• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Automatic Un-Lock

Molon Labe

I've found some posts on this subject but not anything that has corrected my problem. Like others, I find it a PITA that all the doors on my TC will automatically lock but they won't automatically un-lock. I've found these instructions for turning the door lock options on and off:

1. Turn the ignition to the 3 (ON) position.
2. Press the power door unlock control on the door panel three times.
3. Turn the ignition from the 3 (ON) to the 1 (OFF/LOCK) position.
4. Press the power door unlock control three times.
5. Turn the ignition back to the 3 (ON) position.
6. The door locks will lock/unlock to confirm programming mode is entered/active.
7. With the ignition still in the 3 (ON) position:
- for the autolock feature, press the unlock control once then press the lock control once. The horn will chirp once to confirm successful programming.
- for the auto-unlock feature, press the lock control once, then press the unlock control once. The horn will chirp twice to confirm successful programming.
8. After having waited the necessary time for the programming to confirm, turn the ignition to the 1 (OFF/LOCK) position.

This works for the automatic lock feature but the horn will only beep once when attempting to activate the automatic un-lock feature and it does not engage. I love the car but, man, am I sick of walking around the car to open a door that's still locked only to have to go back to the driver's door and un-lock everything manually.

RIBoater

I don't understand automatic unlock? There is a master unlock on the door panel that will unlock all before you get out. Or you can hit the unlock on your keyfob twice to unlock all. I have Forscan and the only thing I've done so far is turn the DRL on.

dave42

Leander, TX C.K.U.
I've never heard of automatic unlock either. What year is your car? On my '03, a similar but not exactly the same procedure is used to enable or disable autolock, but that's all.

Molon Labe

Here's a post from another member that is fighting the same issue:

"Your 2006 may have the Auto-unlock disabled, or you are not using the driver's door handle to activate the Auto-unlock. The Autolock and Auto-unlock are separate features. Ford have this note however: Note: The vehicle doors will not auto-unlock if the vehicle has been electronically locked prior to the driver door being opened.

Here is the programming procedure you want from the 2006 Owners Manual:

"Deactivating/activating the autolock or auto-unlock feature
Autolocking and auto-unlocking are independent features; either feature may be enabled or disabled without affecting the other. You must complete Steps 1-7 within 30 seconds or the procedure will have to be repeated. If the procedure needs to be repeated, you must wait at least 30 seconds. Note: Before following the procedure, make sure that the ignition is in the 1 (OFF/LOCK) position and all vehicle doors, the hood, and the decklid are closed.

1. Turn the ignition to the 3 (ON) position.
2. Press the power door unlock control on the door panel three times.
3. Turn the ignition from the 3 (ON) to the 1 (OFF/LOCK) position.
4. Press the power door unlock control three times.
5. Turn the ignition back to the 3 (ON) position.
6. The door locks will lock/unlock to confirm programming mode is entered/active.
7. With the ignition still in the 3 (ON) position:
- for the autolock feature, press the unlock control once then press the lock control once. The horn will chirp once to confirm successful programming.
- for the auto-unlock feature, press the lock control once, then press the unlock control once. The horn will chirp twice to confirm successful programming.
8. After having waited the necessary time for the programming to confirm, turn the ignition to the 1 (OFF/LOCK) position."

I've read other posts from owners of an '06 and an '07 stating their un-lock feature works - mine is an '05. I've owned plenty of Ford products that have all unlocked the doors when the driver's door is opened. There must be a way to activate this on the TC.

Molon Labe

I'm thinking my problem isn't actuators because it isn't getting the two beep confirmation during the programming procedure so it's not getting the proper "instructions" to un-lock.

Molon Labe

I'm thinking my problem isn't actuators because it isn't getting the two beep confirmation during the programming procedure so it's not getting the proper "instructions" to un-lock.
If any TC owner has doors that un-lock automatically when they put the car in park or open the driver's door I'd like to hear from you and let me know what year your car is. I'm still not certain that the TC is supposed to have this feature.

I downloaded the electronic version of the 2005 owners manual. Autounlock is not in there. So, it probably wasn't available.

If you wanted it that badly on your 2005, I think you might be able to either "re-flash" your computer(s) with the 2007 software or install the 2007 computer(s) to get it working. The only thing your car (or my 2001) don't have to get autounlock is the actual logic in the computer. The car can already "sense" the triggers to autounlock, if the computer "knew" how to do it.

Good luck.

bmarler

i just turn off auto lock. i hate that feature anyway and turn it off on all my cars. i think i can decide when i want the doors locked all by myself.

HTML