Auto Hold

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

oneinch

My '21 Navigator does not remember Auto Hold was on at shut down. I have to turn it on after every restart. The owner manual says "The system remembers the last setting when you start your vehicle." I drove a Nautilus loaner and it remembered. Auto Hold was always on. I like the Auto Hold feature. Does your Navigator remember your Auto Hold setting?

2018-Lincoln-Navigator-16-picsay.jpg

oneinch

...my apple play doesn’t work...

I don't know if they're related, but it's possible. My radio doesn't work flawlessly. Android Auto works, but sometimes it's fussy about connecting. My XM messes up sometimes when the phone connects. I'll get no sound from satellite. I have to do a soft reboot to get the sound back (press power + next track button for 5~ seconds).

I don't know if they're related, but it's possible. My radio doesn't work flawlessly. Android Auto works, but sometimes it's fussy about connecting. My XM messes up sometimes when the phone connects. I'll get no sound from satellite. I have to do a soft reboot to get the sound back (press power + next track button for 5~ seconds).
Yeah I don’t know if they are related but I figured if I’m at the dealership I should ask. I guess once they have it hooked up to a computer just check everything. That reboot trick is great to know I’ll have to try it to see if it helps my apple play issues.

oneinch

The soft reboot makes my problem somewhat tolerable. From recognizing the problem to fixing the problem takes about 30 seconds. I - or anybody else - shouldn't have to do this, but it resolves the issue....until it happens again.

Cg205

My '21 Navigator does not remember Auto Hold was on at shut down. I have to turn it on after every restart. The owner manual says "The system remembers the last setting when you start your vehicle." I drove a Nautilus loaner and it remembered. Auto Hold was always on. I like the Auto Hold feature. Does your Navigator remember your Auto Hold setting?

View attachment 11147
My Corsair Reserve does the same thing. You’re lucky you have a button, I have to reactivate auto hold on the screen.

bbf2530

Hi gang

Hi oneinch. Not sure about your Nautilus experience, or why your Owners Manual states otherwise, but "Auto Hold" must be activated on each restart.

There are preliminary requirements for "Auto Hold" to be initiated. For example, one is that the driver must have their seat belt buckled before it can be activated. This is a safety feature, to keep a driver from leaving the car while it is running and only being held in place by "Auto Hold".

So unless there has been a drastic change, it must be reset each time the vehicle is restarted.

Good luck.

oneinch

Yes, I know all that preliminary stuff. I copied what it says in the manual letter for letter, word for word. "The system remembers the last setting when you start your vehicle." I interpret this to mean that if you turn it on, it is on until you turn it off. You can't interpret it any other way.

I've got a Maverick on order. It says the same thing in it's manual. I'll be checking to see if it is so or not.

bbf2530

Yes, I know all that preliminary stuff. I copied what it says in the manual letter for letter, word for word. "The system remembers the last setting when you start your vehicle." I interpret this to mean that if you turn it on, it is on until you turn it off. You can't interpret it any other way.

I've got a Maverick on order. It says the same thing in it's manual. I'll be checking to see if it is so or not.

Hi oneinch. I understand you copied it word for word from the manual. I am stating real world experience with many current Lincoln vehicles, not simply quoting the manual.

Check with your Dealership Service Department for the final answer.

Good luck.

oneinch

Real world schmeal world. I know this stuff too. You have more faith in dealers than I do. My car - and it would seem that other's cars too - doesn't remember the last setting. If I ask any dealer anything I'll ask why does it do this when the manual says that. A metaphorical million bucks says they will just ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. A dealer won't know. I may stop by and ask just to put them through the ringer.

bbf2530

Real world schmeal world. I know this stuff too. You have more faith in dealers than I do. My car - and it would seem that other's cars too - doesn't remember the last setting. If I ask any dealer anything I'll ask why does it do this when the manual says that. A metaphorical million bucks says they will just ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. A dealer won't know. I may stop by and ask just to put them through the ringer.

Hi one inch. LOL...This has nothing to do with "faith in Dealers". So I am not sure why you are debating/arguing with someone who is trying to help.

My car and other Lincolns do not remember the "Auto Hold" setting either. The driver must get in, start car/buckle seatbelt (in either order) and then press the "Auto Hold" button. That is why it can not simply remember the previous setting. And that is what seems to be the default.

In other words, the Owners Manual seems to have a mistake in it.

If you have a better idea how to get the answer, other than an online poll (which so far, everyone answering has told you your car is working the same as ours), let us know what you find out.

Good luck.

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Burr Ridge, IL
2020 Navigator. Just went to the dog park. Turned on Auto Hold before I got out. When I got back in later and turned on the vehicle, Auto Hold was still on and functioning. So, it does remember the last setting for me.

oneinch

2020 Navigator....it does remember the last setting for me.

Thank you. I bet your manual says the same thing as my '21 manual too. It should stay on until you turn it off or not come on until you turn it on. Your setting should be remembered.

oneinch

'19 MKZ here and it too remembers the Auto Hold....

Nice. A second confirmation. And I bet your owners manual says it should do this. This tells me that if your manual says it then it should be so. My manual says the setting should be remembered and it's not remembering.

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Burr Ridge, IL
Nice. A second confirmation. And I bet your owners manual says it should do this. This tells me that if your manual says it then it should be so. My manual says the setting should be remembered and it's not remembering.
Well, my Navigator doesn't do some things that other Navigators do, so who knows? I suspect, though, that this is the same from year to year. You should have it looked at.

You aren't using it with cruise are you?

oneinch

Well, my Navigator doesn't do some things that other Navigators do, so who knows? I suspect, though, that this is the same from year to year. You should have it looked at.

You aren't using it with cruise are you?

I bet your manual says what mine says: it should remember. Yes, I'm going bring this to the attention of my dealer. They'll have no answer, but I'm sure they'll say they'll look into it. Yes, I have used it with ACC. This isn't a problem. I turn on Auto Hold. I set and drive with ACC. ACC overrides Auto Hold. If I turn off ACC, Auto Hold resumes working. This sort of thing is my greatest concern with any new car: the tech quits working.

Black Label

SUPPORTING MEMBER
Burr Ridge, IL
I bet your manual says what mine says: it should remember. Yes, I'm going bring this to the attention of my dealer. They'll have no answer, but I'm sure they'll say they'll look into it. Yes, I have used it with ACC. This isn't a problem. I turn on Auto Hold. I set and drive with ACC. ACC overrides Auto Hold. If I turn off ACC, Auto Hold resumes working. This sort of thing is my greatest concern with any new car: the tech quits working.
Yes, I already replied to you above affirming that my manual states that as well.

And, good luck if your dealer service department reaches out to the Ford Tech Hotline. They will likely give some run around about how your VIN and build date blah blah blah does not have that feature. There will be no other explanation as to why.

Hopefully, I'm wrong about that. Maybe they will actually fix it. It's as simple as every other Lincoln remembers the setting, you should not have to press that button every time you start the vehicle, and it should function properly.

bbf2530

Hi BL. Just some brainstorming here: First, I need to point out that not "every other Lincoln remembers the setting". Out of the 6 members who are involved/have responded in this thread, 4 vehicles do not remember the setting and two do.

If my count is correct, there are 2 Navigators, one of which does remember and one does not remember the setting. One unknown model which does not remember. One Corsair which does not remember. And 2 MKZ's, one which does remember and one which does not.

Obviously, such a small polling number does not prove the majority or minority is correct or wrong. And I can understand the reasoning of you and "oneinch", that the Owners Manual says it should remember, so therefore it should. Also, that it would be an odd glitch that any vehicles would remember the setting, so perhaps that is the correct operation and the other 4 are not working correctly.
And I also understand the experience of those who feel the logical way for it to work would be to default off/choose on (for reasons mentioned below), and/or those of us who have seen the Owners Manual be incorrect, with last minute feature changes etc.

Therefore, I merely re-state that the only way to eventually find a correct answer is through Lincoln/Ford, no matter how the online poll may wind up tallying. I also understand that some owners do not seem to trust Lincoln/Ford or their Dealer to get a correct answer, due to their own "real world experience". ;)

Now, this part is only my opinion: For the reasons I previously mentioned, I believe that the "Auto Hold" setting is not meant to be remembered. An additional reason is that for the extremely strict EPA testing regulations, there must be certain defaults for all such features. So for "Auto Stop-Start", :"Auto Hold" etc, they must default to one setting or another. Again, this is only my opinion, since Lincoln/Ford will need to provide the correct answer, no matter how much some owners do not trust them.

Also just opinion and personal preference here: I prefer "Auto Hold" to not remember the on setting and default off, as I use it sparingly and definitely want it off in certain driving situations. Those situations include situations such as driving in a tight parking lot, very heavy stop and go traffic etc., where I want the car to be able to creep forward when I take my foot off the brake, as opposed to needing to hit the gas to get it moving.

Also, I performed an experiment to test out an idea. I will post it separately, to avoid this post being longer than it already is. :ROFLMAO:

Anyway, just thinking out loud. Good luck.