Brake Issues 1994 TC

Jakeallen317

I just replaced my rear rotors and pads on my car and now I hear a grinding noise when driving. I didn't grease anything when changing the rotors and pads. Would this be causing the grinding? Or is it that I need new calipers too? Thanks

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Welcome to the Forum.

I don't think the lack of grease would cause a grinding noise, and not the caliper either. Most likely it is the brake water shield. It is easy to bend when removing a rotor. If that is the case then just bend it back away from the rotor.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Update: Bent the shields back and greased the calipers. It still starts a grinding noise after driving a little ways first
Too bad not the shields, did you look at the parking brake area. Sometimes a brake shoe lining will detach and rub the rotor in the drum area.

Jakeallen317

Too bad not the shields, did you look at the parking brake area. Sometimes a brake shoe lining will detach and rub the rotor in the drum area.
Yeah I checked there and everything looked correct. I'm thinking I just need new calipers. Maybe the pistons on these are sticking occasionally

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
If the caliper piston is sticking then it should only cause a grinding noise if the adjacent pad is worn out and the metal backing plate is rubbing (grinding) against the rotor (inside surface of rotor).

Jakeallen317

If the caliper piston is sticking then it should only cause a grinding noise if the adjacent pad is worn out and the metal backing plate is rubbing (grinding) against the rotor (inside surface of rotor).

Hmmm... Do you think the pads need to be seated? I'm not the best at changing pads and rotors. I just slapped the new ones on and started driving lol

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
The pad next to the piston has a cone shaped spring that must be inserted into the opening in the piston of the caliper and sit square to the piston. The outboard pad metal backing has little arms that lock onto the caliper outer side so the pad material faces rotor the metal is lubricated with brake grease or it will make a noise. The caliper with attached pads is then installed on the caliper mounting. Here is an article in our Tech forum for later model Town Car that may help you: Town Car Brakes maintenance I think the rear brakes on a 1994 would be the same as the later models, the fronts would be a little different.

I can get the specifics for a 1994 model if you need them.

Jakeallen317

The pad next to the piston has a cone shaped spring that must be inserted into the opening in the piston of the caliper and sit square to the piston. The outboard pad metal backing has little arms that lock onto the caliper outer side so the pad material faces rotor the metal is lubricated with brake grease or it will make a noise. The caliper with attached pads is then installed on the caliper mounting. Here is an article in our Tech forum for later model Town Car that may help you: Town Car Brakes maintenance I think the rear brakes on a 1994 would be the same as the later models, the fronts would be a little different.

I can get the specifics for a 1994 model if you need them.
Ok, I think I lubricated the wrong spot. So just to make sure, I need to grease the arms on the outside brake pad where it slides on to the caliper?

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Ok, I think I lubricated the wrong spot. So just to make sure, I need to grease the arms on the outside brake pad where it slides on to the caliper?
Yes, and the backside of that pad where the metal sits against the caliper. Also the pins that the caliper slides on need to be cleaned and lubricated. Also the stainless pieces that the pads slide on.

Good luck.

Jakeallen317

Yes, and the backside of that pad where the metal sits against the caliper. Also the pins that the caliper slides on need to be cleaned and lubricated. Also the stainless pieces that the pads slide on.

Good luck.
What are the pins the caliper slides on? Are those what you unscrew to get the caliper off?

Jakeallen317

No those little bolts screw into the pins if i remember correctly. The pins have to be removed from the caliper mount.
Ok I will check while I'm looking at it tomorrow on my day off. Thanks a lot for your help! I'll update with more info as I go along

Jakeallen317

UPDATE: I greased everything and it was still grinding or rubbing, so I replaced both rear calipers. After replacing the calipers and bleeding the brakes it still is doing it!! Could it be the shoes for the parking brake causing this? I'm at my wits end

Jakeallen317

Any idea or videos on how to change those for a 1994? I think that might be what's wrong

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

HTML