• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Can I replace the ball joints myself?

BrianMyers

1998 Town Car. I have removed/replaced motors and transmissions but I'm wondering if I can safelt change my own ball joints. I am just concerned about the pressure of the spring.

Anyone ever change their own ball joints?

Brian

LincolnJosh

Yes, You will just need to remove couple of bolts and ball joint fork separator tool to remove the uppers.

Then you can also use ball joint press tool to remove the lowers from the lower control arm.

as for the spring pressure you can place a hydraulic jack under the lower control arm to support it while you work.

All special tools that should be able to be rented from your local auto store.

BrianMyers

Thank you. Tell me, do you have an opinion about those replacement control arms that include new bushings and ball joints? I am seeing new control arms w/all new parts for $39. I'm just fearing they're junk.

LincolnJosh

$39? Either a fantastic deal or really cheaply made. Read up on the manufacturer or where they come from, reviews etc.

Where did you find those at?

As far as I know Ford and help manuals usually recommend just replacing the lower control arms at the time of replacing the lower ball joints. Quick search turned up 1aauto for complete replacement set for upper and lowers for $239.

But you could pull the lower arms and use a press to pull out the bushings and replace those if you wanted to

BrianMyers

So here's an update; left the control arms and just changed the ball joints. Uppers were hard but I got them out. The lowers were impossible. A blow-torch and an hour of hitting w/a hammer did nothing. I finally had to re-assemble the car and limp to my trusted mechanic. He said he needed an acetylene torch to get them out. But all's done and she drives like a dream now. Thanks.

HTML