Anyone used any Valve cleaners on your ecoboost?

Sagar810

Boulder, COLORADO
Keep reading time to time about older ecoboost with direct injection having carbon buildup on the Valves as they never get sprayed with gasoline to clean them up. This eventually leads to misfires and damage to cyclinder heads or other expensive repairs. The new F150s have Direct and Port injection both to solve the carbon build up issue.

Has anyone used any sort of cleaners on your ecoboost MKTs? I dont want to use Seafoam as I know for a fact, it can damage the turbos. I am also not sure if a catchcan is something that will work against the warranty.

RedGeminiPA

Altoona, PA
I’ve read that pretty much any of the cleaners can damage the turbos. Your safest bet might be to run a couple tanks of Chevron Techron a couple times per year.

I believe Ford has made some other changes over the years to help with the issue, as it mostly effects pre 2013 models... from what I’ve read.

On that note, mine displays some miles misfire-like behavior when going up hills, and if I try to drive it immediately after a cold startup. I’m planning to run a couple tanks of Techron to see if it helps.

leandro

I’ve read that pretty much any of the cleaners can damage the turbos. Your safest bet might be to run a couple tanks of Chevron Techron a couple times per year.

I believe Ford has made some other changes over the years to help with the issue, as it mostly effects pre 2013 models... from what I’ve read.

On that note, mine displays some miles misfire-like behavior when going up hills, and if I try to drive it immediately after a cold startup. I’m planning to run a couple tanks of Techron to see if it helps.
Mine does that too. I was told switching spark plugs, mine has 180k miles

Sagar810

Boulder, COLORADO

This is what I was looking at and felt maybe this is logical on our MKTs and is bound to happen. I am just shooting in the dark trying to figure out why my MKT has a coolant drop after 10K miles of driving and why I always have steam smoke coming out of the tailpipes even after its warmed up or driven 15miles or more. I also think maybe my car never goes into the closed loop as it never thinks its warmed up?

Saddest thing is, we cannot correlate the gas mileage to an issue as its always bad on our MKTs. I normally get 13 in city and 19-20 on highway with cruise control around 80-82 on 75 zones.

RedGeminiPA

Altoona, PA
I’m definitely going to look into the CRC. I didn’t realize it was even on the market. I’ll have to do some research for proper application, since we have twin turbos. I’d imagine it would be best to do about half of a can per turbo, but I’d want clarification before I do it.

RedGeminiPA

Altoona, PA
Advance Auto Parts has it for $12.99, and the reviews are very positive, overall. I’m going to see if I can find a video of it being used on the Ford 3.5 EcoBoost. I’ll post it here, if I find one.

Sagar810

Boulder, COLORADO
Advance Auto Parts has it for $12.99, and the reviews are very positive, overall. I’m going to see if I can find a video of it being used on the Ford 3.5 EcoBoost. I’ll post it here, if I find one.
I found it being used on a Ford f150 Di with the 3.5, but not sure if I want to try it now as I am scheduled for an oil change tomorrow (it needs about a weeks of soaking in to work well. I will get to it maybe before my next oil change if I decide on doing it.

Last edited:

g_307863

My problem with my Lincoln MKT is slightly different if any one can help. My two front wheels started to shake in the highway when I pas the 50-60 miles any idea?

RedGeminiPA

Altoona, PA
An oil change wouldn’t make a difference. It’s not soaking down into the oil. It’s staying in the intake and combustion chambers. I’ll be picking mine up today, as well as a bottle of Chevron Techron.

Sagar810

Boulder, COLORADO
An oil change wouldn’t make a difference. It’s not soaking down into the oil. It’s staying in the intake and combustion chambers. I’ll be picking mine up today, as well as a bottle of Chevron Techron.
It says to do it every alternate oil change or 10K miles, but now that I think about it, it does not hit the oil. Anyways, let me know how yours works out. Maybe you may end up +1mpg when things are cleaned up. So when it is cleaning the valves, where is the carbon deposits going? burning off through the exhaust with the fuel?

RedGeminiPA

Altoona, PA
I did it yesterday. So far, it seems to be running smoother, both idle and overall driving. It’s a little early to tell if it helps with fuel economy. I’m planning to do it again in about 1,000 miles, as the video you linked discussed. I’m also going to dump in a bottle of Chevron Techron when I fill up the next tank, which should be about a week after doing the CRC treatment.

Sagar810

Boulder, COLORADO
I did it yesterday. So far, it seems to be running smoother, both idle and overall driving. It’s a little early to tell if it helps with fuel economy. I’m planning to do it again in about 1,000 miles, as the video you linked discussed. I’m also going to dump in a bottle of Chevron Techron when I fill up the next tank, which should be about a week after doing the CRC treatment.
What if, you just let this work for a while and try the chevron techron in a couple of weeks? The test engineer in me is really curious to see how much difference each of this makes. Also, how did you use the cleaner? Just opened your air intake box and spray it while someone was revving it to 2k? I dont think we have MAF sensor. Can you send some pictures? did you spray the full bottle in? and what gaps inbetween sprays?

RedGeminiPA

Altoona, PA
In a couple of weeks or less, I’ll be at 1,000 miles since the CRC, so I’ll be doing the Techron in a few days.

As for the CRC, I loosened the air cleaner clamp, first one passed the box. There is a harness on the cleaner box, so I’m guessing that’s the MAF, which is before the first clamp, so that’s out of the way.

Shove the tube of the CRC can in at least a good inch to clear the bump in the intake hose.

I used an old vacuum cleaner wand to put against the gas pedal, and bump the power seat up gently to hit around the 2k RPM mark.

I sprayed for a few seconds at a time, with a second or two between squirts. It didn’t really bog the engine like most videos I’ve watched. Spray the entire can.

Remove the wedge for the throttle, then rev to around 3,500 RPM a few times. Let it settle into idle for about a minute, then shut off to heat soak for about an hour. After that, run it on the highway for at least 10 minutes.

Sagar810

Boulder, COLORADO
Thankyou I have my car with lincoln now for the oil change and coolant loss issue but ofcourse the coolant has dropped 2 finger space in 10K miles, so them trying to find an issue will be impossible!

SGilbert

South Bend, IN
FWIW, just had my '11 at Lincoln dealership for brakes & oil change.
They highly recommended fuel system service.
They performed: Fuel induction system service, decarbon intake, clean injectors, & air intake system.
Air filter & 'fuel kit' (whatever that is): $85.45
Labor $97.00
Total: $182.45
I will say, my MKT runs smoother than it before.

Sagar810

Boulder, COLORADO
FWIW, just had my '11 at Lincoln dealership for brakes & oil change.
They highly recommended fuel system service.
They performed: Fuel induction system service, decarbon intake, clean injectors, & air intake system.
Air filter & 'fuel kit' (whatever that is): $85.45
Labor $97.00
Total: $182.45
I will say, my MKT runs smoother than it before.
I think I will ask them about it, but carbon at 18K miles for my MKT seems very bad to be dealing with. I think at such a low mileage they should do it for free on my MKT incase its needed. But good to know they offer this. 180 dollars for a better running MKT is something I dont mind doing to keep it hassle free.

RedGeminiPA

Altoona, PA
Sounds to me like they used CRC and dumped a bottle of Chevron Techron in the tank. That’s what I did... for $20. There’s no other way to clean carbon buildup without ripping apart the engine.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

HTML