• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Blend Door Actuator Problems

Hey Everyone, I'm new to the forum. This is my first Town Car but I think I am in love. Am almost 7 ft tall and well over 300lbs and gosh does this car speak to me, it is so comfy!

I have been chasing down my A/C woes on my 2009 TC and I've deduced it down to my blend door actuator and or control module, I would probably just replace both as the parts are inexpensive.

From searching online, the actuator looks like a nightmare to get to and involves removing basically the whole dash and glove box.

I am debating whether to buy the service manual and try the repair myself. I've got a mechanic buddy that can help but this is still a beast of a job. Is there anyone on here that has done this repair on a similar model/year that can provide some advice or guidance, even if that guidance is "don't do it" I will take it :)

Here is what I've done thus far:

-A/C system fully serviced and inspected, compressor etc. checks out fine.
-Radiator inspected, cap replaced. Checks out fine.
-Replaced radiator cooling fan (car was overheating with A/C on at idle, fan was not turning on when it should have been)
-Replaced thermostat

Symptoms I'm experiencing after all the work listed above:

-A/C does not blow cold out of drivers side consistently, in fact, sometimes when it is hot out, the vent will blow blazing hot air out of the vents for roughly a minute before it switches to colder air, I say colder and not cool because it never hits that frigid temp it should.

-When driving around, my A/C temp fluctuates dramatically, parked idle it takes a while but will eventually blow out icy cold.

-When I press the control button for the air, it does not immediately respond, the blows really strong from the bottom passenger vent and after a period of time the airflow will switch to whichever button was pressed. This can take a while to switch sometimes.

-The climate control does not appear to work, in the winter, I would have to put the heat all the way up to max before it would kick out hot air sometimes.

-Air does not blow as hard out of driver vents.

dredso3

You would not have to take the whole dash apart. I think their are about four actuators in that model, two of which go bad on a normal basis.

Once you OBD II scan the car (FORCSAN or a bi-directional scanner), it will tell you exactly which actuator is failing. Then just purchase a small, less than 6" ratcheting wrench, and search YouTube to find out how others were able to locate the actuators in their Town cars. There are many videos on this topic.

Cheers.

You would not have to take the whole dash apart. I think their are about four actuators in that model, two of which go bad on a normal basis.

Once you OBD II scan the car (FORCSAN or a bi-directional scanner), it will tell you exactly which actuator is failing. Then just purchase a small, less than 6" ratcheting wrench, and search YouTube to find out how others were able to locate the actuators in their Town cars. There are many videos on this topic.

Cheers.
Appreciate the response man. I dug pretty deep into YouTube and I couldn't find, but I will dig some more that's for sure 👍🏼

Here's a link to the procedure to run the EATC self test which should help to pinpoint any bad actuators.
If it's the Floor Door Mode Actuator or the Defrost/Panel Door Mode Actuator you will have to remove the dash. It's best to replace both if you have to replace one.
The other actuators can be replaced without removing the dash.

jkeaton

Winston Salem, NC
Here's a link to the procedure to run the EATC self test which should help to pinpoint any bad actuators.
If it's the Floor Door Mode Actuator or the Defrost/Panel Door Mode Actuator you will have to remove the dash. It's best to replace both if you have to replace one.
The other actuators can be replaced without removing the dash.
Where is the link?

Where is the link?
Oops, here it is.

Thanks so much for pointing me in the correct direction.

After following the guidance in the thread linked by alumarine, I was able to diagnose my actuator issue.

The codes I received were

2266 - Driver's side actuator
2267 - Passenger side actuator
1264 - Floor actuator

The floor actuator requires the dash to be removed so I won't be swapping that one out. I figure if I replace the passenger and driver side actuators I should be good.

Can you access the driver side blend door if you pull the radio out? Way to old to crawl under and upside down under the dash. Thanks
I cannot confirm if the driver side actuator can be accessed through the radio slot. I feel your pain buddy, as I stated in the original post, I am a very large man and getting under the steering wheel is probably going to be hard for me, I'll probably have the wifey help :)

Attached is the service manual that describes how to swap the passenger and driver actuators in case you need it.

Attachments

Update! I successfully swapped out my passenger and driver side actuators. No longer get an error code when I run the HVAC diagnostic. Life is good, well mostly, I still have a faulty floor actuator but ripping the dash apart is not something I am willing to do right now. I also have to come to terms with the fact that the A/C in my car just isn't going to blow as cold as my 2012 Toyota. And if these cars sit in the hot sun for a long time, they just get hot, and they hold that heat lol. Lucky for me I live in western Oregon and we only get a few really hot days.

As far as difficulty of the repair:

• The passenger side was a cake walk. Pull glove box down and actuator is right there.

• Drivers side was a little difficult for me but isn't incredible hard if you know what you are doing and are a lot smaller than me. My biggest struggle with this one is just that I am 6'11 and a big guy, tough to get myself under the steering wheel.

• It did not appear you could get to this through the radio hole as someone asked.

• The electrical connectors to the lighting control module that must be removed in order to get to the actuator can be tough to find the release point, but rest assured they do have release points, keep feeling until you find em'.

•The actuator is REALLY tucked in there, not too bad to pull out but putting the new one is was difficult.

HTML