Anti theft lock out

Uniongoon

Hi all, new to forum, probably typical new poster cause my car is busted. 2007 MKZ, high mileage, (362,000 km which is I guess about 210,000 miles?). Problem started with engine light and some weird computer trouble indicator lights, wrench symbol lit up. Code reader stated the trans lost connection to the ECU. well this cleared up after shutting off and re starting. then the battery drained, so I re charged, and it would not turn over, although I can hear relay click. I stated thinking old school and pulled the starting motor. Was told by electric motor repair shop it was pooched, so I had it rebuilt. Re installed and still no action. but I noticed more dash lights than normal, with key in run position, the Anti-theft indicator light is flashing quickly and does not go off. Basic owners manual simply says take it to dealer, but is there any steps I can try before shelling out for a large tow cost? I have two factory keys, and they both still lock and unlock doors and trunk. Could they still require battery replacement, even though they still seem to function? I did have the vehicles battery out overnight, is there maybe a security system reset sequence or is this a dealer only repair. Hoping this site is frequented enough for me to get some help, thanks in advance.

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Welcome Uniongoon,

This forum is intended as a place for posting solutions to technical problems rather than responding to problem issues. The place you need is here: http://lincolnforums.com/forums/forums/26-Lincoln-MKZ-Lincoln-Zephyr the MKZ forum.

When you heard the click of the starter solenoid then it is not a PATS issue that the starter will not turn, so rebuilding the starter sounds reasonable, but the battery can be almost dead and still allow the click of the solenoid.

The PATS system in your car uses a transponder in your key. The key may be an integrated transponder and remote entry or just a transponder key. The key(s) programmed to the PATS system in the Instrument Cluster (IC) are set in a table. When the ignition is turned on the PATS module in the IC sends a pulse to the transceiver (installed around the ignition key lock switch) that reads (through integrated radio antenna) the transponder code in the key and sends it back to the PATS module. The PATS module compares the just read code with the programmed codes table and if it matches will turn off the PATS light in the dash and ground the starter relay and tells the PCM to allow the engine to start when the key is turned to start. In cases where the code is not matched and the PATS light flashes more quickly then the PATS will not allow the starter relay to ground (and you will not hear the click from the starter motor relay) and tells the PCM to not fire the injectors. Possible issues are:
1. key is wrong,
2. the keychain contains radio interference equipment like another PATS key, etc;
3. transceiver at ignition lock switch is faulty;
4. IC PATS module is faulty and the IC must be replaced;
5. IC or PCM have been replaced and the PATS key(s) not calibrated to them (simple Dealer parameter reset procedure).

The diagnosis of the PATS is usually done by a dealer with the special scanner. However, the transceiver is a popular fail point so its replacement is often a fix. Attached are the descriptions of the PATS system and the procedure to replace the transceiver on your car.

Another possibility in your case is battery and alternator failure. All the electronics can be problematic with alternator voltage out of range or batteries that short out and go dead. So I would get your battery and alternator tested and make sure the electrical connectors are clean.

Good luck.

Attachments

Uniongoon

Well that is 500% more helpful information than I expected, thank you very very much. This will power me through my Sunday. I am having everything financially in my life imploding and this seems to be just one more kick in the sack for me lol. Funny how CRA, insurance and banks all have the same way of kicking people when they are down, "oh you are having a hard time paying? Ok, we will charge you more interest and late penalties, that should help you pay us". Nice to get a little charity help from a fellow Canadian, I do appreciate it. I am fortunate to have a pretty good mechanical background, but as with many backyard mechanics, the technology aspect is getting ahead of my abilities.

Chuck

have a 2008 Lincoln MKX - low mileage (60000). Anti theft light is on when engine not running and car not locked, goes off when started. Hadn't noticed blinking light until getting the oil changed today. Started blinking while oil was being changed.....service tech said they didn't do anything to activate system.

HTML