Battery Light comes on then turns off after 10 minutes of driving

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

nateb.4289

I have a 2012 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost. My battery light came on last week. Then my car wouldn't start, so I went and bought a new battery. I usually leave my car parked for maybe 10 hours at a time cause I'm in a company truck. Anyways the light still comes on when I start the car. I have no trouble starting the car, I drive maybe 6 miles or so then the battery light turns off. What am I dealing with here. I try to make it to AutoZone before the battery light turns off. They said they can't test the battery to find an issue if the light isn't on.

Last edited:

nateb.4289

I have a 2012 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost. My battery light came on last week. Then my car wouldn't start, so I went and bought a new battery. I usually leave my car parked for maybe 10 hours at a time cause I'm in a company truck. Anyways the light still comes on when I start the car. I have no trouble starting the car, I drive maybe 6 miles or so then the battery light turns off. What am I dealing with here, I try to make it to AutoZone before the battery light turns off. They said they can't find an issue if the light isn't on.

Rongold

They're right. They can't diagnose a problem that's not there. More than likely, your alternator is starting to fail. You have to get it checked while the light is on. Do you have access to a volt meter ??? If you do. measure the voltage at the battery terminals while the engine is running & the light is on---It should be at least 13.8 or as high as 15 volts. If it's higher or lower, then something is going on with your alternator and it will need to be replaced. Do you have access to a code reader ?? You might be able to do some diagnosing with that too. An under or over charging alternator should set a code, possibly without lighting up the check engine light.

RON

Last edited:

nateb.4289

They're right. They can't diagnose a problem that's not there. More than likely, your alternator is starting to fail. You have to get it checked while the light is on. Do you have access to a volt meter ??? If you do. measure the voltage at the battery terminals while the engine is running & the light is on---It should be at least 13.8 or as high as 15 volts. If it's higher or lower, then something is going on with your alternator and it will need to be replaced.

Do you have access to a code reader ?? You might be able to do some diagnosing with that too. An under or over charging alternator should set a code, possibly without lighting up the check engine light.

RON
Thank you sir. Will look into it.

Rongold

Did you reset the Battery Monitor System
I never heard of the Battery monitor system. How do you reset it ??? I have the shop manuals for 13-16 MKS's and there's no mention of a Battery monitor system in any of them---Unless you're talking about resetting the PCM and other modules by disconnecting the battery.

CARR142

CHERRY HILL, NJ
I never heard of the Battery monitor system. How do you reset it ??? I have the shop manuals for 13-16 MKS's and there's no mention of a Battery monitor system in any of them---Unless you're talking about resetting the PCM and other modules by disconnecting the battery.