• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1998 Town Car" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1998 Town Car" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Another water leak question, how to access good cable grommet?

TaNk_Lincoln

Hi guys. New too lincolns and bought a 2005 town car signature literally a week ago. Took the car through a car wash and while vacuuming noticed the driver and rear driver's side floor was wet. Read some of the threads about leaks and got a general idea of where to go from here to remedy the problem. I have a question and since it unfortunately seems like a common problem, hopefully you guys can help me out. How or what is the best way to access the hood release cable grommet? And how do I go about sealing it?

Brian J. Patterson

Northern Illinois
The hood release cable grommet is on the left firewall. It is located "relatively" straight in front of the hood release handle, having it somewhat obstructed from the engine side by the master cylinder and brake booster. But with some care, it can be inspected from the engine side. The interior side is also somewhat crowded by the dash board assembly.

If the grommet looks even somewhat suspect, replace it by removing the hood release cable. Thread the new grommet onto the cable before re-installing it. It will "pull through" from the interior towards the engine compartment. Be sure to deburr the hole as best as you can before reinstalling the cable. A little silicone grease works wonders on making the new grommet easier to slide up the cable and to get seated into the hole.

If the grommet is not seated in its hole, you might be able to get it seated by gently pulling or pushing as needed and sliding it over the cable and into its hole in the firewall.

Good luck.

TaNk_Lincoln

Yea so I'm not sure where the leak is coming from. Pulled the front carpet back and poured some water on the car and couldn't really see where the leak is coming from. Looked at the fresh air intake in the cowl on the passenger side and it appears a previous owner or someone already caulked up the intake. Pretty clueless on where to go from here. How much would it cost for a shop to try and find the leak?

Brian J. Patterson

Northern Illinois
Finding a water leak can be a time-consuming and tedious affair. If you are mechanically inclined, and have a friend to help you, you would be better off doing the job yourself, even if you take the car to a repair shop for the actual repair.

First, make some notes to yourself about the leaking. When does the car leak? Does it take in more water relatively speaking when it's driven, or does it take water equally even if sitting parked during a rainstorm. If the car is garaged during any rain but driven on wet roads, does it get wet inside then? Or does it only leak water into the cabin during rains but not in the absence of rain even driving on wet roads? The answers to these questions will help you identify the places to look at more carefully, as well as directing your attention (and garden hose) when you actually check for the leak or leaks.

Next, make sure the entire interior (including under the carpet) is absolutely dry! Later steps will have you spraying water at the car to force it past leaks. The water from last week will confuse you when trying to find "today's" water.

Now, with one or two friends to help you, spray the car with the garden hose, or a power-wash sprayer. Your detective work in the first step may guide you as to what parts of the car to spray. You are looking for relatively high pressure, but not a lot of volume. This way, you will get just enough dampness at the leak without letting in so much water that you can't figure out where and how it came in.

Finally, look for the dampness. The dampness should only be in the area(s) that are leaking, and those immediately adjoining locations where gravity or absorption draws it.

With the leak(s) now identified, they can be repaired as appropriate giving you once again a dry interior.

Good luck.

TaNk_Lincoln

So I took the car into a local shop today. They inspected for leaks and they said as far as they could tell it's leaking from the sunroof seal. They say the drains are clear but the seal is not holding and causing water to run down the ceiling to the floor. Does this sound like it could be correct?

YoungOldMan

It sounds very possible. Sunroof seals are one of the more common leak points. I'd put it at #3, behind door drains and cowl seal, maybe tied with hood release cable.

TaNk_Lincoln

Ok thx for the reply. They say they can't fix it because they can't find a replacement seal? They said they will call the Ford dealership and see if they can find one. Haven't received a call back yet...

TaNk_Lincoln

They called back and said that they couldn't find one and that the whole unit may have to be replaced cuz of dirt and things but I looked and it didn't even seem dirty? They say they can't tell forsure if it's the factory sunroof. Anyway to find out if the one is the factory unit?

dave42

Leander, TX C.K.U.
So I took the car into a local shop today. They inspected for leaks and they said as far as they could tell it's leaking from the sunroof seal. They say the drains are clear but the seal is not holding and causing water to run down the ceiling to the floor. Does this sound like it could be correct?
I don't think that is correct. The seal is not supposed to be watertight. That is why the drains are there, one in each corner. It should only be a problem if the drain(s) get plugged.

TaNk_Lincoln

That's what I thought too. I'm kinda at a loss for words right now. I just bought the car 9 days ago and now I feel sick about it. It was rainy today so I decided to look and right now it's mostly wet right under the driver seat to the rear right. The car looks mint even the underbody but the seat posts are super rusty indicating it must have been happening for some time. That's the only area I overlooked while checking the car out. Really don't know what to do from here.

Attachments

Brian J. Patterson

Northern Illinois
The seal is more "wind tight" than water tight. In dry weather, drive the car at speed. If the sunroof "whistles," you need a new seal. If not, the seal's still good.

Like other posters have said, you have a problem with the sunroof drains. Good luck fixing them, and the problems they've caused.

With the sunroof drains, you can test them one at a time to see which drain(s) have problems, and what problems they have. If they are only obstructed at the bottoms, you might have a relatively simple "fix" by removing the obstructions.

If you need to replace the drain lines, you will need to remove the headliner. You will also need to remove the A or C pillar trim to access the drain lines, but IIRC you will be removing them anyway to remove the headliner. You will also likely be best served by replacing all four drain lines, since the effort to get to them is that involved, and all four drain lines will be the same age, even if only one has gone bad.

TaNk_Lincoln

So if it is the sunroof, that spot under the driver seat would be the place the water would end up? I believe I've heard a slight wind noise coming from the sunroof when the cover is slid open. I do not see a Ford symbol on the sunroof glass though. I'm going to flex tape the seems of the sunroof and see if that stops the leak. Then I'll know if that's the only one. Why would Ford design these cars to leak like a siiv? Idgi

Brian J. Patterson

Northern Illinois
So if it is the sunroof, that spot under the driver seat would be the place the water would end up? I believe I've heard a slight wind noise coming from the sunroof when the cover is slid open. I do not see a Ford symbol on the sunroof glass though. I'm going to flex tape the seems of the sunroof and see if that stops the leak. Then I'll know if that's the only one. Why would Ford design these cars to leak like a siiv? Idgi
The sunroof will be quiet only when closed. When open, you will get wind noise from it, because it's open.

Getting leaks "straight down" from the sunroof is not unheard of, but it isn't common--and you would see the water coming down from the roof if you were even remotely aware of your surroundings.

As for finding out if the sunroof was a factory Lincoln install, you have at least two options.

First, if Lincoln was still using "broadcast sheets" in 2005, look for one. Broadcast sheets were printed instructions sent to the shop floor and accompanying the car as it went down the assembly line, confirming which options were to be installed on the car.

If you take up the back seat bottom, you will possibly find a sheet of paper in between the springs and the padding. That will be the broadcast sheet. Carefully remove it and look for any annotations about a sunroof. No annotations=not from the factory. Broadcast sheets can sometimes be found in other locations, but those would be even tougher to get to than what I've described, and the broadcast tucked away in such a location may not have survived in readable condition.

Second, go to your Lincoln dealer and have the check with the factory and see what options were installed at the factory.

If you ended up with an "Elmer Fudd and Daffy Duck" sunroof instead of a factory one, you'll likely play merry hell getting it set back to rights. Such sunroofs vary widely and wildly in quality in both materials and workmanship, both maker and installer.

Good luck.

TaNk_Lincoln

I don't mean that it made wind noise when the sunroof was open, I meant when it was closed but the sliding headliner cover for it was open. The water doesn't drip directly down from the sunroof. Not that I'm aware of anyway. I'm wondering if it somehow drips down from the inside maybe down the b pillar.

fanmods

I have a 04 with water on drivers floor also. Ran water underhood around brake booster and at that time i would see water running inside. There is some type of electrical connection just under brake booster when running water over that general area is when i would get water inside. Just have to figure out how to seal that

YoungOldMan

I have a 04 with water on drivers floor also. Ran water underhood around brake booster and at that time i would see water running inside. There is some type of electrical connection just under brake booster when running water over that general area is when i would get water inside. Just have to figure out how to seal that
You talking about the hood release cable or something else that runs through the firewall?

Brian J. Patterson

Northern Illinois
Something else. Seems to be electeical connection right below the brake booster
I don't have a shop manual open in front of me. But typically, such a connector would be fastened to the firewall and gasketed. Find out which direction the connector is installed from. Remove the connector and inspect it for any cracks or signs of leaking through the connector itself. After resolving any connector issues, put a fresh gasket between the connector and mounting surface, and fasten it back down. Be careful not to over-tighten the fasteners.

It's every bit as time consuming and unpleasant as it sounds. However, you will be rewarded with a dry floor after making the repair, if that is the only place water is intruding the passenger compartment.

Good luck.

HTML