Best Lincoln MKT Roof Rack for MKTs with Panorama / Panoramic Sunroof Review

ChrisW

Posting this because I had to look long and hard for a factory style, clean roof rack for my MKT, because shockingly Lincoln does not have any sort of factory roof rack system for the MKTs. Which is crazy since these things are meant to be people movers and are great for long trips. This seems to be the only roof rack, and the best roof rack available, that installs cleanly and directly to the roof of the Lincoln MKTs and other Ford/Lincolns with the panoramic sunroofs. All of the racks for the MKT that come up when you search, are the old fashioned style that has to clamp inside your door, and your doors close against that part of the clamp. That's the way racks worked 20 years ago, and looks terrible, makes a ton of wind noise, etc. My local "RackNRoad" suggested and installed a "Whispbar" rack with their "SmartFoot" fitting kit. The reason that works is because there is a very small (mat 1" wide x 2" long) black rectangular mount piece that attached directly to the roof, and the rack attaches to that. The mount piece is thin enough that it actually fits outside of the panoramic sunroof on the thin part of the top of the roof that is steel and not glass. A good rack shop just rivets those on for a super sturdy permanent, factory style mount, and the racks screw onto that with a piece that has a handle on it, so they are easy to take on and off. We leave ours on all the time for surfboards etc. But I took them off once just to check it out, and it was easy, and the 4 mount pieces are tiny and super thin, and unnoticeable / look like they are part of the car, which is good. The Whispbar racks themselves are very sturdy, look great, and super quiet- some fancy aerospace design that are supposed to be "whisper quiet" / the quietest racks available. They are really quiet, but I have no idea if they are actually the world champion quietest... They do need to be professionally installed as the mounts are permanently connected to your roof factory style, so that was something like $150. I was tempted to try it myslef, but given all that glass up there and the cost of the car in general, I figured I should make sure it's done right. FYI the shop told me Yakima bought Whispbar, but they still seem to have their own website, so who knows. I couldn't figure out how to post pics of mine on here. There was an option to post pics from a URL, so I tried that, but can't tell if it worked. If it did, one of the pics shows the rack, and the other the tiny black pieces that mount to your car. Their website is: www.whispbar.com Anyway, hope this helps someone with the same problem!

George48051

Posting this because I had to look long and hard for a factory style, clean roof rack for my MKT, because shockingly Lincoln does not have any sort of factory roof rack system for the MKTs. Which is crazy since these things are meant to be people movers and are great for long trips. This seems to be the only roof rack, and the best roof rack available, that installs cleanly and directly to the roof of the Lincoln MKTs and other Ford/Lincolns with the panoramic sunroofs. All of the racks for the MKT that come up when you search, are the old fashioned style that has to clamp inside your door, and your doors close against that part of the clamp. That's the way racks worked 20 years ago, and looks terrible, makes a ton of wind noise, etc. My local "RackNRoad" suggested and installed a "Whispbar" rack with their "SmartFoot" fitting kit. The reason that works is because there is a very small (mat 1" wide x 2" long) black rectangular mount piece that attached directly to the roof, and the rack attaches to that. The mount piece is thin enough that it actually fits outside of the panoramic sunroof on the thin part of the top of the roof that is steel and not glass. A good rack shop just rivets those on for a super sturdy permanent, factory style mount, and the racks screw onto that with a piece that has a handle on it, so they are easy to take on and off. We leave ours on all the time for surfboards etc. But I took them off once just to check it out, and it was easy, and the 4 mount pieces are tiny and super thin, and unnoticeable / look like they are part of the car, which is good. The Whispbar racks themselves are very sturdy, look great, and super quiet- some fancy aerospace design that are supposed to be "whisper quiet" / the quietest racks available. They are really quiet, but I have no idea if they are actually the world champion quietest... They do need to be professionally installed as the mounts are permanently connected to your roof factory style, so that was something like $150. I was tempted to try it myslef, but given all that glass up there and the cost of the car in general, I figured I should make sure it's done right. FYI the shop told me Yakima bought Whispbar, but they still seem to have their own website, so who knows. I couldn't figure out how to post pics of mine on here. There was an option to post pics from a URL, so I tried that, but can't tell if it worked. If it did, one of the pics shows the rack, and the other the tiny black pieces that mount to your car. Their website is: www.whispbar.com Anyway, hope this helps someone with the same problem!
Could not find them for the MKT?

Sagar810

Can you post some pictures of the post install. This would really good for dirty skies after ski sessions. I avoid taking the MKT as I have to fold all the seats and put a plastic sheet when I have to transport dirty skis.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

HTML