Cam Phaser replacement

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

Okladoug

I own a 2018 RWD Lincoln Navigator with 43,000 miles on it. This vehicle has been a joy to drive and have been problem free. I can easily average 21 mpg on a tank full of gas. This notice appeared on my Lincoln app last week. They are in the process of replacing them this week. Has anyone else received this notice. I have noticed the clatter/rattle in the morning startup. It goes away after driving. How important was getting this replaced? Is it common in the 3.5 liter engine? Any guidance would be appreciated. Is it a common issue with this engine? I plan on keeping it for several more years and wonder if the extended warranty would be worth it?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210303-153255_Lincoln Way.jpg
    Screenshot_20210303-153255_Lincoln Way.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 22

2021Navigator

As I understand this issue it was first reported with the F-150 engines, I'm sure others who are more acquainted with this issue can give the history. As there were upgrades (different generations) to the 3.5 liter engine there were changes to address the cam phaser issue. It sounds like Ford has developed another revision to this issue and are deploying to your 2018 Navigator. If you do a WEB search for Ford 3.5 liter cam phaser issues you find some good YouTube videos which explain the problem and some of the changes.

amydavis52

I own a 2018 RWD Lincoln Navigator with 43,000 miles on it. This vehicle has been a joy to drive and have been problem free. I can easily average 21 mpg on a tank full of gas. This notice appeared on my Lincoln app last week. They are in the process of replacing them this week. Has anyone else received this notice. I have noticed the clatter/rattle in the morning startup. It goes away after driving. How important was getting this replaced? Is it common in the 3.5 liter engine? Any guidance would be appreciated. Is it a common issue with this engine? I plan on keeping it for several more years and wonder if the extended warranty would be worth it?
Do you know if it sounded like this?
20210317_220553000_iOS.MOV
I just had my 2019 at the dealer to check my engine noise. They initially said it was likely the cam phasers, then the next day they said there was no problem, they heard nothing and returned it to me unfixed. 😕

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Burr Ridge, IL
Do you know if it sounded like this?
20210317_220553000_iOS.MOV
I just had my 2019 at the dealer to check my engine noise. They initially said it was likely the cam phasers, then the next day they said there was no problem, they heard nothing and returned it to me unfixed. 😕
Mine does that for about 45 seconds and stops. I am not sure this is related to the cam phasers, but as usual, I could be wrong.

amydavis52

Mine does that for about 45 seconds and stops. I am not sure this is related to the cam phasers, but as usual, I could be wrong.
Thanks. Mine does this the entire time it’s idling or driving. Not as loud while you’re driving but it’s there. Very frustrating that they claim they hear nothing abnormal. Going to try a different dealer.

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Burr Ridge, IL
Thanks. Mine does this the entire time it’s idling or driving. Not as loud while you’re driving but it’s there. Very frustrating that they claim they hear nothing abnormal. Going to try a different dealer.
Oh okay. Well, I have seen on the forums that there were known issues and replacements with the 2018 and perhaps 2019 EB engines with respect to the cam phasers. I hope you can hold them to solving this.

Okladoug

Oh okay. Well, I have seen on the forums that there were known issues and replacements with the 2018 and perhaps 2019 EB engines with respect to the cam phasers. I hope you can hold them to solving this.

Attachments

• MC-10180531-0001.pdf
    74 KB · Views: 21

Okladoug

This is the technical service bulletin regarding the problem.

Okladoug

My navigator sounded just like that! Almost like a diesel clatter sound. My sound was only during startup after sitting overnight . It was really noticeable in enclosed garage as it magnified the sound.

turkeyfoot

I have a '19 Nav. I noticed the cam phaser issue about 6 months ago at about 35k. My take? Lincoln formally acknowledges the problem but engineering cannot solve it.
I was told to set aside a week for the work. Then I talked to several advisors. It seemed there had been an approach to replace all the hardware associated with the problem. Then it changed to addressing it with firmware.
I was getting jerked around. Within a week of the firmware "fix" I had the noise again.
At around the same visit my MPG gauge reported 10 having been 18.1 for more than a year.
Then suddenly the range reported was now up to 475 instead of the "normal" 421 max. And it varies greatly.

When I asked about these ^^ 2 things the advisor asked me what octane I used. ha

I left a message for the Service Manager. I finally received a personal call a month later.

In no uncertain terms he said he was having a "come to jesus" meeting with said advisor. He also related a talk or information gathering he had been doing with seasoned line techs on the cam issue. And said there was a common thread relating to no solution to the problem ever. I appreciated his bluntness because at least I wasn't going to be wrapped up in thinking it could be solved.

It was a month later that Lincoln sent me a TB. Clearly a major f up in PR.

I like my Nav. Its had 3 problems. Nothing that affects the ride though. I paid in advance for 4 yrs of coverage. 8 overall since it is a Black Label.

On another note, there are annoying things like glare on the windshield coming from the dash and drive vent. The road noise is loud making the interior noise cancelling system (if there is a thing) a laugh. I just replaced the Hankooks after 45k, tread down to 2/32nds. Hopefully the Continental Sure Contact LX will last.

I'm already sizing up a future buy in large SUV's. But am also leary of what I don't know similarly to the cam problem.

Lincoln, Consumer Reports just reported, comes in last in all manufacturers line ups.