av8r

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

KY Jim

Off-brand, need help

Alternator went down on old Dodge. Someone has installed a GM alternator on it(no WONDER it went down!) so I got a new one , one wire alternator. The wire goes to a relay box on fender, then to battery. What is correct destination for alt. wire? Is it supposed to go to the hot terminal on the battery? Also, do one wire alternators have a built in regulator? It doesn\'t seem to be charging. Any help much appreciated, NEED this truck to drive in snow.
KY Jim

classic79

Off-brand, need help

one wire should go directly to the battery terminal. going to a relay first don\'t make sense unless its been hacked together.

also just rembered on my dakota there is a hot bat. terminal in the relay box. they might have feed it there which would be the same as hooking directly to the battery I guess.

and the one wire alt is internally regulated, you have to rev up the motor first when starting it to spin the alternator up to activate or excite it and make it start charging. otherwise it will just sit there spinning not charging.

KY Jim

Off-brand, need help

Thanks much. Oh YEAH, it\'s been hacked. GM to Dodge? And it\'s about to get WORSE.
KY Jim