Brand New 2015 Lincoln Navigator Reserve - Pressure Buffeting / Vibration Problems !

biodole

Hello -

I'm a first time forum poster, long time Lincoln owner. I've had Navigators and Expeditions since the late 90s, and recently traded in a 2008 eddie bauer exp for a brand new 2015 Navigator Reserve 4x2.

At first test drive, I didn't notice anything awry, but after driving the car a few miles after purchase I noticed a strange issue. Vibration between 40-50mph and wind / pressure buffeting throughout the cabin while driving, particularly when hitting bumps or rough surfaces. For those who aren't familiar, pressure buffeting is the feeling and/or sound you get, particularly in your head/ears when driving with ONE window slightly cracked. It feels like a thumping sensation. This occurs with ALL WINDOWS / VENTS / MOONROOF closed and the AC on (or off).

Brought it into the dealer, they did a wheel alignment, wheel balancing, and checked tire pressure. It didn't fix anything. They they realized two tires had flat spots and ended up giving me four (4) brand new tires.

The vibration between 40-50mph has subsided SOMEWHAT, but not entirely. I had them check the entire vehicle for gaps in weather stripping/seals and also did a thorough overall inspection to which they discovered nothing.

The car has about 500 miles on it now, and I'm hoping this problem will correct itself with time. However, I figured I would post on here and see if anyone with the 2015-2016 model year experienced this issue. I've tried all three modes of drive control (sport, comfort, normal) and it makes no difference.

I've had expeditions and navigators for nearly 20 years....but have never experienced this before.

SO before I go back into the dealer and start raising hell, I figured that I would get some input first and see if I can figure out what's going on. On a side note, the sales dept has been nothing but helpful and accommodating, so I'm sure they will make it right if we can't figure out a solution.

Thank you!

No, never experienced this problem with mine. The fact that your tires had flat spots tells me that your Nav must have sat in one spot a long time. Give it a couple hundred miles of highway driving and see if the vibration goes away. Since it sat for a while, it could be that one or more of the brake calipers are sticking a little. Also, it could be that one one the rotors is out of round/unbalanced and causing the problem. And, just because they put on new tires and balanced them doesn't mean that they did it right. That could still be part of the problem.

Good luck!

biodole

No, never experienced this problem with mine. The fact that your tires had flat spots tells me that your Nav must have sat in one spot a long time. Give it a couple hundred miles of highway driving and see if the vibration goes away. Since it sat for a while, it could be that one or more of the brake calipers are sticking a little. Also, it could be that one one the rotors is out of round/unbalanced and causing the problem. And, just because they put on new tires and balanced them doesn't mean that they did it right. That could still be part of the problem.

Good luck!

Thank you for the reply. I understand the vibration part, but what about the buffeting pressure? Do you have this same issue? Is this normal for the new navigators?

No, the buffeting is not normal at lower speeds. I start getting wind noise in mine only at higher speeds (65-70) when there is a strong crosswind. Since they have already checked and adjusted the weatherstriping, you might want to check for door alignment issues (are they straight? Are they being held tightly in place when closed?) Can you tell where the buffeting is coming from? When I get noise in mine, it comes from the top rear corner of the driver's side door. You might have to get someone to ride with you in the second row so they can move around and find the problem areas.

biodole

No, the buffeting is not normal at lower speeds. I start getting wind noise in mine only at higher speeds (65-70) when there is a strong crosswind. Since they have already checked and adjusted the weatherstriping, you might want to check for door alignment issues (are they straight? Are they being held tightly in place when closed?) Can you tell where the buffeting is coming from? When I get noise in mine, it comes from the top rear corner of the driver's side door. You might have to get someone to ride with you in the second row so they can move around and find the problem areas.

I will do this. Thank you very much for your help thus far.

You are very welcome. If you can't find anything obvious to account for the buffeting, you might have to start looking for the less likely causes: missing body plugs in the floor pan, loose wiring blocks that pass through the firewall. Best of luck getting it sorted out quickly. Keep us informed of what Lincoln finds.

biodole

You are very welcome. If you can't find anything obvious to account for the buffeting, you might have to start looking for the less likely causes: missing body plugs in the floor pan, loose wiring blocks that pass through the firewall. Best of luck getting it sorted out quickly. Keep us informed of what Lincoln finds.
Absolutely. I will write down your suggestions and bring them in as well.

Thanks again, I will report back soon.

Bbaskett

N.E. Ohio
I have a 2015 Navigator L, and experience the same problem at Highway speeds. Tires, wheels all checked for balance, dealer did make an adjustment to the sunroof that helped marginally, and replaced a faulty weather strip. Luckily I'm still under factory warranty. I've just taken it back to the dealer to see if there is something else they can do. I noticed if I would drive in the slip stream of a semi-truck it would completely go away. If they find a solution, I will let you know. It's annoying as hell to me and definitely NOT something my vehicle should be doing.

I have a 2015 Navigator L, and experience the same problem at Highway speeds. Tires, wheels all checked for balance, dealer did make an adjustment to the sunroof that helped marginally, and replaced a faulty weather strip. Luckily I'm still under factory warranty. I've just taken it back to the dealer to see if there is something else they can do. I noticed if I would drive in the slip stream of a semi-truck it would completely go away. If they find a solution, I will let you know. It's annoying as hell to me and definitely NOT something my vehicle should be doing.
Hope it gets fixed. Seems to be a lot of these annoying problems with Navigators. Mine has a signs of a leak around the rear axle seals (both left and right seals). The Hankook tires that came on it reached the wear indicators at 21500 miles; just replaced them with Michelin LTX. Also seams to have troubles with the transmission. Gives a slow shift occasionally, usually 2nd to 3rd. Also, when slowing down, it never downshifts to 2nd. Stays in third until I stop then goes into first.

Administrator

Lincoln Fanatic
Staff member
Hope it gets fixed. Seems to be a lot of these annoying problems with Navigators. Mine has a signs of a leak around the rear axle seals (both left and right seals). The Hankook tires that came on it reached the wear indicators at 21500 miles; just replaced them with Michelin LTX. Also seams to have troubles with the transmission. Gives a slow shift occasionally, usually 2nd to 3rd. Also, when slowing down, it never downshifts to 2nd. Stays in third until I stop then goes into first.
These things are covered by warranty, no? That shifting issue sounds really annoying...

mark95man

Buying a brand new 2015 that's been leftover for almost three years can have issues. Do you know when it was built? Is it a one dealer vehicle or was to transferred to others? I sold off all of my old cars due to non-use. Things go bad or age just sitting there--like tires, fluids and seals. I hope that you got a great deal and warranty as they should resolve all of the problems. It might be time to call Lincoln to get someone outside of the dealership involved. One thing to remember---fluids are scheduled to be changed on a time and/or mileage basis. Yours should be ready for new anti-freeze in 2020 not 2022.

Bbaskett

N.E. Ohio
I have the same issue with my 2015 Navigator L, but with my Vehicle it occurs at highway speeds, typically from 60mph and up, increasing with speed. The vehicle shakes as if a tire were out of balance, but if you draft behind a semi-truck the buffeting/shaking completely stops. I have the tires checked, balanced, speed balanced, two different visits to the dealership, the dealership replaced a rear deck lid seal and adjusted the deck height of the sunroof which did garner some improvement, but did not resolve the issue. I contacted Lincoln Customer service and there were no service bulletins regarding this issue, and they offered no help or solution. Considering this was a $70,000 vehicle when new, I find this ridiculous and totally unacceptable.

kkriskal

I do Not have this problem with my new 19 Navigator but my previous vehicle which was a 2018 Explorer Sport had the exact same problem when I got it brand new. I somehow did Not want the dealer service department to be digging in to my vehicle and taking things apart so I never reported it to them. Then I drove from Colorado to Seattle, WA and back for a vacation and all that noise and vibrations disappeared. Normal wind noise that so many have reported but the pressure buffeting noise which was so obvious and annoying just disappeared. So I am assuming, just assuming that it was the tires that needed some wear and become even. But that is just my assumption.

HTML