Backup Camera Install

Thread starter #1
More Weight Reduction

Comes to my attention that SE tailights are at least half the weight if not more of the stock chrome plated housings. This in mind most of the SE non chromeplated parts are probably also lesser in weight. :chin:

Anyone know the curb weight of a stock se and non se? 1990 preferred

Every little bit counts.

More Weight Reduction

They should have switched to plastic housing at the same time for all cars. It\'s ludicrous to have to identical parts follow two different manufacturing processes concurrently.

Around \'87 or \'88, they started making the interior trim bits out of plastic instead of metal. My A pillar trim pieces and the like have a metal backing. The ones in later junkyard cars I have seen are plastic. With all attempted weight reduction, you must look at the net gain. Even if the difference is a pound each, the percentage of the overall car is minimal. Go for the big stuff first and then work to the little stuff. On a stock car, the heavy things I see are the engine, heads, tranny, driveshaft, battery, seats, exhaust, sound insulation, bumpers, hood, trunk, and a/c. The stereo can probably shave a few pounds too. The basic car is just heavy with all steel construction and you\'re probably not going to see much lighter than 3200 or 3300 lbs unless you start throwing serious cash at it. An aluminum block and heads will probably be a good weight loss, especially over the nose.

Thread starter #4

re-Markable LSC

More Weight Reduction

Tubular K-member and A arms are supposed to lighten up the front by as much as 80 lbs and that doesn\'t include the weight savings from eliminating the factory air ride! A reduction of 50-60 lbs from aluminum heads, I believe 800 lbs for the AOD to T5 swap with an aluminum driveshaft. Move the battery to the back for better weight distribution. Change motor mounts while you are doing that and you could lower and relocate the center of gravity of the car. Do some nice leather racing seats for the price of re-upholsering the old ones. Oh, and I forgot to mention, do all that to a NON-SUNROOF car! I think any 400hp would have no trouble moving that and beating vettes, camaroes, el caminoes, chargers, challengers....all those fags.

Thread starter #5

DrDragon

More Weight Reduction

FWIW, I weighed my aluminum block and a stock 302 block and I was surprised that the aluminum block is only 50 lbs lighter. If you look at them side by side you can see why. The 4 bolt main caps are huge. There is also extra casting everywhere throughout the block. I didn\'t wheigh the heads though, figured enough guys have done that already.
I\'ll see if I can wheigh the whole shebang when it\'s done and see what the diff is to stock.

Thread starter #7

NYC LS8

More Weight Reduction

[quote name=\'re-Markable LSC\']...I believe 800 lbs for the AOD to T5 swap with an aluminum driveshaft...[/QUOTE]

EIGHT HUNDRED POUNDS? I sure as hell didn\'t see that. A coupla hundred at most.

Thread starter #8

re-Markable LSC

More Weight Reduction

That is a fact [COLOR=\"Red\"]800 pounds![/COLOR]

Thread starter #10

NYC LS8

More Weight Reduction

[quote name=\'re-Markable LSC\']That is a fact [COLOR=\"Red\"]800 pounds![/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Leave the guy in my avatar out of this!

Thread starter #11

WhiteLightninLSC

More Weight Reduction

[quote name=\'NYC LSC\']EIGHT HUNDRED POUNDS? I sure as hell didn\'t see that. A coupla hundred at most.[/QUOTE]
I don\'t even think the AOD weighs too much more than a hundred pounds. :dunno:

Thread starter #12

re-Markable LSC

More Weight Reduction

[quote name=\'re-Markable LSC\']I meant 80-100. [/QUOTE]
Just for the record...again.

Thread starter #14
More Weight Reduction

Yea the aod is about twice the weight of the five speed. I\'ve done most of the other stuff except for kmembers...i cannot get over how much lighter the SE taillights are, seriously.

Thread starter #16
More Weight Reduction

Sorry doc, did some spring cleaning.

Thread starter #17

WhiteLightninLSC

More Weight Reduction

[quote name=\'re-Markable LSC\']Just for the record...again.[/QUOTE]
[COLOR=\"Red\"]800 pounds![/COLOR]

:p

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

HTML