Auto Hold fix please

Treat center

my 2017 auto hold does not stay on when I turn off the car. When I turn off my car, it resets back to off. Newer models do stay on.
Is there a new switch I can purchase and replace?
If not, what options do I have to get this frustrating item to stay on?

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
my 2017 auto hold does not stay on when I turn off the car. When I turn off my car, it resets back to off. Newer models do stay on.
Is there a new switch I can purchase and replace?
If not, what options do I have to get this frustrating item to stay on?
Auto-Hold is described in your 2017 owner manual at the end of the Brakes section pages 205 thru 207 in my pdf version.

I have not used Auto-Hold, but it just replaces your foot on the brake by maintaining your brake pressure while waiting at a light or similar. The switch has a light when activated, and the light turns off when the button is pressed again to release the brakes. The Auto-Hold is switched off after the ignition is switched off to release brake pressure while parked. The parking brake or Auto-Hold can be used to hold the car on a grade in preparation for starting off.

The idea that Continental models after 2017 will allow Auto-Hold to stay on after parking with the ignition off and the seat belt disengaged and the driver door opened and closed means that the brake system is pressurised. I don't believe that would be something Ford would allow. What is your source that proposes this concept in later models?

Your 2017 Continental cannot be made to operate in the way you would like, due to the electronics not allowing it.

MarkX

From my experience, I would like to confirm that my 2019 Conti retains the driver's option of activating Auto-Hold through the ignition off-on cycle. That is to say that once I have turned on Auto-Hold via the dashboard button, it stays on in standby mode until I deactivate the Auto-Hold dashboard button. I like this functionality and it is "on" most of the time. It is slightly more relaxing to not to have to keep one's foot planted on the brake pedal whilst waiting for the light to change, it is probably safer in that the car cannot surge forward if for some reason the driver's foot comes off the brake pedal, and it is quicker off the line when you get the green as you can just have your foot lightly touching the gas pedal and then give it a quick prod and off you go. In non-Auto-Hold mode, you lose time taking your foot of the brake and pressing the gas.

Treat center, I would think you've got a warranty-repair issue there and I would take it to a dealer; there's no good reason for yours not to work the way everyone else's do.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
From my experience, I would like to confirm that my 2019 Conti retains the driver's option of activating Auto-Hold through the ignition off-on cycle. That is to say that once I have turned on Auto-Hold via the dashboard button, it stays on in standby mode until I deactivate the Auto-Hold dashboard button. I like this functionality and it is "on" most of the time. It is slightly more relaxing to not to have to keep one's foot planted on the brake pedal whilst waiting for the light to change, it is probably safer in that the car cannot surge forward if for some reason the driver's foot comes off the brake pedal, and it is quicker off the line when you get the green as you can just have your foot lightly touching the gas pedal and then give it a quick prod and off you go. In non-Auto-Hold mode, you lose time taking your foot of the brake and pressing the gas.

Treat center, I would think you've got a warranty-repair issue there and I would take it to a dealer; there's no good reason for yours not to work the way everyone else's do.
Thanks for confirming that the 2019 Auto-Hold works the same way as @Treat center would like. I tried Auto-Hold all day yesterday. It works the same way as the owner manual says for a 2017 model. Turn on the Auto-Hold and when you brake to a stop the car stays stopped (when you take your foot off the brake pedal), a little gas and you are moving again. Turn off the ignition and the Auto-Hold light goes out and does not come back on until the Auto-Hold button is pressed again. That is the way most systems like cruise control etc work. So 2017 and 2019 models operate differently.

Now that I know how the system works, I am unlikely to use it again. I use left foot braking so the right foot dance does not apply. When in a drive thru line and dealing with ordering or picking up the order I use the park function to avoid distractions causing an accident. Auto-Hold just changes any distraction problem from the foot releasing the brakes to the foot pressing the throttle, so not a solution for me.

There are many systems that apply the brakes to change speed without the driver doing anything. A brief look through the service manual did not show anything for Auto-Hold but I will look more carefully. Many modules when reloaded give options on different settings so perhaps Auto-Hold can be updated as in 2019 models.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Once I parked with auto hold on, quite confusing.

Town, left foot braking? Are you coming from go-carts or other racing formula?
No go carts, only enough racing to know that I am not gifted, and anyway only manual trans. When I started to drive automatics then I started left foot braking because it works so perfectly and fast off the start line, er, stop line.

Now that I am getting on in age I notice all the people that press hard on the accelerator instead of the brake and cause major accidents. So now I see left foot braking as a safety feature. The positioning of the pedals has changed over the years with the throttle as high now as the brake pedal and close together. Throttle pedals used to be lower than the brake pedal and spaced better from the brake pedal. Brakes have more boost now and allow the brake pedal to drop noticeably so interfering with the throttle pedal particularly from a stop.

Just my viewpoint.

C Krohn

Fort Worth, TX

Useful in drag racing, I suppose.

Multitask

The 2020 MKZ will stay in what mode I choose.... on/off when I turn off/on the car.

Just an FYI.... so either Ford/Lincoln fixed, it, or there is an update waiting for you. 8)