Borla cat-back exhaust for 2018-20 Lincoln Navigator

Vintage Vox

Has anyone installed the aftermarket performance Borla exhaust system on their 2018-2020 Lincoln Navigator? I am very interested in the sound it produces, before I consider replacing my factory exhaust. I love that performance exhaust sound but at the same time, do not want the "kill" the quiet sanctuary this vehicle is purported to provide.

AKentPhoto

It honestly sounds like you will be much happier with an intake than exhaust. The nice thing about louder intakes is they only make more noise when you open it up. Ie day to day driving you won't even know it's there. Only when you get on it do you hear it, and because of the turbos you get all the cool turbo noises as well.

As for exhaust, I would also consider doing a downpipe before doing a catback. You will get more turbo noises, the turbos will spool faster and the power gains will be greater than a cat back.

Vintage Vox

Hi AkentPhoto
thanks for your comment. That's an awesome vehicle you've got!!
does any of these changes cause the engine light to go on or the highly sensitive computerized engine management system to detect fault?
Borla claims it does not, particularly their cat-back exhaust system. But what if the exhaust air is not supposed to flow that quickly and that the factory exhaust was designed to do just that on the Lincoln. And a change will trigger a fault in the on-board diagnostic computer?
Finally, what intakes do you put on to make it louder?
Thanks

bbf2530

Hi AkentPhoto
thanks for your comment. That's an awesome vehicle you've got!!
does any of these changes cause the engine light to go on or the highly sensitive computerized engine management system to detect fault?
Borla claims it does not, particularly their cat-back exhaust system. But what if the exhaust air is not supposed to flow that quickly and that the factory exhaust was designed to do just that on the Lincoln. And a change will trigger a fault in the on-board diagnostic computer?
Finally, what intakes do you put on to make it louder?
Thanks

Hi Vintage Vox. A quality catback exhaust, like Borla, will not cause issues.

It also will not actually increase exhaust flow, since the choke point in the exhaust flow is the catalytic converters before the exhaust, not the exhaust system itself (pipes, resonators, mufflers). Our cars actually have a very high quality, free flowing exhaust system. It's not like the old days.

If you decide to change the exhaust and install an aftermarket catback system, do it for sound, since it will give no performance improvement.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

AKentPhoto

@Vintage Vox
You should not get any CELs for difference in flow. The things that cause CELs are generally emissions based. If you go with a downpipe and race catalytic converter that isn't big enough or get rid of the cat all together that will definitely throw a CEL. Most downpipes will specify sport or race cat. Sport cats are generally 200 Cell or greater. OEM is usually 400 cell. Each vehicle is different in how picky it wants to be, but if you want to be on the safe side 300cell+ is the way to go. You can override emissions CELs but it requires a tune. However I wouldn't go that route til you are getting close to the end of your warranty. I HIGHLY recommend you do when that time comes though. Especially if you have the intake and downpipe already installed. It will feel like a completely different truck.

There are a slew of intakes out there... I have not been able to find a ton of info/sound clips of them however. Plenty of installs or here is my exhaust, intake and tune video... Not much on intakes specifically. When I get one I will be sure and make a video. If you want a clue as to what turbos sound like here is a quick video I made of my Audi. Keep in mind this is an I4 single turbo and the mic is INside the airbox so much louder than in the cab. This is just a basic idea of what turbos sound like when you get on it... If you roll your windows down and listen closely you can hear them on the Navi.