light assembly is expensive. Do you know roughly how much new? Thanks again.

Brian J. Patterson

Northern Illinois
Oh ok, thanks so much. Originally I thought, man I don’t know if I want to go prying on that and possibly break some kind of clip and not get it back up there tight, or damage the headliner or something. But in the owners manual it talks like just pull it down, I was like hmmm okaaay. I would like to invest in a service manual for lots of reasons, and especially if they go into detail about the procedures for repairs, disassembly, etc etc. Also, you said that light assembly is expensive. Do you know roughly how much new? Thanks again.
Hi, ltc4me.

The price is something like $78 for just the LED assembly at Tasca Parts. Other parts suppliers may give a better price.

Good luck.

HTML