Buying 2018 high mlg continental

Alkemist

Hi,
Thanks in advance. I am about to buy a high mileage 2018 continental with 135k miles with a 150k factory warranty remaining. My question is, any known issues that I should look out for? How are they holding up at that range?
My experience in seeing other high mileage lincolns has been good, just worried about this given all the new updated tech.

bbf2530

Hi,
Thanks in advance. I am about to buy a high mileage 2018 continental with 135k miles with a 150k factory warranty remaining. My question is, any known issues that I should look out for? How are they holding up at that range?
My experience in seeing other high mileage lincolns has been good, just worried about this given all the new updated tech.
Hi Alkemist. Honestly, you are probably looking at the grandfather of all 2018 Continentals.

That is possibly about the highest mileage 2018 Continental that may be out there. So there is little to nothing that other Continental owners could tell you, since again, you are looking at the likely mileage king.

As an FYI: It only has ~15,000 miles left on the warranty. And it is not a "factory warranty", since the factory New Car Bumper to Bumper Warranty is 4 years/50,000 miles, and the factory Powertrain Warranty is 6 years/70,000 miles. It is some sort of Extended Warranty. It may be the LincolnProtect extended warranty, but it is not the "factor warranty". It may seem like just semantics, but the semantics are important in this case. So what type of warranty is it and what does it cover?

My opinion: While I am not in your shoes personally, I would recommend against buying any 135,000 mile car that isn't being restored and put away as a future "Classic".

Again, that is only my opinion, so good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
The car manufacturer placard gives the build date which I would suppose is 3 years ago or so. If 3 years old then 45,000 miles per year is most likely through covering long distances per day. That is the best kind of mileage for reduced wear and tear on all parts of the car.

The next most important item is the maintenance history, which may be difficult to obtain, but I would ask for it. In the absence of the records, I would change all the fluids, even the coolant, so you have a good starting point. The AWD versions have additional components that need oil changes around that kind of mileage. Spark plugs are changed at 100,000 miles at the longest. Some models have changeable fuel filters, but others do not (my 2.7 turbo as an example). An alignment will identify excess wear in joints so is a good idea. Tires are expensive so ensure lots of tread life. The brake pads are worn out at 3mm or less and the brake discs must be smooth or replace.

Getting a third party mechanic to look at the car will identify any significant problems that may not be covered by the remaining warranty.

My 2017 had problems with the electronic door latches that showed up early and fixed under warranty. I have not had any other issues that were not related to my ignorance. It seems that most of the issues were resolved before the 2018 model year so you should be good.

Good luck with your purchase.

Alkemist

Thanks, that is definitely helpful, the vehicle was used for chauffeuring, i know lower miles would be better, but this one is in good condition as in no dents scratches etc. and its for just $12000, lower miles ones are double the price. I will see if he will let me have a mechanic look at it.

Alkemist

Thanks appreciate the replies, i will definitely look into all this. See what the mechanic says, i am suppose to look at it next week and update you guys,

HTML