Alarm system

CarolAnnie

I recently had a new battery installed on my 1996 Lincoln Town Car. Had a door ajar light, then drivers side door seemed to be not shutting properly, then my car alarm went off. What is going on? Is there a quick fix?

g_875301

I recently had a new battery installed on my 1996 Lincoln Town Car. Had a door ajar light, then drivers side door seemed to be not shutting properly, then my car alarm went off. What is going on? Is there a quick fix?
I did the same thing new battery and all hell broke loose.
I have same identical problem with my 04 Town car.
Please any help will be appreciated. WS!

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
Welcome to the Forum.

I don't think there is a connection to the battery replacement. The door ajar light and the alarm are connected. Sounds like you need the door ajar switch lubricated or replaced, probably an intermittent fault that may occur when car is locked and armed and that triggers the alarm as though someone has opened a door.

Usually the ajar switch with the problem is noted in the message center.

CarolAnnie

Welcome to the Forum.

I don't think there is a connection to the battery replacement. The door ajar light and the alarm are connected. Sounds like you need the door ajar switch lubricated or replaced, probably an intermittent fault that may occur when car is locked and armed and that triggers the alarm as though someone has opened a door.

Usually the ajar switch with the problem is noted in the message center.[/QUOTE

CarolAnnie

Welcome to the Forum.

Usually the ajar switch with the problem is noted in the message center.
I just went out and reconnected the battery. Sweet silence! I will lubricate the door ajar switch too though. I am glad there is a place I can turn to for help. Thank you, so much, for taking the time to help me out and for sharing your knowledge!

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
The door ajar switch is located in the door latch assembly on the 1996 just the same as the 1998 and up models. It is not a separate item but incorporated into the latch. So a failed ajar switch needs a new door latch. The ajar switch for drivers door is a separate circuit to the LCM while the other 3 doors use a common circuit to the LCM (Lighting Control Module). The LCM can therefore display a driver door ajar message or a passenger door ajar message. The LCM controls the anti theft system as well as the lighting systems.

Lubrication of the door ajar switch should be similar to the 1998 and up models. The 1996 service manual procedure for lubricating the door latch is attached.

Attachments

Town

Ottawa Ontario Canada
The door latch on your 1996 model does have the door ajar switch attached in the same position as the later models. But the procedures do not use ajar switch, instead it is the courtesy lights switch. I have attached the procedure to show how it attaches to the latch. The 1997 procedure is same as the 1996 procedure.

Attachments

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.

HTML