Can I set a used key fob to work in my 2016 MKX?

nuck

I have read that as I don't have both originals I will have to go to a Ford dealer to program it, but if I buy a used fob off of Ebay is there any issue? I know I couldn't do this with my Lexus but what I have read seems to indicate that Ford fobs can be reused oif they are identical. Thanks for any responses

bbf2530

I have read that as I don't have both originals I will have to go to a Ford dealer to program it, but if I buy a used fob off of Ebay is there any issue? I know I couldn't do this with my Lexus but what I have read seems to indicate that Ford fobs can be reused oif they are identical. Thanks for any responses
Hi nuck. Sorry, your questions are a bit confusing to me, so I'll do my best to answer.

Are you asking if you can buy a used fob off eBay and have a Dealer [program it? The answer is yes, as long as it is a compatible fob.

However, if you are asking if you can use it without programming, or program it yourself with only one programmed fob in your possession, the answer is no. If you only have one programmed fob, you need a Lincoln/Ford Dealer to program a second one, whether it is new or used. You need to have two programmed fobs to be able to program a third one yourself.

Hope this information helps and good luck.

nuck

Hi nuck. Sorry, your questions are a bit confusing to me, so I'll do my best to answer.

Are you asking if you can buy a used fob off eBay and have a Dealer [program it? The answer is yes, as long as it is a compatible fob.

However, if you are asking if you can use it without programming, or program it yourself with only one programmed fob in your possession, the answer is no. If you only have one programmed fob, you need a Lincoln/Ford Dealer to program a second one, whether it is new or used. You need to have two programmed fobs to be able to program a third one yourself.

Hope this information helps and good luck.
Thanks bbf that is what I hoped.

nuck

So I took my Ebay keyfob to the dealer and it wouldn't program. To be clear this is an Ebay item but it is the actual Ford part, npot a knockoff. He said it seemed to start to program and then stopped after a minute and would not start to program again after numerous tries. Never tried to charge me or sell me the new Ford part. He just said looks like a bad fob.

When I hold the button down the little red light on the fob comes on and when I put it in the glove box niche I can actually start the vehicle. Does that mean it partially programmed or will any MKX fob do this? I want to send it back to the seller but I am wondering if the problem was the Ford dealer and not the fob. Any thoughts?

bbf2530

So I took my Ebay keyfob to the dealer and it wouldn't program. To be clear this is an Ebay item but it is the actual Ford part, npot a knockoff. He said it seemed to start to program and then stopped after a minute and would not start to program again after numerous tries. Never tried to charge me or sell me the new Ford part. He just said looks like a bad fob.

When I hold the button down the little red light on the fob comes on and when I put it in the glove box niche I can actually start the vehicle. Does that mean it partially programmed or will any MKX fob do this? I want to send it back to the seller but I am wondering if the problem was the Ford dealer and not the fob. Any thoughts?
Hi nuck. My thoughts (and they are only blind Internet thoughts), are that the fob may be a cheap knockoff.
I do not know if an unprogrammed fob would start the vehicle whhile in the dead fob slot. I would hope not, as that would seem like a serious security system flaw.

You may be better off purchasing the OEM fob and having it programmed. You do not want to be caught with only one working fob.

Perhaps another member will have better insight into this.

Keep us updated and good luck.

HTML