Cabin Air Filter

Babyburr

Ok, I know that some of the LTCs do not have a cabin air filter. Is this doing any sort of harm to system? I’ve seen a video on making a filter for my car. I think I may do that.
What do you think? My 2005 doesn’t call for one, but I think it should have one.

bbf2530

Ok, I know that some of the LTCs do not have a cabin air filter. Is this doing any sort of harm to system? I’ve seen a video on making a filter for my car. I think I may do that.
What do you think? My 2005 doesn’t call for one, but I think it should have one.

Hi Bb. The HVAC systems in older vehicles (such as your Lincoln Town Car) worked perfectly, for many years, without a cabin air filter. If your Lincoln Town Car does not call for one, there is no reason to add one (unless you want/need it for health/respiratory issues).

Now...in newer vehicles designed for one, not changing it can lead to functionality issues. Mainly lower airflow due to clogging of the filter. However, that does not apply to your Lincoln Town Car.

If you want to adapt and retrofit your 2005 Lincoln Town Car for one due to health issues, feel free to. But it is not necessary as far as the designed and engineered functionality.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

04TC

Tampa, FL
If you do it will restrict the airflow somewhat, and with all late model of these Cars the airflow is not very strong to begin with. If it was me I wouldn't do it.

Babyburr

Well, I made one and I can’t tell any difference in air flow. I’ll just keep it for a while.

btesar

Durham, NC
I just added a cabin filter. If anyone is interested, a 2004 Ford Focus 2.0 Liter filter is exactly twice as wide as is needed STP CAF1756. I cut it in half and trimmed the hard edge to match the slant of the box. I'll see how it does for airflow. I'm adding this during the spring pine pollen season to keep the yellow haze outside. IMG_0645.jpeg IMG_0646.jpeg IMG_0647.jpeg IMG_0649.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0645.jpeg
    IMG_0645.jpeg
    422.2 KB · Views: 0

Ballyhoo

I often pondered on the idea mentioned by some inventive individuals. Yesterday, I removed the cowl cover to clean out leaves from the box after smelling them over the winter when the heater was on. With a fine mesh screen covering the inlet I decided not to add the paper element because I added another mesh cover behind the upper cowl panel to prevent any further debris entering. So adding one has me leaning towards low air flow which may cause a change in ventilation flow inside. Or not?

2 Abrahams 4 Me

You can modify a filter that goes into a Jeep (2010 I think) that will work and many guys do this but what I do is constantly blow out the intake area with a shop vac. I find that works well.

Babyburr

I must be missing something when it comes to installing one of these filters.
How do you stop the filtration material from getting wet?
Well, if all the drains are working like they should, water should not be able to go into that area. May get a little if the wind is blowing, I guess. I had a filter in mine for quite a while. Not wet and airflow was the same. It’s whatever ya want to do, ya know what I’m talkin about?

btesar

Durham, NC
I installed the cabin filter to keep the pollen out. Here in NC, we have the annual pine pollen season. Here is a picture the day after I washed this car. When you drive on the roads, you create a yellow cloud behind the car .

Fairlane_Pollen.jpg