Can I do some programming to my ECM (and TCM if I have one) myself?

DoubleJ

I have this old Subaru. I buy a thing called a Tactrix, plug it into an old Windows 7 laptop, and I can change anything. Fuel mapping, boost curves, ignition timing, idle speeds, emissions equipment. Everything.

I have this old Silverado. I put a big motor in it with a small cam, sent the ECM and TCM to a guy, he changed everything and I'm making over 400HP and can activate traction control on a 1-2 shift.

I have this old Lincoln (2011). The dealership won't deactivate my DRLs because safety. The transmission takes 4 seconds to shift and is hunting gears on Colorado hilly roads more than it's accelerating because mushy Lincoln. Other than my 69 beetle, it's the slowest thing I own. Is there a doodad I can plug into it, plug in my laptop, and make these changes myself? I've been told such, but looking to confirm.

SGilbert

South Bend, IN
I'm no mechanic, but years ago I had a 'slushy' tranny in one of my cars (can't even remember what car) and the tranny shop installed snap bands. No idea what that is, but all shifts were fast and hard. I loved it!

DoubleJ

There is a thing you can do to the trans, mustang people do it, I don't recall what it is but it's a minor modification that firms everything up. I'd still have DRLs though, and they're the devil.

wolf_walker

J-Mod might help on the trans, it's a physical mod not a electrical one.

There are tuners and such you can plug in, but they ain't cheap and I don't know to what degree you can readily alter things.
Might find a shop that tunes mustangs and ask them, same junk basically.

I can imagine it's a huge pita trying to drive in hilly terrain.

DoubleJ

Checked the Forscan page, just says diagnostics and some service stuff. It's also written in engrish, makes me nervous. J mod is the one I was thinking of, supposed to be pretty easy, but if I need to pay a tuner anyway I'll probably just get the DRLs turned off, maybe I can get some more timing and run premium and they can turn up my line pressure or something to speed the shifts up.

I have an 01 TC and I used my FORSCAN and about the only thing you can do is turn on/off DRL's and a couple other things like the easy entry/exit feature. Not really much with tranny tuning. I can change the mapping on my Flex, but not on the TC....Give it a try it could work on the 2011.