Audio system won't come on 2017 Continental

Thread starter #1

scmadm

I just had my audio system shut off, and couldn't turn it back on. Also, Navigation then would show up and you could set a destination, but then not function. Looked all over, then came across a posting about this issue in the 09 Navigator with a THX radio system. There is a software fix mentioned TSB 09-5-9 , but in the meantime it said to reset the audio to disconnect the battery, then touch the two leads together to drain the system for 5sec. Then reconnect, positive first, neg last. Sure enough, that fixed it. Everyone kept saying it was a fuse, but that was fine. Posting it here for the next guy, if that is his problem too.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Welcome to the Forum.

Surprising how disconnecting the battery fixes some problems. The capacitors drain normally after a few minutes, never heard of touching the disconnected pos and neg cables after removing from battery. Usually just disconnect the negative cable for 5 mins to drain everything.

bbf2530

I just had my audio system shut off, and couldn't turn it back on. Also, Navigation then would show up and you could set a destination, but then not function. Looked all over, then came across a posting about this issue in the 09 Navigator with a THX radio system. There is a software fix mentioned TSB 09-5-9 , but in the meantime it said to reset the audio to disconnect the battery, then touch the two leads together to drain the system for 5sec. Then reconnect, positive first, neg last. Sure enough, that fixed it. Everyone kept saying it was a fuse, but that was fine. Posting it here for the next guy, if that is his problem too.
Hi scmadm. Glad you got your system working again. However, just a recommendation, in case it occurs again: Assuming you may still have 4 year/50,000 mile Bumper to Bumper warranty coverage on your 2017 Continental, I would recommend you bring it in for a proper diagnostic and repair next time it happens.
Disconnecting the battery, touching the positive/negative cables etc, is only putting a band aid on a system issue. It will temporarily get things working again, but not correct the underlying issue. This means the same problem will most likely occur again and again, until finally your Continental is out of warranty. Also, the underlying cause of the problem may finally progress to the point that the temporary fix no longer works.
Better to get the problem diagnosed and fixed correctly. And it is always better to bring the car in while things are not working correctly. It is difficult to diagnose something that is not happening at the time.
Just my opinion. Good luck.

jhartz

Not so sure: a hard reset frequently will fix a problem caused by disruptive electronic emissions effecting key circuits. Easiest hard reset for these cars (and most modern Fords due to some idiot putting the battery under a hard cowling), is to disconnect the positive terminal (the one in front) and touching that cable to a metal ground. Does the same thing as touching pos and neg cables or letting the battery sit idle for 15 minutes. The goal is to drain all capacitors which resets original settings once reconnected.

With Jaguars and Land Rovers, much easier than visiting the dealer and waiting two hours drinking crappy coffee. Guessing it's the same for Lincolns, even if they will come and get the car.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

HTML