Auto Hold

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

oneinch

My '21 Navigator does not remember Auto Hold was on at shut down. I have to turn it on after every restart. The owner manual says "The system remembers the last setting when you start your vehicle." I drove a Nautilus loaner and it remembered. Auto Hold was always on. I like the Auto Hold feature. Does your Navigator remember your Auto Hold setting?

2018-Lincoln-Navigator-16-picsay.jpg

bbf2530

Hi BL. Okay, my experiment, which obviously only applies to my particular vehicle. And spoiler alert, I was disappointed that my theory proved incorrect.

My theory: I have a habit of getting in the car, starting it first, then fastening my seatbelt etc.

I theorized that since the drivers door must be closed and the seatbelt fastened and car started in order to activate "Auto Hold", perhaps "Auto Hold" would not remember the setting for me (and others who don't fasten the seatbelt before starting the vehicle), because the seatbelt must be fastened before starting the car, otherwise it defaults back to off.

Since I don't use "Auto Hold" very often, yesterday I tried all combinations of closing the door, buckling the seatbelt then starting the car...closing the door, starting the car then buckling the belt, etc. etc. But unfortunately, "Auto Hold" always defaults to off in my vehicle no matter what order I tried. Of course, all variations were performed after turning the vehicle off with "Auto Hold" activated.

I had high hopes that buckling the seatbelt before starting the vehicle was the simple answer that may help everyone, but alas...no joy.

Just thought I would share my theory and test results.

Good luck. ;)

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Burr Ridge, IL
As nice as Lincolns are, I don't understand why features like Auto Hold behave differently across different models. Maybe all auto makers do things in a haphazard way where different engineering teams don't communicate and you end up with situations like this.

I mean, this is hard to explain. It is also hard to explain, for example, why some 2020 Navigators have "Climate" as one of the available "push buttons" on the bottom of the infotainment screen, as mine does, and others don't. The Ford Tech Hotline people will act like that is some sort of feature that you get if you buy a Black Label. Seriously? I think they are full of crap. They just have no other answer besides but,d date, trim line or some other nonsense.

Maybe GM, BMW, Mercedes, et al, have no consistency across models and even for a model across different model years. I don't know.

bbf2530

As nice as Lincolns are, I don't understand why features like Auto Hold behave differently across different models. Maybe all auto makers do things in a haphazard way where different engineering teams don't communicate and you end up with situations like this.

I mean, this is hard to explain. It is also hard to explain, for example, why some 2020 Navigators have "Climate" as one of the available "push buttons" on the bottom of the infotainment screen, as mine does, and others don't. The Ford Tech Hotline people will act like that is some sort of feature that you get if you buy a Black Label. Seriously? I think they are full of crap. They just have no other answer besides but,d date, trim line or some other nonsense.

Maybe GM, BMW, Mercedes, et al, have no consistency across models and even for a model across different model years. I don't know.

Hi BL. The same software and behind the dash hardware is used in all Lincoln vehicles for these minor types of features. And that is the same for all manufacturers. And features such as this usually are the same across all vehicle models for any manufacturer.

My theory: Therefore, I believe that either you and "oneinch" are correct: That the Owners Manual is correct and "Auto Hold" should remember the previous setting after the vehicle is turned off. Therefore, oneinch and others may have some sort of glitch that needs correcting.
Or alternately, that my vehicle works correctly, that the "Auto Hold" system does not remember the last setting, and the Owners Manual has a mistake, which is not an unknown occurrence when features are changed. My opinion is that is the correct operation, for the EPA testing baselines and other reasons. But that does not explain why some owners (like you) have vehicles that do "remember" the previous "Auto Hold" setting. :confused:

But I am open minded, and therefore will not bet the farm either way.

Another reason I just thought of why "Auto Hold" would not "remember" the last setting, is for obvious safety reasons. Again, only my thoughts: Most vehicle owners are not used to "Auto Hold" on their vehicles, since it is a relatively new feature. Just imagine the possible ramifications of people (wife, teenager, friend etc.) who do not use or are not familiar with the "Auto Hold" feature getting into a vehicle with "Auto Hold" still enabled from the previous driver (the father/husband, for example). They start the vehicle, drive away. Somewhere along the way, traffic is stop and go, creeping along, but the car won't move when they take their foot off the brake and they don't know why. Impatient, they hit the gas harder, jump forward and BOOM.
Or making tight parking maneuvers, the vehicle does not creep forward, they get confused, hit the gas to move, don't get to the brake in time...get confused...BOOM.
My description of events may not be too clear, but I hope it is understandable.
This is why a default to off and a "choose-on" can be considered a safety necessity in today's overly litigious world.

Yes, I know it is an extreme example, and it is difficult for some owners to put up with safety features tailored to the worst or accidentally careless drivers out there. But it is what automakers need to think of when they incorporate new features.

In reality, until someone can get Lincoln/Ford to change their non-remembering "Auto-Hold" system over to remembering, or that this is a known glitch that is being worked on for a solution, this will be a mystery. But Lincoln/Ford are the only ones that can provide the eventual answer

Anyway, my thoughts still prove nothing either way. They are just thoughts. ;)

Good luck.

Last edited:

oneinch

I stopped by the dealership today. They confirmed for themselves my Auto Hold isn't remembering. The tech and I tried another 'test' Navigator on the lot. No joy. This isn't something they've had reported to them, but they'll forward this to Lincoln. Interestingly I noticed something on the 'test' Navigator. Upon restart the Auto Hold switch light flickered. It would come on and go off just as fast. This tells me that the truck has (kinda sorta) remembered, but something told it to turn off. If the remembered setting was 'off' then the switch did not flicker upon restart. I hadn't noticed this on my truck*, but I looked for this and it does this too. I suspect that those interested in this topic and have forgetful Auto Hold, their switch light will flicker too. Something is amiss I say and it's not a typo in the manual.

This Auto Hold thing is really a minor thing because otherwise it does work. But this is a second problem with my truck* and I'm weary of things snowballing. My SYNC module is messed up. I may make a separate post about it. Lincoln acknowledges the problem, but has no fix for it. All the tech is cool, but it sucks when it doesn't work.

*Truck... Think of me as lazy if you want, but Navigator or SUV just has too many syllables. Truck is quick and easy to say. I've wondered, how do others refer to their vehicle? For the previous 39 years I've had a truck. Maybe old habits do die hard.

bbf2530

I stopped by the dealership today. They confirmed for themselves my Auto Hold isn't remembering. The tech and I tried another 'test' Navigator on the lot. No joy. This isn't something they've had reported to them, but they'll forward this to Lincoln. Interestingly I noticed something on the 'test' Navigator. Upon restart the Auto Hold switch light flickered. It would come on and go off just as fast. This tells me that the truck has (kinda sorta) remembered, but something told it to turn off. If the remembered setting was 'off' then the switch did not flicker upon restart. I hadn't noticed this on my truck*, but I looked for this and it does this too. I suspect that those interested in this topic and have forgetful Auto Hold, their switch light will flicker too. Something is amiss I say and it's not a typo in the manual.

This Auto Hold thing is really a minor thing because otherwise it does work. But this is a second problem with my truck* and I'm weary of things snowballing. My SYNC module is messed up. I may make a separate post about it. Lincoln acknowledges the problem, but has no fix for it. All the tech is cool, but it sucks when it doesn't work.

*Truck... Think of me as lazy if you want, but Navigator or SUV just has too many syllables. Truck is quick and easy to say. I've wondered, how do others refer to their vehicle? For the previous 39 years I've had a truck. Maybe old habits do die hard.

Hi oneinch. Hard to tell by your post. Is it "Auto Hold" you are having trouble with?

Just kidding. ;)

Hope Lincoln can get this issue sorted out for you.

Keep us updated and good luck.

oneinch

I went back to the dealer about Auto Hold. They knew nothing as I thought would be the case. That was okay and they did as expected and contacted Lincoln. I went through all that I know, think, and have read. In short, owners manuals for various Ford/Lincoln models clearly state the Auto Hold setting will be remembered. We tested this on another Navigator on the lot. It failed to remember, but I did notice something on it that mine does as well. Upon restart the Auto Hold switch light does come on and then goes out. So the vehicle is trying to turn back on, but something is turning it back off. Anyhow, here is the lame response to the dealer from Lincoln:

"Sept 3, 2021

With confirming that the auto hold feature is operating the same in the like vehicle and even
through the on-line workshop manual does not describe the enable functionality, the condition
should be considered characteristic operation of the auto hold feature."

This is lame. It is counter to all of their printed material. It is counter to vehicles on the road. This answer is nothing but deflection and a hope that no one complains.

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Burr Ridge, IL
Yep, it is lame, and as far as my vehicle, it is incorrect. My Auto Hold definitely remembers the last setting. I haven't hit the switch in weeks, and Auto Hold is active.

Lincoln does remove things based on VIN, build date, cycle of the moon, tides, you name it. Maybe the Order Guide for your year addresses it?

Edit: It doesn't address this. Only states Auto Hold is Standard.

oneinch

The auto-hold in my 2021 Nautilus also remembers after you shut off the engine.
My Navigator was in for service. I drove a '21 Nautilus loaner. It remembered too. This is what brought this Auto Hold to my attention in my Navigator. Your manual reads exactly the same as my Navigator's manual. I'm pressing the dealer for an answer. What Lincoln has said so far is unacceptable. Their answer explains nothing. Thanks for the reply.

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Burr Ridge, IL
My Navigator was in for service. I drove a '21 Nautilus loaner. It remembered too. This is what brought this Auto Hold to my attention in my Navigator. Your manual reads exactly the same as my Navigator's manual. I'm pressing the dealer for an answer. What Lincoln has said so far is unacceptable. Their answer explains nothing. Thanks for the reply.
Yep, they give a bunch of double talk about build date, etc., that is BS, IMO.