best ways to increase performance on my 2013 MKS 3.7 awd

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

ss1207

would putting a performance chip or k&n throttle body help with HP and performance? any other ideas?

car drives great just looking at make her a little more responsive

jkeaton

Winston Salem, NC
"Performance chips", like sold on ebay are snake oil, a waste of money. Mostly a resister that tricks the computer into thinking the intake temperature is colder than actual and richens the fuel mixture, for a time, then the computer compensates, so you are back to square one. Avoid any "chip". An actual tuner (if available for your engine) is the only way to go as far as any type of computer reprogramming for additional HP. A bored TB will give you a bit more throttle response, but not much else. Same with "cold air intakes". Modern engines are maximized from the factory. Any "bolt on" modifications will have minimal effect.

orest

A K&N filter would help with available engine air flow.

Jaskim06

"Performance chips", like sold on ebay are snake oil, a waste of money. Mostly a resister that tricks the computer into thinking the intake temperature is colder than actual and richens the fuel mixture, for a time, then the computer compensates, so you are back to square one. Avoid any "chip". An actual tuner (if available for your engine) is the only way to go as far as any type of computer reprogramming for additional HP. A bored TB will give you a bit more throttle response, but not much else. Same with "cold air intakes". Modern engines are maximized from the factory. Any "bolt on" modifications will have minimal effect.
jkeaton knows what's up. So many ppl waste so much on this crap and think a $50 chip or 300 cold air is better. It's not and it's a waste. Some cars won't run well when fooling with the maf components. You could look into mustang go fast goodies. I believe they ran same engine. 3.5, 3.7 very similar as far as bolt on stuff.

Jaskim06

A K&N filter would help with available engine air flow.
Save that money for something good and just cut the bottom of air box out. That's a lil trick we used all the time. On a TC the air gets sucked through a air horn about as big as a Tylenol bottle. Not much air at all especially for V8. I dont remember how they look off hand as I work on cars so I see alot of boxes daily but just remove box from car and cut off bottom. I did that to both my TCs and it breathes so much better. Engine I just a big air pump. Easier and colder you get air in and out is more efficient. Mine now has filter level with bottom of box thats left. Sounds better too. Just my opinion. Older cars do well for cold air but as jkeaton said they're pretty much good as can be from factory now days.