Car Wash, Wax, Paint Protection, Ceramic Coating

topdavis

Does anyone have a specific product they like for hand washing. I currently use Zaino Bothers Products and have for years, but they really don't have a quick detailing product that works the way I like. I've already added paint protection film so now I was thinking to add ceramic coating on top. Has anybody had experience with using a ceramic coating?

bbf2530

Does anyone have a specific product they like for hand washing. I currently use Zaino Bothers Products and have for years, but they really don't have a quick detailing product that works the way I like. I've already added paint protection film so now I was thinking to add ceramic coating on top. Has anybody had experience with using a ceramic coating?
Hi topdavis. Although I haven't used Zaino, I have always heard very good things about their products.

Personally, I use Meguiar's products to wash and wax. I use their Gold Class Car Wash Liquid Soap to wash, Gold Class Liquid Wax or Meguir's Cleaner Wax for waxing and Quik Detailer Spray for between wash cleanups. Mother's also makes very good products.

I have not had any of my cars, including my 2018 MKZ 3.0T AWD, ceramic coated, so can not comment with any experience.

I am sure others will jump in with their own recommendations and experience.

Good luck with your new Continental. :)

topdavis

Did some research on ceramic coating, on the Internet and at a local detailer. It seems that ceramic coating will eliminate the need for waxing your car and cut down the washing time as well. If your car doesn't require any paint correction before the coating is added, then it is a simple process that can take up to 3 days (you can't let the car get wet within the first 24 hours after the process is completed and the detailer will want to keep it an extra day to make sure the job will not require any touch up). It can take up to 3 weeks for the process to totally cure, but may happen within that time. Sunlight can help that process.

You shouldn't use a tunnel wash anyway, but with a ceramic coating DEFINITELY do not use a tunnel wash with brushes. A simple jet spray car wash is fine, but hand washing is the best option. You can use just water to wash the car after the coating or any ceramic approved car wash product. The water and dirt does just roll off after the car is coated. The detailer showed me this on his car by pouring water on his car and it just rolled right off. It did feel like I was a participant in a 2am infomercial at this point. The process is warrantied for 5 years by the ceramic coating company and if there are any issues, they will take care of it at any authorized shop.

You have to make sure to tell the dealer or a body shop that you have ceramic coating on the car so they do not do anything to ruin the ceramic coating while they repair the car. If you have minor body work done like ding or dent repair, you want to let them know not to polish the area and you will need to take the car back to a detailer to re-apply the coating (I do not know if this is covered under warranty or if the body shop will cover the cost for this, but it should be minimal).

I'm going to check the cost at another shop near me, but I expect to get the work done by the end of the month if scheduling allows.

topdavis

Finally got the ceramic coating done to the car. Amazing. The coating adds a nice shine/gloss to the car and does actually work. Water falls off of the car and there is no need to wax the vehicle. Washing the car is REALLY easy. Spray car down with hose, dry what little water remains with leaf blower. There is a touch up spray product for the coating that you can use 3 - 4 times a year. Depending on environment, you may not need it. You can take the car back annually to where the service was done and they will make sure everything is top notch and perform any maintenance on the coating as needed.

HTML