Brand new Aviator problems

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

Hnb1118

Jun 29, 2022
My Lincoln
2022 Aviator
Purchased a 2022 Aviator less than a month ago. Immediately the front passenger seat rattles. When I push on it hard it stops. It sounds like a tin can in the front it’s so loud. When someone is sitting in the seat it doesn’t happen.
Problem 2 is a big one. When I’m going slow (under 20) and braking there is a knocking/thudding coming from under the car. It is driving me insane.
We took it in today (after a 3.5 week wait & me holding the passenger seat as I drive) and they can’t find anything wrong with the brakes. Why they didn’t check the suspension or literally anything else I have no idea. So essentially they didn’t do anything. The seat- they’d have to keep the car for a few days but didn’t have a loaner so we are on the list. I’m so mad I want to cry. First of all, this was my dream car. We traded a Highlander which btw was rock solid and never had a single issue in 4.5 years. This was a big splurge for my family and I’m 100% regretting it. This car seems like it’s just not built very well. Which I can live with but I can’t live with these two issues. I thought Lincoln was top notch.
If anyone has these issues or an idea of what it could be please suggest away. Lincoln isn’t helping us.

bbf2530

Oct 12, 2011
Purchased a 2022 Aviator less than a month ago. Immediately the front passenger seat rattles. When I push on it hard it stops. It sounds like a tin can in the front it’s so loud. When someone is sitting in the seat it doesn’t happen.
Problem 2 is a big one. When I’m going slow (under 20) and braking there is a knocking/thudding coming from under the car. It is driving me insane.
We took it in today (after a 3.5 week wait & me holding the passenger seat as I drive) and they can’t find anything wrong with the brakes. Why they didn’t check the suspension or literally anything else I have no idea. So essentially they didn’t do anything. The seat- they’d have to keep the car for a few days but didn’t have a loaner so we are on the list. I’m so mad I want to cry. First of all, this was my dream car. We traded a Highlander which btw was rock solid and never had a single issue in 4.5 years. This was a big splurge for my family and I’m 100% regretting it. This car seems like it’s just not built very well. Which I can live with but I can’t live with these two issues. I thought Lincoln was top notch.
If anyone has these issues or an idea of what it could be please suggest away. Lincoln isn’t helping us.

Hi Hnb and welcome to the Lincoln Forums. Sorry you are having issues.

Here is one suggestion: If you have not already done so...When you bring your car in for service, ask the Service Advisor to take a test drive with you, or to send a tech with you. Physically demonstrate the issue to them.
Drive so the seat rattles. and so that they can hear the "knocking/thudding coming from underneath the car". Be sure they clearly state they hear it. Once they admit they hear it, they can't say otherwise.

Far too many owners make the mistake of bringing their vehicle in for a service appointment, telling the Service Advisor some version of, "My car is making a noise when I drive", then handing them the keys and expecting the Service Department to quickly find the problem.

However, by taking the SA or a tech on a drive and physically demonstrating the problem, we can avoid the dreaded "Could not duplicate customers concern" diagnosis.

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

peterk9

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Mar 29, 2014
Russell, Ontario, CANADA
My Lincoln
2020 Aviator Reserve
Welcome to the Forum Hnb1118. 👋
I second bbf2530's statement about having a tech drive with you so you can point out what you are talking about. You are familiar with the issues and he/she is not. I've also had 3 Highlanders previously but given the choice now, I'd take the Aviator without any hesitation.
Hopefully, these issues will be resolved and you'll be back to liking the vehicle again. Also, keep in mind that dealerships are independently owned so saying "Lincoln isn't helping us" is a rather broad statement.

Peter

Hnb1118

Jun 29, 2022
My Lincoln
2022 Aviator
Hi Hnb and welcome to the Lincoln Forums. Sorry you are having issues.

Here is one suggestion: If you have not already done so...When you bring your car in for service, ask the Service Advisor to take a test drive with you, or to send a tech with you. Physically demonstrate the issue to them.
Drive so the seat rattles. and so that they can hear the "knocking/thudding coming from underneath the car". Be sure they clearly state they hear it. Once they admit they hear it, they can't say otherwise.

Far too many owners make the mistake of bringing their vehicle in for a service appointment, telling the Service Advisor some version of, "My car is making a noise when I drive", then handing them the keys and expecting the Service Department to quickly find the problem.

However, by taking the SA or a tech on a drive and physically demonstrating the problem, we can avoid the dreaded "Could not duplicate customers concern" diagnosis.

Hnb1118

Jun 29, 2022
My Lincoln
2022 Aviator
Yep. Did that. Sat in the back seat. They heard the rattle and the brakes

Hnb1118

Jun 29, 2022
My Lincoln
2022 Aviator
Welcome to the Forum Hnb1118. 👋
I second bbf2530's statement about having a tech drive with you so you can point out what you are talking about. You are familiar with the issues and he/she is not. I've also had 3 Highlanders previously but given the choice now, I'd take the Aviator without any hesitation.
Hopefully, these issues will be resolved and you'll be back to liking the vehicle again. Also, keep in mind that dealerships are independently owned so saying "Lincoln isn't helping us" is a rather broad statement.

Peter
Hi
Yep, husband sat in backseat with tech and the tech heard everything. Still no help, said they didn’t see a problem with brakes and that was that. Just aggravated as this is a brand new vehicle we purchased with under 10 miles.

bbf2530

Oct 12, 2011
Yep. Did that. Sat in the back seat. They heard the rattle and the brakes

Hi Hnb. Concerning the seat: They said they need the vehicle for a few days and had no loaner. So that will hopefully be taken care of when you bring it back in.

Concerning the braking noise: If you have not already done this... If they said they heard it, but found "nothing wrong" and it is still making the noise, then speak to the Service Manager about the fact the tech hears it but said there is "nothing wrong', but you still have the noise.

If that gets you nowhere, call Lincoln Concierge and officially report your concerns and the Service Department response. Then let them advise you how to proceed from there. You can also seek service at another Lincoln Dealership.

VAMINER

May 1, 2021
I've had my Aviator in three times for warranty work and when a loaner wasn't available I went to the salesman who sold me the car and he put me in one of the used cars on the lot.
I will say, though, it was only for the day as my vehicle was repaired that day and not being kept for any length of time.
If the service department needs your Aviator for the day to try and solve or diagnose a problem and a loaner isn't available, ask for something else to drive. I drove a used Toyota Forerunner last time I went in for service. Out of those three times I only had a loaner Lincoln once.

peterk9

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Mar 29, 2014
Russell, Ontario, CANADA
My Lincoln
2020 Aviator Reserve
I've had my Aviator in three times for warranty work and when a loaner wasn't available I went to the salesman who sold me the car and he put me in one of the used cars on the lot.
I will say, though, it was only for the day as my vehicle was repaired that day and not being kept for any length of time.
If the service department needs your Aviator for the day to try and solve or diagnose a problem and a loaner isn't available, ask for something else to drive. I drove a used Toyota Forerunner last time I went in for service. Out of those three times I only had a loaner Lincoln once.
Unless the repair is urgent, I think most service departments will only book an appointment when a loaner becomes available, if you want a loaner that is. My dealership provides loaners to all of its customers regardless of the vehicle they own if the repair is to take longer than a day.

Peter

Hnb1118

Jun 29, 2022
My Lincoln
2022 Aviator
Hi
I posted here a few weeks ago about a brand new 2022 Aviator. First week owning it, there is a knocking noise coming from under the rear car at low speeds when baking. Like in a parking lot or coming up to a stop sign. The front seat rattles like crazy. Now the console and the dash at times rattle. If i have groceries in the trunk, they rattle and bounce everywhere.
After waiting 3.5 weeks, got it in the shop at the dealership we purchased it from. Rode with the technician and he heard the noises himself. They checked the brakes and found nothing wrong. Did NOTHING to the front seat except say that they need to keep it a few days so they put us on the waitlist for a loaner. It has now been over a month or so and still haven't heard anything from them.
Decided to try another Lincoln dealership and after waiting another 3 weeks, today a tech picked it up and heard these noises himself also. After inspection, they didn't find anything again. Said they tightened the bolts on the seat but didn't say whether or not that helped. (They are bringing it back in the morning to me). They say everything looks safe. This has me wondering if they actually inspect everything. He couldn't tell me the exact details just that "it looks fine."
I'm frustrated. I've owned about 8 cars in my life and have never had any issues like this, not even with used cars and certainly not as "nice" as this car.
Is it possible I purchased a lemon or are cars just being made terribly post Covid? I'm at a loss. I'm disappointed and regret getting rid of my perfectly fine Highlander which was solid and never had a single issue.
What can I do now? Btw, the 2 local Lincoln dealerships near me have TERRIBLE reviews for their service department which also worries me.
If I take it to get inspected by a non- affiliated Lincoln shop, and they find the problem and/or fix it, can I get refunded by Lincoln? This is a BRAND NEW car and obviously there should be no issues so if someone else finds the issues, what leg do I have to stand on here?
Thank you

Pete@STAP

Jan 2, 2008
Ontario
My Lincoln
2023 Aviator Reserve 201A
I've dealt with dealers that couldn't hear noises and see leaks. But i did find out that getting a bit more aggressive with the service manager and his supervision helped at times. Other times i had to call Ford customer service. I have once even had to get my lawyer to write a letter to the dealer, and once they received it, problems went away quickly.

Action

Aug 12, 2005
Phoenix, AZ 85008-1418
If I take it to get inspected by a non- affiliated Lincoln shop, and they find the problem and/or fix it, can I get refunded by Lincoln?
No
This is a BRAND NEW car and obviously there should be no issues so if someone else finds the issues, what leg do I have to stand on here?
You can contact Lincoln, however ... That is like killing one insect with an insect bomb. Or hiring a fumigation service for the single bug. It is a step to take, just may be not THE step to take right now.

Kudos for taking the tech or a servise advisor for a ride and have them experience the sound. AND they acknowledged the sound exists. So there is no question they can not hear the sound. Since they took it in for repair, there is a kind of acknowledgement that a service concern exists.

NEXT step, after the repair take the same guy/gal out for a ride and you drive. If sound is gone, alls good. If the sound is not gone point it out that to the service person, some more work is needed.

Don't go to the place of lemon or was the car built on Friday or COVID, that doesn't help the situation. Shops are overloaded, some of the techs do not have the experience and some added effort may be needed. I have been in lost of vehicles tha tmake sounds and the owner was only focused on one particular one.

Action

Newventurer

Jun 11, 2022
Ozarks
My Lincoln
2022 Aviator Standard
Not saying this is your issue but I had a rattle from behind the passenger seat and found out that the 2nd row seat had not ‘seated’ properly when I had cycled it forward and then cycled it back in position (or so I thought), did it again and made sure it was firmly engaged, fixed the noise, Good luck, hope it all gets fixed to your satisfaction