AWD not working

mkshoosier

Hi all, I have a 2014 MKS with awd. Seems like the awd isnt working. It drives like a RWD vehicle . I never noticed it before, but, we've had a ton of snow recently. The car has around 55k on it and I have the CPO warranty to 100k.
Anyone experience this before?
Thanks

bbf2530

Hi all, I have a 2014 MKS with awd. Seems like the awd isnt working. It drives like a RWD vehicle . I never noticed it before, but, we've had a ton of snow recently. The car has around 55k on it and I have the CPO warranty to 100k.
Anyone experience this before?
Thanks
Hi mkshoosier. Can you be more specifc as to what makes you think the front wheels are not being driven? Can you have a friend watch as you accelerate in the snow to see if all 4 wheels are being driven?

The MKS is a FWD based vehicle, with AWD capability. Basically through a fluid/friction system. While it could be that the FWD is working but the AWD would not (PTU failure etc.), it would be unlikely that only the rear wheels are working without the front. It could not operate that way for very long, if at all.

A blind Internet diagnosis would lead one to believe that it is more likely that your tires are worn and need to be replaced. And possibly that your front tires are much more worn than your rear tires. Therefore, you are slipping all over the place. But again, that is a blind Internet diagnosis, which is just as likely to be wrong as right.

Check your tires and have a friend watch your wheels as you accelerate in the snow. If it is not the tires, then your best course of action would be to bring the car in for service, since you have a CPO warranty still in force, .

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Last edited:

mkshoosier

Hi mkshoosier. Can you be more specifc as to what makes you think the front wheels are not being driven? Can you have a friend watch as you accelerate in the snow to see if all 4 wheels are being driven?

The MKS is a FWD based vehicle, with AWD capability. Basically through a fluid/friction system. While it could be that the FWD is working but the AWD would not (PTU failure etc.), it would be unlikely that only the rear wheels are working without the front. It could not operate that way for very long, if at all.

A blind Internet diagnosis would lead one to believe that it is more likely that your tires are worn and need to be replaced. And possibly that your front tires are much more worn than your rear tires. Therefore, you are slipping all over the place. But again, that is a blind Internet diagnosis, which is just as likely to be wrong as right.

Check your tires and have a friend watch your wheels as you accelerate in the snow. If it is not the tires, then your best course of action would be to bring the car in for service, since you have a CPO warranty still in force, .

Let us know how you make out and good luck.
Thanks for the quick response. The best example I can offer is this: recently when making a left turn thru an intersection w light snow on the road the right rear wheel lost traction during the turn (mimicking an rwd vehicle) requiring me to countersteer to keep rear end from sliding into the right line. This is not the first time this has happened.
I was NOT traveling at a high rate of speed as everyone on the road was driving safely and cautiously. The tires on vehicle are all season BFgoodrich with under 20k miles.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

HTML