Anyone use studded tires before?

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

wombcrusher

So I have a Lincoln MKS Ecoboost awd with 20” rims. God AWFUL in the snow. Tires are way too wide for winters in the frozen tundra. So I’m looking to get 4 18x8 5x4.5 bolt pattern with 45mm offset which should fit. Then put 225 60 18 studded tires. That should keep me within 0.2% height and revolutions but should narrow my tire by about 3/4”.

Question before I buy. Has anyone changed rims and used studded tires? Did they help your traction or is it more of an issue with the car?

wombcrusher

Not sure about the studded tires, but I don't think 18" wheels will clear the brake calipers.
The non-ecoboost has 18” rims that’s why I was thinking 18” rims. But if the braking system is different then you are right the rims wouldn’t work

Rongold

What year is the car ??? If it is 13 or up, then I think the smallest you could go is 19". If it is 12 or down, then 18's should clear the calipers. The size of the rotors was increased for the 2013 & up, and the calipers were moved outwards.

RON

bbf2530

So I have a Lincoln MKS Ecoboost awd with 20” rims. God AWFUL in the snow. Tires are way too wide for winters in the frozen tundra. So I’m looking to get 4 18x8 5x4.5 bolt pattern with 45mm offset which should fit. Then put 225 60 18 studded tires. That should keep me within 0.2% height and revolutions but should narrow my tire by about 3/4”.

Question before I buy. Has anyone changed rims and used studded tires? Did they help your traction or is it more of an issue with the car?

Hi wombcrusher. Assuming apples to apples FWD to FWD, AWD to AWD, RWD to RWD etc, snow traction comes down to tires.

Even a dedicated set (4) of quality snow tires, no studs, will give you vastly improved traction over all-season tires.

Good luck.

wombcrusher

What year is the car ??? If it is 13 or up, then I think the smallest you could go is 19". If it is 12 or down, then 18's should clear the calipers. The size of the rotors was increased for the 2013 & up, and the calipers were moved outwards.

RON
It’s a 2011. It looks like it would clear.

wombcrusher

Hi wombcrusher. Assuming apples to apples FWD to FWD, AWD to AWD, RWD to RWD etc, snow traction comes down to tires.

Even a dedicated set (4) of quality snow tires, no studs, will give you vastly improved traction over all-season tires.

Good luck.
I’m changing jobs and going from hwy to 31 miles of backroads

bbf2530

I’m changing jobs and going from hwy to 31 miles of backroads

Hi wombcrusher. Just keep in mind we have no idea what state or even country you are in, how much snow you get etc.

Studded tires have their advantages on ice, but their advantages over a good set of modern, dedicated snow tires are minimal. In addition, there are the limitations that many states place on the use of studded tires, which you would not have with a good set of snow tires. Not trying to tell you what to do, only mentioning the pros and cons.

Let us know what you decide to do and good luck.

Last edited:

wombcrusher

Hi wombcrusher. Just keep in mind we have no idea what state or even country you are in, how much snow you get etc.

Studded tires have their advantages on ice, but their advantages over a good set of modern, dedicated snow tires are minimal. In addition, there are the limitations that many states place on the use of studded tires, which you woul dnot ahve with a good set of snow tires. Not trying to tell you what to do, only mentioning the pros and cons.

Let us know what you decide to do and good luck.
I’m in Wisconsin. Backroads will be covered in snow and or ice 50%+ of the time.