Automatic High Beam Control Fun Fix.

Jeyaar456

If you are less than enthralled with its effectiveness here's a little experiment that does work to some extent.
WARNING. do not try this with models fitted with Lane Keep Assist, this is only for models with the Auto High Beam only.

With winter round the corner and dark night ahead are you fed up of being flashed by irate drivers as the system takes two seconds to dip and the systems inability to dip in urban areas with streetlights I tried to experiment by fooling the system by covering the sensor with transparent coloured film or glass

After much experiment I find that dark red works best

Remove the two plastic covers at the rear mirror to gain access to the sensor, and cover the sensor window with red film.
[ in the UK we have a brand of chocolates that come with little squares of coloured cellophane wrappers, this is ideal ]

It works OK, dips with streetlights [ even the sodium ones ] only downside is now the system dips
when it sees road signs that reflect the headlight glare.

I've yet to see if it dips due to the receding taillights of a car in front.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
I have HID headlamps and the headlamp automatic dipping feature works perfectly on my car. It is fast and works on tail lights and oncoming headlights. It is much faster that manually switching to low beam. There is a minimum speed of 51 kph (32 mph) for the system to begin to operate and the lamp switch must be in Auto-Lamps mode. If the vehicle speed drops below 43 kph (27 mph) the system switches off as it does for bright street lamps to prevent high beam selection to avoid blinding oncoming vehicles. Lower brightness street lamps do not affect selection of high beam. When the light level at dusk is low enough for auto-lamps to switch on the high beams do not switch on until light levels are quite dark.

Perhaps your sensor camera in the upper part of windshield center is not working correctly?

Jeyaar456

Nope, I just replaced the sensor last week, the new one is equally bad at dipping at distant oncoming cars with dipped halogens or even dipped HID's , it works fine with LED equipped cars.

It might be, being a LHD car that the system is designed for cars coming towards it on the left of the sensor, where here in the UK oncoming traffic will be to the right of the sensor, but it seems the sensor has a wide frontal range .

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Nope, I just replaced the sensor last week, the new one is equally bad at dipping at distant oncoming cars with dipped halogens or even dipped HID's , it works fine with LED equipped cars.

It might be, being a LHD car that the system is designed for cars coming towards it on the left of the sensor, where here in the UK oncoming traffic will be to the right of the sensor, but it seems the sensor has a wide frontal range .
Perhaps the keyword is "distant" since mine will not dip the headlamps if the car is a long way off. I have not seen a "distance to dip specification".

The headlamps should dip toward the ditch so a different headlamp configuration between left and right hand drive road networks. Software should be different too. If you are driving a LHD in a RHD country surely you had to make changes to be legal?

Todor

Mine works fine on "dipping", but takes longer than I would prefer to switch back to high beams. Also it seems that the 5 led headlights are only lo/hi beam and no actual beam control such as to move the beam or turn off part of it as found in other brands.

Jeyaar456

Perhaps the keyword is "distant" since mine will not dip the headlamps if the car is a long way off. I have not seen a "distance to dip specification".

The headlamps should dip toward the ditch so a different headlamp configuration between left and right hand drive road networks. Software should be different too. If you are driving a LHD in a RHD country surely you had to make changes to be legal?
. The car got an DVLA inspection on importation and apart from a fog light on the rear it’s as factory spec. and yes the lights don’t really light up the left hand ditch on low beam But as the car is on full beam most of the time it’s not really a major problem.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Mine works fine on "dipping", but takes longer than I would prefer to switch back to high beams. Also it seems that the 5 led headlights are only lo/hi beam and no actual beam control such as to move the beam or turn off part of it as found in other brands.
According to the Owner Manual the Adaptive Headlamps (if equipped) are described as:
"The headlamp beams move in the same
direction as the steering wheel. This provides
more visibility when driving around curves."

My HID headlamps don't do that but the LED headlamps do. Some users on here have confirmed this in earlier posts on this subject. Perhaps all the Adaptive Headlamps equipped vehicles are North American and European models are different?

kkriskal

My HIDs also work correctly both with adaptive and auto dimming. It is especially helpful when driving long distance in the night on windy roads.

Mr. Town, you can check if yours is working by parking your car facing a wall (like inside your garage etc.). Turn your car on (with lights set to auto mode). As soon as the car starts, the lights will come on and you will notice that is kind of adjusts itself and you can see the lights actually move which is visible on the wall.

Todor

According to the Owner Manual the Adaptive Headlamps (if equipped) are described as:
"The headlamp beams move in the same
direction as the steering wheel. This provides
more visibility when driving around curves."

My HID headlamps don't do that but the LED headlamps do. Some users on here have confirmed this in earlier posts on this subject. Perhaps all the Adaptive Headlamps equipped vehicles are North American and European models are different?
Mine is completely North American as it was shipped from Canadian Lincoln dealer - Montmorency - which I don't recommend :D

The "following" function is just additional element turning on after certain steering degree. It doesn't follow anything, just lights the inside corner. Or maybe it follows and I just can't perceive it.

Anyway, other brands are able to stay in high beam and just put shadow over other vehicles, both in the same lane or oncoming. In the Mercedes, you can see the light shift and move and also put shadows over vehicles.

As much as I like the Continental, the LED headlights are not that impressive in function. And the waiting for the auto high beams to come on is too long.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Mine is completely North American as it was shipped from Canadian Lincoln dealer - Montmorency - which I don't recommend :D

The "following" function is just additional element turning on after certain steering degree. It doesn't follow anything, just lights the inside corner. Or maybe it follows and I just can't perceive it.

Anyway, other brands are able to stay in high beam and just put shadow over other vehicles, both in the same lane or oncoming. In the Mercedes, you can see the light shift and move and also put shadows over vehicles.

As much as I like the Continental, the LED headlights are not that impressive in function. And the waiting for the auto high beams to come on is too long.
The LED headlamps on the Continental have 3 LEDs for dipped beam and 2 LEDs for high beam per headlamp. One of the dipped beam LEDs is used for adaptive headlamps. There is an auto test of the adaptive headlamps on startup that moves the beam left and right and stops in the driving position. The Owner manual says that Adaptive Headlamps, if optioned on a vehicle, will have a feature to enable and disable Adaptive Headlamps:

"When the lighting control is in the autolamps position, the headlamps automatically turn on in low light situations or when the wipers
turn on.
When the lighting control is in the autolamps position, you can switch on the following in the information display:
• Configurable daytime running lamps.
• Automatic high beam control.
• Adaptive headlamp control.
The headlamps remain on for a period of time after you switch the ignition off. Use the information display controls to adjust the
period."

I used the steering wheel gears switch to access the Information display in the instrument panel and selected "Lighting". In my case the Adaptive headlamp control option is not offered (and neither is configurable daytime running lamps). But it is available for equipped HID and I think all LED headlamps.

The Adaptive headlamps consist of a module behind the headlamp and a motor in each headlamp to move the HID assembly or the one LED.

MarkX

It might be, being a LHD car that the system is designed for cars coming towards it on the left of the sensor, where here in the UK oncoming traffic will be to the right of the sensor,
That would be my guess, too.

Todor

The LED headlamps on the Continental have 3 LEDs for dipped beam and 2 LEDs for high beam per headlamp. One of the dipped beam LEDs is used for adaptive headlamps. There is an auto test of the adaptive headlamps on startup that moves the beam left and right and stops in the driving position. The Owner manual says that Adaptive Headlamps, if optioned on a vehicle, will have a feature to enable and disable Adaptive Headlamps:

"When the lighting control is in the autolamps position, the headlamps automatically turn on in low light situations or when the wipers
turn on.
When the lighting control is in the autolamps position, you can switch on the following in the information display:
• Configurable daytime running lamps.
• Automatic high beam control.
• Adaptive headlamp control.
The headlamps remain on for a period of time after you switch the ignition off. Use the information display controls to adjust the
period."

I used the steering wheel gears switch to access the Information display in the instrument panel and selected "Lighting". In my case the Adaptive headlamp control option is not offered (and neither is configurable daytime running lamps). But it is available for equipped HID and I think all LED headlamps.

The Adaptive headlamps consist of a module behind the headlamp and a motor in each headlamp to move the HID assembly or the one LED.
Agree, but the function is a little rudimentary. Other systems move all lamps, can shade individual vehicles, etc.
When you turn the wheel, it just lights a little more inside the turn as if it turns on another light source.
Another drawback is that the lights bump with the car, i.e. wavy road, the light will go up and down. I had a 1999 Lexus with ordinary xenon low beams and it would move them together with the suspension dynamically, thus the car moves up-down and rolls tangentially, but the light horizont stays fixed Infront of the vehicle.

They didn't spend the last few hundred bucks on the headlights.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Agree, but the function is a little rudimentary. Other systems move all lamps, can shade individual vehicles, etc.
When you turn the wheel, it just lights a little more inside the turn as if it turns on another light source.
Another drawback is that the lights bump with the car, i.e. wavy road, the light will go up and down. I had a 1999 Lexus with ordinary xenon low beams and it would move them together with the suspension dynamically, thus the car moves up-down and rolls tangentially, but the light horizont stays fixed Infront of the vehicle.

They didn't spend the last few hundred bucks on the headlights.
European lighting laws allow a manufacturer to build in auto leveling headlamps. North American lighting laws do not permit headlamp auto leveling. So your canadian car would not have that feature.

My HID headlamps light the road perfectly without adaptive headlamps or auto leveling headlamps; so i don’t miss a feature that i have never used. The people that have LED headlamps here are very impressed with them. I would have LED headlamps if i could have afforded the option. But the option came with undesirable features that delete the fold down rear seat backs.

Jeyaar456

My car has the simpler HID projector bulb system, I find the adaptive lighting works really well, where I live there are plenty winding narrow roads so it's a definite plus.

Strangely as the car is for the Asian market Auto Headlamp Levelling is fitted , as you see the lights moving up and down on uneven roads plus the sensors are visible on the front and rear suspension arms.

Todor

European lighting laws allow a manufacturer to build in auto leveling headlamps. North American lighting laws do not permit headlamp auto leveling. So your canadian car would not have that feature.

My HID headlamps light the road perfectly without adaptive headlamps or auto leveling headlamps; so i don’t miss a feature that i have never used. The people that have LED headlamps here are very impressed with them. I would have LED headlamps if i could have afforded the option. But the option came with undesirable features that delete the fold down rear seat backs.
Didn't knew that fact regarding legislation, thanks, you are the Lincoln encyclopedia!
Wes, they iluminate the road very well and the color of the light is good.
Do you know how to adjust them? I think I might get them to work a little more to my preference. I like a left light that iluminates on the road centerline and close enough not to blind oncoming cars and right light adjusted further - literally to have a high beam almost horisontal with some load and the low beam as far as possible. Then I adjust the right lamp a little to the right. - in fewer words - classic 80's adjustment. My GM v-platform RWD was adjusted that way and was able to cruise with 160 kph on low beams without complaints from the opposite lane of the highway.

Last edited:

bbf2530

Didn't knew thet fact regarding legislation, thanks, you are the Lincoln encyclopedia!
Wes, they iluminate the road very well and the color of the light is good.
Do you know how to adjust them? I think I might get them to work a little more to my preference. I like a left light that iluminates on the road centerline and close enough not to blind oncoming cars and right light adjusted further - literally to have a high beam almost horisontal with some load and the low beam as far as possible. Then I adjust the right lamp a little to the right. - in fewer words - classic 80's adjustment. My GM v-platform RWD was adjusted that way and was able to cruise with 160 kph on low beams without complaints from the opposite lane of the highway.
Hi Todor. At least for North American vehicles, the factory adjustments only allow allow the headlamps to be adjusted vertically. There is no horizontal adjustment.

Good luck.