Aftermarket power dual brake options for 56 lincoln premiere

Welcome to the busiest full-spectrum Lincoln community online!

Please join us! We'd really love to have you as a member...

whosthatlincoln

Aug 19, 2022
My Lincoln
56 lincoln premiere
my fiance bought a 56 lincoln premiere and we just went through cleared the lines, rebult the wheel cylinders their is still a small leak in a front caliper on the driver side. and after we bleed the brakes they lose all pressure when the car is running, brake fluid is not leaking like crazy at a stop so i think the brake master is bad in some way. we are going to buy new front cylinders either way but i want to know if anybody knows on a brake master and booster that fit that funky bolt pattern.

Action

Aug 12, 2005
Phoenix, AZ 85008-1418
Welcome to the Forum.

I am a bit confused and then to the conversion.

The factory brakes on all 1956 Lincolns was 4 wheel drum. The brake booster is called a Treadle Vac system made by Bendix.

You stated, "their is still a small leak in a front caliper on the driver side"
Have the front brakes been converted to disc brakes?

Then you stated, "we are going to buy new front cylinders either way". If the front drivers (LF) side has a caliper where are the cylinders going?

Then you said, "after we bleed the brakes they lose all pressure when the car is running, brake fluid is not leaking like crazy at a stop"
I think this means there is no power assistance and the brake fluid level in the master cylinder does not drop after using the vehicle.

My suggestions -

For the lack of power assistance, you can repair, replace the Treadle Vac booster or have someone do it for you. There are kits that have the seals and other wear items. The shop manual will show how the booster comes apart. And there are a lot of You Tube vids on the matter. Ebay is filled with replacement Treadle Vac boosters from parts only to fully rebuilt with a warranty. Finding one for a Lincoln may be tricky. That booster was used a lot on GM vehicles.

Your stated you are replacing the front cylinders? Why?
I would recommend pulling back the dust boot and inspect to see if there is any wetness. Even slightly would be a leak so go ahead and replace. If totally dry, you are replacing a working part. By that logic taken to an extreme, replace the car. It's working too.

If you feel compelled to replace the Treadle Vac booster and master cylinder, just Google treadle vac. You will find all kinds of replacements. Lots! I am not aware of a kit that has an adapter for the mounting. You will have to fabricate a plate for that. Know that both the plate and modified baking system HAS to be designed to stop three tons of steel. This would not be an area to buy a booster and master cylinder designed for a first gen Cougar. This modification will likely burn up the better part of a $1000 (plus labor) after you get the booster, master cylinder, brake lines and brake valving.

If you do decide to replace the Treadle Vac and you are pitching, I would like the core. I will pay for shipping to Phoenix, AZ 85008.

Action

whosthatlincoln

Aug 19, 2022
My Lincoln
56 lincoln premiere
Welcome to the Forum.

I am a bit confused and then to the conversion.

The factory brakes on all 1956 Lincolns was 4 wheel drum. The brake booster is called a Treadle Vac system made by Bendix.

You stated, "their is still a small leak in a front caliper on the driver side"
Have the front brakes been converted to disc brakes?

Then you stated, "we are going to buy new front cylinders either way". If the front drivers (LF) side has a caliper where are the cylinders going?

Then you said, "after we bleed the brakes they lose all pressure when the car is running, brake fluid is not leaking like crazy at a stop"
I think this means there is no power assistance and the brake fluid level in the master cylinder does not drop after using the vehicle.

My suggestions -

For the lack of power assistance, you can repair, replace the Treadle Vac booster or have someone do it for you. There are kits that have the seals and other wear items. The shop manual will show how the booster comes apart. And there are a lot of You Tube vids on the matter. Ebay is filled with replacement Treadle Vac boosters from parts only to fully rebuilt with a warranty. Finding one for a Lincoln may be tricky. That booster was used a lot on GM vehicles.

Your stated you are replacing the front cylinders? Why?
I would recommend pulling back the dust boot and inspect to see if there is any wetness. Even slightly would be a leak so go ahead and replace. If totally dry, you are replacing a working part. By that logic taken to an extreme, replace the car. It's working too.

If you feel compelled to replace the Treadle Vac booster and master cylinder, just Google treadle vac. You will find all kinds of replacements. Lots! I am not aware of a kit that has an adapter for the mounting. You will have to fabricate a plate for that. Know that both the plate and modified baking system HAS to be designed to stop three tons of steel. This would not be an area to buy a booster and master cylinder designed for a first gen Cougar. This modification will likely burn up the better part of a $1000 (plus labor) after you get the booster, master cylinder, brake lines and brake valving.

If you do decide to replace the Treadle Vac and you are pitching, I would like the core. I will pay for shipping to Phoenix, AZ 85008.

Action
that's my bad I was rushing when I typed that, the car is stock all 4 drum brakes, the front cylinders were leaking terribly and the rears were seeping. I was going to buy new fronts cyl. because the driver side has a couple of big corrosion spots on the inside wall. yesterday i pulled the treadle vac system and checked it out, the booster section is missing almost all of the gaskets except on the return side and the internal vacuum hose was glued in, at this time all 4 cyl. have been rebuilt, all brake lines are clean new rubber hoses all around and the master is back on the car and without power applied it seems to be working. if you get the car going about 20 and apply half brake the car stops pretty well but if you try to go full brake the fade starts it will still stop the car and the emergency brake works. i am rushing this a little with hopes it would be on the road before car week in Monterey this year. the car will probably get a later model truck brake set up. I'm just not somebody to buy something just because its the only option(I'm referring to a bolt in option I found online for just a master and booster considering i just put a dual master on a 63 Lincoln for about 400)

Last edited: