Aviator Problems, buyer beware

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

chucks42

I currently own a 2020 Lincoln Aviator Black Label. I am writing this because of the significant ongoing issues with both the quality of the car, quality of the Lincoln service, and the responsiveness of the brand to these ongoing issues. I also own a Lincoln Navigator reserve which I am currently leasing. The ongoing problems with both the quality of the service and the car are described as below:

The vehicle was purchased on May 18, 2020 from a certified Lincoln dealership. Before I could even drive the vehicle from the lot, I was informed that the vehicle had issues with the motorized third row seat, and that this problem needed to be fixed. I was unaware of this problem before purchasing the vehicle, and this was not disclosed to me until after the vehicle was purchased. The vehicle remained in the shop until June 2, 2020 (15 calendar days) until repairs could be completed. There were significant issues with communication from the dealership during this time. I called multiple times asking about update for this vehicle and never received a call back. I eventually had to go to the dealership in person to get any information about this vehicle. I have learned after further research that this seat problem was likely related to a known problem of the vehicles which is actually a safety hazard for anybody sitting in the third row.

We again had problems when the vehicle started to make a loud humming noise when changing lanes that was coming from the passenger front tire. I took the Aviator to the dealership, and this was found to be an issue with the passenger front wheel ball bearings. This is a significant safety and functional problem that is very unusual in a car with only 2900 miles at the time. The car spent a further 9 to 10 calendar days in the shop in September 2020 during this event. With this problem, I was not initially offered a loaner car, nor was I initially given any estimate about how long it would take to repair the car (despite owning a black label). I had to contact the Black Label concierge who were able to get the dealer to provide a loaner car several days after I initially brought the car in for repair.

In June 2021, my car had issues with the drive control malfunctioning and an air suspension fault (caused by a failure of the passenger front air suspension again in the passenger front area). I eventually was able to get the car into the dealership for repairs. Despite several attempts to get someone in the service department on the phone, I could never talk with anybody. I left several messages and was never called back. My wife did talk to someone the first day we called, but she was informed that they could not repair the car for over a month, and they did not offer any loaner car or other suggestions. I called the Lincoln Black Label concierge the day after we initially called because we are not having any success at being able to take the car for repair, which could not be driven. There was air leaking out of the air suspension on the passenger front side, and the warnings recommended not driving the car over 30 mph. Fortunately the Black Label concierge was able to get the dealer on the phone and get my car in for service. This repair took 6 days to complete, but this did not fix the problem.

Less than a week later, the car had the same issue with right front air suspension. The Aviator was completely nonfunctioning, and the car was dragging on the ground on the passenger front side. I again could not get anybody in the service department on the phone and could not schedule anything. I tried to use the Black Label concierge to help again this time, but they could not get anybody on the phone. I eventually just showed up because my car had to be towed to the dealership. This took around 14 days to complete or more. At this point, I asked for the car to be repurchased given the ongoing, and multiple problems involving the passenger front wheel area of this car. I was denied this request.

On November 5, 2021, the right passenger wheel area started to make a noise again. I took this into the dealership as I had just been there for a routine service. This is determined to be a issue with a strut that had gone bad in the right passenger front. This was replaced. Fortunately the dealership was more accommodating than they had been previously as a service person for Lincoln has significantly improved. Unfortunately, the day I got my car back on November 19, 2021, I had another fault with the air suspension, and the car dropped to the ground and warned not to drive over 30mph. I took the car back on November 20th, 2021 to the dealership. The car remains in the dealership at this time with no estimated time of this being fixed.

As the car has been in the dealership for repairs now multiple times all involving the right passenger side of the care all-encompassing about 80 days in repair,and now going on 6 weeks with this current issue, I asked again for a buy back of this car. I again have been denied this request despite the Lincoln concierge telling me that they believe my car should be brought back. I should note that the dealership only reported that my car has been in service since November 24 for some reason. Lincoln informed me of this and does not believe me despite me providing text between myself in the dealership.

I should also mention that there are ongoing issues with the "phone as a key" not working like of key as promised, the issues with scheduling appointments through the app which is nonfunctional, and the lack of "effortless ownership" for the black label line

Given the lack of support from the Ford/Lincoln brand, this will be the last time that I own a car from them.

MrEdog

You were sold a lemon. Why havent they realized that now? even after reading all that, with a brand new car, cmon its obvious. I feel like you have a path forward legally here, but may require a Lawyer. Honestly you should at least be able to go in and trade for another, as most people can tell this is a lemon. Hey, these things happen. Im still not sure why the car companies want to close their eyes and pretend like they never make mistakes, but it happens.

peterk9

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Welcome to the Forum chucks42.
wavey.gif

Have you looked into your state's Lemon Law procedure? Sounds like it should easily qualify. I'm not aware of any issues as related to the 3rd-row seats. As for loaners, my dealership provides them to any customer when necessary, regardless of the vehicle brand they own.

Peter

Norms1stTC

Make sure you keep all your paperwork and call a lemon law lawyer now if the dealer isn't willing to buy back , get rid of that thing as soon as possible.

bbf2530

Hi chucks42. Unfortunately, you got a lemon. It happens with all makes and models of vehicles. More unfortunately, it seems you have an uncooperative and perhaps incompetent Dealership.

You should start by taking out the Warranty Guide you were given when you purchased your Aviator. In the Warranty Guide are listed all the rights you have as a buyer. This includes how to go about using both the BBB AutoLine Buyback Process and the Lemon Law process.
The BBB AutoLine Buyback Process is a no-cost conflict resolution process that is non-binding on the buyer, but binding on the automaker. So if you do not like the decision, you can ignore it and proceed with a Lemon Law or court resolution. But if you do like the decision, the automaker must abide by it.

You should also research the Lemon Law Buyback Process in your particular state.

In most cases, you can avoid the costs of a lawyer if you familiarize yourself with your buyers rights as listed above.

Since it seems you can't count on your working Dealership to help you, you need to find another Lincoln Dealership and/or work through Lincoln Concierge.
But start by learning your rights as a buyer, so that you yourself know what you need to do.

EDIT- If you do not have or can not find your Warranty Guide, you can download the PDF version here: https://www.fleet.ford.com/parts-service/resources/owner-manuals/

Let us know how you make out and good luck.

Last edited:

rjabend

These kinds of issues are not at all uncommon for Aviators. The air suspension has never worked properly on my BL either although it has never completely failed. Don't know if I would write this one off and would like to hear more from the op as things progress.

bbf2530

Hi gang. My philosophy in life, in person and on the Internet, is to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, until they demonstrate they don't deserve the benefit of the doubt anymore. So I simply provide information that may be of help, then let it be. ;)

Happy Holidays everyone! 🎄🎅

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Burr Ridge, IL
Hi gang. My philosophy in life, in person and on the Internet, is to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, until they demonstrate they don't deserve the benefit of the doubt anymore. So I simply provide information that may be of help, then let it be. ;)

Happy Holidays everyone! 🎄🎅
I'm not as nice as you are. I'm okay with that.

There was a thread recently where someone did this and I called her out. She almost immediately started replying. I apologized and said it was great to have her engaging. If this poster does the same, I will do the same.

bbf2530

I'm not as nice as you are. I'm okay with that.

There was a thread recently where someone did this and I called her out. She almost immediately started replying. I apologized and said it was great to have her engaging. If this poster does the same, I will do the same.

Hi BL. Just to clarify...My reply was not intended for anyone who had responded/replied here (which was why I did not quote anyone). ;)

Only throwing my philosophy out there, for the heck of it, since I had replied earlier.

Good luck my friend. 🤗